Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

FSW permanent residency application and UK passport expiry - implications?

FSW permanent residency application and UK passport expiry - implications?

Old May 25th 2010, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Doctor Fish is an unknown quantity at this point
Question FSW permanent residency application and UK passport expiry - implications?

Hi there,

I applied for FSW permanent residency under the "simplified" process a few years ago through London. I have been living and working in Vancouver, BC under an approximately 3 year work permit since 2008.

I recently received a letter from the High Commission of Canada, London advising me that my file had been transferred to the Case Processing Pilot-Ottawa to speed up processing and that I had to provide the documents listed (police certificate and all the application forms etc.) within 120 days of the letter date.

I just realized that my UK passport is due to expire next year, in August 2011, and I'm wondering if I should renew it now before I submit these documents? The reason my work permit is "approximately" 3 years is that the validity of it could apparently only extend to the expiration date on my passport and I'm therefore concerned about the implications of not renewing my UK passport now with regards to the permanent residency process?

The reason I don't want to just go ahead and renew it anyway if I don't have to is that these documents are all due at the beginning of July and I'm concerned about getting my passport back in time if I decide to renew it.

FYI, on receiving permanent residency status my intention would be to remain in Canada and apply for citizenship.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
Old May 27th 2010, 12:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FSW permanent residency application and UK passport expiry - implications?

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

I'm not 100% sure of the answer to your question I'm afraid, but if you do a search then I'm sure you'll find the answer as I know it's been asked before.

Old May 27th 2010, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FSW permanent residency application and UK passport expiry - implications?

August 2011 is still quite a way in the future.

The only issue with your passport expiry is how long you will have to activate your PR. You are already in Canada, so there is little chance of you not having enough time to activate your Permanant residency.

If this was 2011, I would say renew your passport but as it is only May 2010, I'd say wait.
Old May 27th 2010, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: FSW permanent residency application and UK passport expiry - implications?

Thanks for the responses. I am going to wait to renew my passport. So, just to confirm, is it not the case then that if I'm granted permanent residency status it will only be valid until the passport I use for my application expires or is it not linked to my passport in this way. If it is linked to my passport in this way, is it a simple process to revalidate the permanent residency status/card?

Cheers!
Old May 27th 2010, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

To keep your permanent residency status, you just need to stay in Canada at least 2 years out of every 5 years. It has nothing to do with the validity of your UK passport.
Old May 27th 2010, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: FSW permanent residency application and UK passport expiry - implications?

Great - thanks for the info!