FSW PR - Ability to leave Canada?

Old Sep 27th 2017, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

El Supremo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default FSW PR - Ability to leave Canada?

Hi,

I'm in Canada on an IEC permit which expires in March 2018. I've applied for PR via the FSW route around mid-July and am therefore expecting to receiving confirmation in December or January.

I have heard that once PR has been awarded one is unable to leave Canada until the PR card is received in the post. Is this accurate? Would it make any difference if I were to apply for a BOWP?

I'm asking as I need to know whether I can purchase flight tickets so that I can visit the UK during the Christmas period.

Thanks!
Old Sep 27th 2017, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FSW PR - Ability to leave Canada?

There is no problem at all with leaving Canada after gaining PR status.

However, once you gain PR, your eTA will (should) be cancelled, as you are no longer eligible or requiring one. If you leave before the PR card arrives, then in order to re-enter Canada, you will need to (1) Wait outside Canada until the card arrives, and can be couriered to you (2) Request a PR Travel Document from the High Commission (3) Fly back to the US, and cross the land border in a private vehicle.

Also, with your timeline, unless you have a very tight landing deadline due to doing the medical in December 2016, there's no obvious reason why you couldn't sit on an approved PR application through December, fly out of Canada for Christmas, and Land as a PR on your return afterwards?
Old Sep 27th 2017, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
There is no problem at all with leaving Canada after gaining PR status.

However, once you gain PR, your eTA will (should) be cancelled, as you are no longer eligible or requiring one. If you leave before the PR card arrives, then in order to re-enter Canada, you will need to (1) Wait outside Canada until the card arrives, and can be couriered to you (2) Request a PR Travel Document from the High Commission (3) Fly back to the US, and cross the land border in a private vehicle.
My ETA which was obtained prior to receiving PR has yet to be cancelled 10 months later.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
My ETA which was obtained prior to receiving PR has yet to be cancelled 10 months later.
Maybe so but of course cannot ever assume when turning up at checkin someone would be able to board on that basis when they should have a PR card or PRTD.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PB65
Maybe so but of course cannot ever assume when turning up at checkin someone would be able to board on that basis when they should have a PR card or PRTD.
Since I got PR, I have yet to be asked to provide my PR card at check in at any airport. Whereas my wife who doesn't have an ETA has been asked to provide PR card. ETA is just about getting on the plane and it's very much "computer says yes" kind of thing. Once you get to the border, you have to be admitted as you have right of entry (assuming you have copy of landing document).
Old Sep 27th 2017, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Since I got PR, I have yet to be asked to provide my PR card at check in at any airport. Whereas my wife who doesn't have an ETA has been asked to provide PR card. ETA is just about getting on the plane and it's very much "computer says yes" kind of thing.
You definitely need a PR card, PRTD or ETA to board a plane. I don't think the airline staff have any leeway around this. I previously was not allowed to check in until I entered number and expiry date of PR card.

Even if you weren't posting such confusing contradictions, just because some people may not have had their eTA cancelled (as it supposed to happen), does not mean other people can be advised that they will be able to travel without the PRC/PRTD they will be required to have at that point. Easiest way around is, as I said above, to simply use the return as the Landing, rather than flagpoling in advance, and if that can't be done, to assume a need to get a PRTD, or return via the USA.