Just Joined

pennydog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FSW - letter of reference

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Good luck.
Thank you!
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

dwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud of

You could also mention all the recent press coverage about the new mortgage processing changes that are making it more difficult to get through the application process as being an additional reason for the lender asking for a reference. Its been pretty high profile, especially over the weekend just past so your colleagues probably seen it. Another common reason a reference might be requested is that your P60 doesn't break down basic pay, overtime, bonus etc and lenders assess these income elements differently, so they *may* request a reference to confirm that your P60 income is all basic.

If all else fails, get some company headed paper and write your own reference....

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just do a quick Google for 'employers reference mortgage' and it will tell her why employment refs are requested (I've had one requested for the last two mortgages we've applied for). It's not for proof of income, it's proof of how long you've been employed there and your job etc, so the P60 often isn't enough.

So it would be perfectly normal, you've just got to convince her of that (and hope she doesn't insist on addressing it to your mortgage company!).

Good luck.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dwight-van-man
You could also mention all the recent press coverage about the new mortgage processing changes that are making it more difficult to get through the application process as being an additional reason for the lender asking for a reference. Its been pretty high profile, especially over the weekend just past so your colleagues probably seen it.
That's a great idea.

Originally Posted by dwight-van-man
If all else fails, get some company headed paper and write your own reference....
That's not a great idea.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Sorry I've totally hijacked this thread now. I did actually mention the latest news (and funnily enough about a week or two ago I did mention that our fixed mortgage is coming to an end so I need to re-evaluate- how lucky is that?) and will continue to! I've looked at the mortgage reference letters info online and I'm a bit calmer now.

My next question though is what is the likelihood of the visa office ringing my employer for verification, and when in the process would that happen? I have a feeling this may come back to bite me!

Thank you
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennydog
Sorry I've totally hijacked this thread now. I did actually mention the latest news (and funnily enough about a week or two ago I did mention that our fixed mortgage is coming to an end so I need to re-evaluate- how lucky is that?) and will continue to! I've looked at the mortgage reference letters info online and I'm a bit calmer now.

My next question though is what is the likelihood of the visa office ringing my employer for verification, and when in the process would that happen? I have a feeling this may come back to bite me!

Thank you
If you're a Brit, I'd say it's incredibly unlikely. In numerous years of working in immigration and being a mod on this forum, the only time I've ever heard of CIC running verification checks is when the applicant is from a high fraud country i.e. India or Nigeria.

Could you maybe offer to type up the reference so your colleague only has to sign it? That way you'll save her a job and also get to say exactly what you want on it, so can make sure it lists your duties etc as required.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

They might pick a handful of applicants randomly to check but it's probably highly unlikely they will pick you. Worry about that if the time comes. Your employer may be peeved that you lied but they will still have to back up the letter they wrote
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

This is my colleague who car shares with me, she's accounts, purchasing and HR manager because we're only a small company. If I now went direct to the MD to tell him my plans, she would know about it because he would assign the job to her to do (as well as discussing it with her anyway), so it would be obvious that I lied. I'm getting a bit panicky now if I'm honest.
This is why I always advocate the honesty route, its usually the best in the long run. As a manager myself, I would be more annoyed that a member of staff lied to me than if they were emigrating, it would prove that basically they were untrustworthy and to me being trustworthy is basically THE most important quality in a person...............
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Eddmac
This is why I always advocate the honesty route, its usually the best in the long run. As a manager myself, I would be more annoyed that a member of staff lied to me than if they were emigrating, it would prove that basically they were untrustworthy and to me being trustworthy is basically THE most important quality in a person...............
I totally get where you're coming from and you are definitely right but I have major confidence issues as I've had employment troubles a few times in the past. Plus it's too late now it's already been said.

I was planning on writing the letter anyway, she's very busy right now and I think that's why she was snappy about it this morning TBH.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

I totally get where you're coming from and you are definitely right but I have major confidence issues as I've had employment troubles a few times in the past. Plus it's too late now it's already been said.

I was planning on writing the letter anyway, she's very busy right now and I think that's why she was snappy about it this morning TBH.
I hope it works out for you
Old May 8th 2014, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Well it worked and I have all the paperwork bar the ielts in a fortnight! Thanks christmasoompa- if I get in I owe you a beverage
Old May 8th 2014, 5:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Well it worked and I have all the paperwork bar the ielts in a fortnight! Thanks christmasoompa- if I get in I owe you a beverage
Brilliant, well done.