FSW employer letters

Old Jan 16th 2014, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

miss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond repute
Default FSW employer letters

Hi I was just looking for some advice on employer letters. I've contacted my previous employers, going back to 10 years ago. I know there is very specific information required on these letters, including job descriptions, etc. However some of my employers have returned my letters but have not put all this information on the letter, and one particular employer do not write personal references and cannot include job descriptions, salary etc on it (apparently it's their HR policy). So would these not be valid and I would lose points on this, and is there any solution to this?
Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sheffield UK - Victoria BC bound (one day, in a galaxy far, far away...)
witchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: FSW employer letters

Originally Posted by miss_mp
Hi I was just looking for some advice on employer letters. I've contacted my previous employers, going back to 10 years ago. I know there is very specific information required on these letters, including job descriptions, etc. However some of my employers have returned my letters but have not put all this information on the letter, and one particular employer do not write personal references and cannot include job descriptions, salary etc on it (apparently it's their HR policy). So would these not be valid and I would lose points on this, and is there any solution to this?
Thanks in advance.
Although a while ago now, I had a couple of jobs like this, including one no longer operating. You include the letter / email they sent you (presuming they did!) stating just that, and I added an explanation myself and payslips and bank statements/P45s etc. Also, see if you have the job description or original letter of employment offer. I also listed the duties I did on this job. Would any of your previous managers give you a personal reference?

Some of my letters from employers did not go into full detail and were more like reference letters, but I still included them and again added my note about full duties. If contact details are included, then CIC can always call to confirm.

Just do your best and put as much additional evidence and info as you can with each one.

This is what I did, and we received PR last month (after 3.5 yrs!). Of course, it will still boil down to the officer reading your file, as to what they accept. But the best of luck to you.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

miss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks witchiliez for your advice, that's really helpful, and congrats on getting your PR, that's great news, and must be a relief to hear back after so long! Hope your move over goes well.

I think think some of my problems is with my older employer, since going back 10 years is a long time, and I've had different jobs and taken career changes. One of my employers from almost 10 years ago have come back to say HR have destroyed old records so he doesn't have dates, and he's being awkward about writing a letter since it was so long ago. Does the letter have to be dated recently? I do have one he wrote about a year and a half ago but again it was brief. Unfortunately I've not kept a lot of my old P45's or job descriptions. Would it be valid, if we listed the duties ourselves on a separate letter? I'm a bit concerned that I might not get enough points if I lose points for not having enough evidence to show I do have work experience - it's the employers I've spent large chunks of time in in skilled employment, the ones who can't provide all the evidence.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sheffield UK - Victoria BC bound (one day, in a galaxy far, far away...)
witchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by miss_mp
Thanks witchiliez for your advice, that's really helpful, and congrats on getting your PR, that's great news, and must be a relief to hear back after so long! Hope your move over goes well.

I think think some of my problems is with my older employer, since going back 10 years is a long time, and I've had different jobs and taken career changes. One of my employers from almost 10 years ago have come back to say HR have destroyed old records so he doesn't have dates, and he's being awkward about writing a letter since it was so long ago. Does the letter have to be dated recently? I do have one he wrote about a year and a half ago but again it was brief. Unfortunately I've not kept a lot of my old P45's or job descriptions. Would it be valid, if we listed the duties ourselves on a separate letter? I'm a bit concerned that I might not get enough points if I lose points for not having enough evidence to show I do have work experience - it's the employers I've spent large chunks of time in in skilled employment, the ones who can't provide all the evidence.
I too had a 'varied' work history! I would say something from 18 months ago would be fine - I would have used that, certainly. Just explain on a separate piece of paper, as you mentioned. I would do a separate explanation on a new piece of paper for each one. I only suggested P45s, payslips as extra back-up evidence. Also used an old bank statement (with wages circled) at one part to show I had worked for an employer. Ask your old employer if he can say approximately in his letter then, and to explain that the records have been destroyed. You may wish to use some complimentary/flattering tactics here - worked for me!

As I said, mine were a bit hit and miss, with some jobs having good letters/evidence, others being slim. If you have any old bus cards, correspondence, etc. that might help as proof you worked for them. We had been trying to get to Canada long before this last application, so I had lots of junk stored around the house. Do you have any plastic bags/shoe boxes with old P60s etc. hidden away anywhere?

If not, and still slim on evidence, then I would say to ask the employer (or manager) to email you at worst, explaining that you did work for the company and outlining your role (even if not comprehensive). Add your letter explaining in more detail. Make sure the letter (or email) has contact details on though.

If our old employer doesn't want to write a new letter, then send the old one, and add his recent email (I am presuming you emailed rather than phoned?)as well, to show his reluctance to add new info. If you phoned/spoke in person, then send him a nice email asking if he could just reply with a brief description, that you would be eternally grateful, etc. Then you have something up to date to add to it. I printed out at least 2 emails from employers. Also, was there another manager you could maybe track down to confirm your employment/duties? Also worth a shot.

Keep it separated and neat (I think they used to say no to staples and paper clips, so I used a folded blank paper to separate the different jobs) - anything to make it easier to work through for the officer.

Good luck!
Old Jan 18th 2014, 7:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't get any proof from an employer, then the best thing to include is a National Insurance print out, which will show all the jobs.

Plus any other proof such as employment contracts, payslips, etc.

HTH.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Witchileiz and Christmasoopma for your suggestions. Thankfully I did email my boss and still have his email reply about my records being destroyed. I think I'll have a good search through my things but I've been quite good at clearing out old things which at the time, I don't think I would need again, and unfortunately I think I have thrown out old contracts and tax letters. Thanks for the idea about the National Insurance Number, I'll get in touch with HMRC and ask if they can provide me with information on my employments.

I think job descriptions might be something I'm a bit stuck with, as I've not kept old contracts. Would there be any way round this you think? I've tried phoning the HR department in one of my employments and explained it was for visa purposes and asked if they could provide some job description or mention my duties, but there said it was there policy and nothing much they could do.

Thanks for the good tips witchileiz, I really appreciate it!