Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

FSW Applications - Spousal Information

FSW Applications - Spousal Information

Old Jun 9th 2011, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute
Default FSW Applications - Spousal Information

Hey Guys/Gals

OK So I am filling in le app.

Based on FSW visa status. Well trying!

The questions I have are for Numbers 6 and 7 of the Supporting documents.

EDUCATION/TRAINING/QUALIFICATIONS
For you, your spouse or common-law partner:
•Post-secondary education documents: vocational or technical certificates or diplomas;
•College or university documents: certification of completion and the graduation degree, diploma, or certificate issued by the college or university and the evaluation committee;
•Transcripts: original transcripts of all degrees must be submitted in university-sealed envelopes.

WORK EXPERIENCE
For you and your spouse or common-law partner:
•notarized employment contracts from your present and past employers, accompanied by an English or French translation
•original and up-to-date letters of reference from your past and current employers. Letters must be written on company letterhead and show the company’s full address, telephone and fax numbers, and be stamped with the company’s official seal.
1. Do I need and if so why do I need to provide employment information for my spouse. He is self employed so it is a bit difficult to do employment contracts, references etc. He can write something up but it is such a small business, it would look completely unofficial.

Do any of you please have any experience/know if I need to provide info for my spouse also (as it is FSW and I am the principal applicant)

2. Ditto for education

Thankyou !!!
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:24 am
Account Closed

mojovibe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FSW Applications - Spousal Information

You just need to provide copies of such documentation, where there is no information available, you just need to self declare his or your work experience in a letter. And in turn have them notarised by a notary public, I must tell you though that they're quite expensive. I was charged nearly £800.00 for 57 documents to be notarised.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 4:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You do need to include the information that they ask for, but if he's self-employed then he can use other documents. A quick search of the forum will tell you what others have done, but basically it'll be references from clients rather than employers, a letter from his accountant, print out of his company info from the Companies House website etc.

Oh, and many of us (including myself) didn't bother getting anything notorised with no problems - a recent poll showed that about a third did do it, but most didn't.

HTH.

Old Jun 10th 2011, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mojovibe
You just need to provide copies of such documentation, where there is no information available, you just need to self declare his or your work experience in a letter. And in turn have them notarised by a notary public, I must tell you though that they're quite expensive. I was charged nearly £800.00 for 57 documents to be notarised.
Gawsh, these immigration things are expensive Ta mojo
Old Jun 10th 2011, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You do need to include the information that they ask for, but if he's self-employed then he can use other documents. A quick search of the forum will tell you what others have done, but basically it'll be references from clients rather than employers, a letter from his accountant, print out of his company info from the Companies House website etc.

Oh, and many of us (including myself) didn't bother getting anything notorised with no problems - a recent poll showed that about a third did do it, but most didn't.

HTH.

Thankya Fun Sponge (Again)

I've asked the other half to see what can be gathered. It'll be very poor unfortunately. I hope though that FSW means the focus would be more on MY experience/skills (as principal app) rather than his ??

Old Jun 10th 2011, 5:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floatsy
I've asked the other half to see what can be gathered. It'll be very poor unfortunately. I hope though that FSW means the focus would be more on MY experience/skills (as principal app) rather than his ??
It will be focused more on you, and in fact it's a fairly recent thing, spouses never used to have to provide work references etc. But still give as much as you can do, and if you can't provide much, explain why in your covering letter.

Old Jun 10th 2011, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It will be focused more on you, and in fact it's a fairly recent thing, spouses never used to have to provide work references etc. But still give as much as you can do, and if you can't provide much, explain why in your covering letter.

Merci christmasoompa (and phew more relieved. I will do what I can around this, but that makes me feel better as spouse part would have been very hard)
Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Bexie7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had as much info about myself and my spouse notarised, as I could possibly gather. Figured too much info is better than not enough. Also including letter about why we can't provide some stuff. I didn't get charged anywhere near this much. Went to local magistrates court and they charged £25 for as many documents as I wanted.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 11:07 pm
Account Closed

That's worth knowing then, I didn't know they offered a service. I knew that they were a notary public, but I wish I knew that kind of service was available to the public requiring affit davits.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 5:44 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, that is expensive. Also, that is a lot of documents - most people applying for PR wouldn't have that many, I am sure.
The Notary Society in the UK has guidelines for charges that notaries can charge and we had all the stuff done for our FSW application for £90. I had everything in folders which were ordered so that the original document and the photocopy were together for speed so he just whizzed through the stuff. As it is charged like lawyers by the hour, it is worth doing this before you go to save your time and money.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

So did I, I had every copy in the same order as the original docs. I thought that he would have just looked and compared the copies. I think he charged around 180.00 per hour plus VAT? Whilst I was there explaining to him what I wanted them notarising for, he showed me his watch and said that 40 minutes had already passed, but he would be as quick as he could. He usually notarises PHDs and degrees for professionals coming into the UK from overseas. I had copies of my City and Guilds along with my degree that I never used notarised along with letters from companies, explaining that they didn't have personnel files that went back more than 6 years. So I had to self declare most of my past, including self employed days of which I had copies accounts to back it up.

I wasn't sure whether or not I should've handwritten my self declared past, so I just wrote them out in rough. As I thought that he would've typed them out for me and then for me to sign them. Only to find out that he sealed the letters which in my opinion could've been neater. Anyway they're at the CIC and being dealt with now. I honestly expected around £200.00, but when I opened the email with the invoice, I almost went light headed and couldn't stand up. If I had of known that the magistrates carried out such a service, I would've used them. But I thought they were members of the Notary Public by default so they could execute their duties, but not provide a signing and notarising service to the public for documents.