Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

FSW - education and work experience - help please

FSW - education and work experience - help please

Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:08 am
Canadian Wannabe :-)

BabyG will become famous soon enoughBabyG will become famous soon enough
Default FSW - education and work experience - help please

Hi all,

I have been trying to sort out my dates and documents and have come up against a brick wall mainly because I thought I would be getting max points for education and work experience, but it seems that's not the case.

I'm giving a breakdown below, so please let me know if I have calculated my points correctly:

Education
High school = 5yrs
College = 2yrs
Uni (degree) = 3yrs
Training yr (while working) = 1yr
Uni (postgrad) = 1yr
Training year (while working) = 1yr
Other courses on a part time learning = 6 months FT study

Grand total = 13yrs = 15 points

So my level of education = 25points, but the amount of time I have spent studying only gives 15points.

Is this right?

Work experience
I have been working for the last 13yrs in total = 21points

But under my NOC code (A-403) Educational Counsellor I have done the following:
8months - full time
1yr - full time (3 short contracts but through 1 employment agency)
6weeks - part time

....And now it gets complicated....
One company 2 different contracts
Contract 1 = 11 months - full time
Contract 2 = 1yr 3months - part time

What do I count and how many points should I allocate?

I hope those of you who are still awake will be able to help.... Those of you who have switched off due to the sudden occurrence of a headache - I'm totally not offended.

Please help
BabyG

P.s - have booked IELTS, but considering cancelling it, have requested reference letters but not holding my breath and some companies don't exist anymore, And I'm 34 (so that's my only secure 10points)....
Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FSW - education and work experience - help please

You seem to be misunderstanding the points system so don't panic just yet!

Originally Posted by BabyG
Grand total = 13yrs = 15 points

So my level of education = 25points, but the amount of time I have spent studying only gives 15points.

Is this right?
Are you looking at the new points system? It's just for a Masters degree you'd get 23 points under that, it was 25 under the old system so I'm wondering if you're looking at that?

But in any event, you don't seem to have counted primary schooling? You do include that as well, it's everything you've ever done. So by my reckoning, you've got at least 18 years, 20 if you include the on the job training years (you can only do that if they were part of a formal qualification).

Work experience
I have been working for the last 13yrs in total = 21points

But under my NOC code (A-403) Educational Counsellor I have done the following:
8months - full time
1yr - full time (3 short contracts but through 1 employment agency)
6weeks - part time

....And now it gets complicated....
One company 2 different contracts
Contract 1 = 11 months - full time
Contract 2 = 1yr 3months - part time

What do I count and how many points should I allocate?
Again, why are you only including the time spent under your current NOC code? It's for any skilled work experience, so unless you didn't do any skilled job prior to becoming an educational counsellor, then you'd get the maximum points.

So, as I said the other day, by my calculations you are well and truly over the minimum of 67 required.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:26 am

This is the guide I've been staring at all evening... Am I on the wrong page??

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...G7TOC.asp#eg72

Please tell it is the wrong one.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It is.

It's the right page if you were applying as a FSW now, i.e. you have a job offer or qualify under the PhD stream.

But as you won't be applying until May when the new program opens, you need to look at the new points system - http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2012/2.../reg2-eng.html

But either way, you're misunderstand the years of education thing (you should include primary), and the years of work experience too (you must include *all* skilled work experience, not just your current NOC code).

HTH.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:34 am

And I got this link from this webpage - last link "Instruction guide [IMM EG7000]"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/skilled.asp

Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:42 am

So all other links (on this webpage) except the last one, are the right ones to use for the May 2013 FSW application?

(I can feel an early night coming on!)

Christmasoompa, have you thought of opening up your own consultancy??

And I got this link from this webpage - last link "Instruction guide [IMM EG7000]"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/skilled.asp
Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

So all other links (on this webpage) except the last one, are the right ones to use for the May 2013 FSW application?
Well, possibly. Not terribly helpful I know, but nobody knows yet whether CIC will change all of the forms before the new program opens, or maybe just one of the forms, or maybe none of the forms, or......you get the picture.

Best thing to do is gather all of your paperwork (some things will never change i.e. the requirement for educational certs etc), and fill in the forms, but keep checking to make sure they've not been updated since they did them.

And no, I've never thought about opening up my own consultancy. But only because working in somebody else's for 3 years has been enough for me.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 11:25 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Well, possibly. Not terribly helpful I know, but nobody knows yet whether CIC will change all of the forms before the new program opens, or maybe just one of the forms, or maybe none of the forms, or......you get the picture.

Best thing to do is gather all of your paperwork (some things will never change i.e. the requirement for educational certs etc), and fill in the forms, but keep checking to make sure they've not been updated since they did them.

And no, I've never thought about opening up my own consultancy. But only because working in somebody else's for 3 years has been enough for me.
LOL to the last paragraph ;0)