Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

FSW - Do you get points for having friends in Canada?

FSW - Do you get points for having friends in Canada?

Old May 13th 2009, 12:38 am
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold
Default FSW - Do you get points for having friends in Canada?

I was just wondering because the very first eligibility test I took was with Migration Expert and at the time I had taken it for fun, but I do remember getting points for having friends in Canada. The CIC one though only asks if you have family. Can you claim points for having friends in Canada or is that just Migration Expert trying to scrape together as many points for you as possible so you pass and they can get money out of you?
Old May 13th 2009, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: FSW - Do you get points for having friends in Canada?

Originally Posted by engineer80
I was just wondering because the very first eligibility test I took was with Migration Expert and at the time I had taken it for fun, but I do remember getting points for having friends in Canada. The CIC one though only asks if you have family. Can you claim points for having friends in Canada or is that just Migration Expert trying to scrape together as many points for you as possible so you pass and they can get money out of you?
No, I'm afraid you can't. The CIC eligibily test is the official one.

HTH
Old May 13th 2009, 5:22 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

The person that deals with our application has to make an assessment of whether or not you will become settled in Canada. I suppose that having friends here may make a little difference to this (but quite possibly may not).

Definitely no points for friends.
Old May 13th 2009, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Monkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to allMonkey Puzzle is a name known to all

Sorry, engineer80, I thought you were having a tin bath there! Well, it was worth asking, I suppose.

What is the definition of a "friend", anyway... You'd be WELL IN if you could count your BE friends cos you have LOTS of them!!! (Though so many of us are in Canada on kind of shaky ground "immigration-wise" ..maybe we wouldn't even count anyway..)

Good luck with your application
Old May 13th 2009, 5:57 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

You definitely cannot score Points (for a Skilled Worker application) for having friends in Canada, no matter how many.

The only possible exceptions are a couple of Provinces (e.g. Nova Scotia) which have streams of their PNP programs that are based on your "connections" to a particular community. So if you have long-standing connections (friends or otherwise) you may qualify for that PNP.