Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

FSW Application - Nursing - Education

FSW Application - Nursing - Education

Old May 19th 2012, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light
Default FSW Application - Nursing - Education

Hi all (apologies for the detailed post),

Quite confused here. My wife (principal applicant) and I are filling out the paperwork for our FSW application ready for July.

We want to verify we have enough points and are stuck on the education section. Things as they stand.
  • My wife completed a 3 year nursing diploma
  • It was done at university
  • This is NOT a degree qualification

Now, according to the application form guidance we should put down "Post-Secondary - No Degree" as her education level (guidance notes state - Post-secondary studies at a college or university but no degree earned).

Fine, so far so good, everything is making sense. Then we thought we'd better go and double check our points score, so we went to the points calculator (here), and we are confronted with the following, none of which seem to match my wife's nursing course as outlined in the list above. The choices are:
  1. Did not complete secondary school (also called high school)
  2. Obtained a secondary school credential
  3. Obtained a one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 12 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  4. Obtained a one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 13 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  5. Obtained a one-year university degree at the bachelor’s level and completed at least 13 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  6. Obtained a two-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  7. Obtained a university degree of two years or more at the bachelor’s level and completed at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  8. Obtained a three-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship (other than university) and completed at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  9. Obtained two or more university degrees at the bachelor’s level and completed at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  10. Obtained a master’s or Ph.D. and completed at least 17 years of full-time education or full-time equivalent studies

Some of these are obviously not applicable, but our problem is we don't know which one is (possibly #6 but my wife has a 3 year diploma, not a 2 year. #8 covers a 3 year diploma, BUT it states "other than university").

We want to make sure we have evaluated our points score correctly, so can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance
Old May 19th 2012, 5:40 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FSW Application - Nursing - Education

Hi

Originally Posted by scribe123
Hi all (apologies for the detailed post),

Quite confused here. My wife (principal applicant) and I are filling out the paperwork for our FSW application ready for July.

We want to verify we have enough points and are stuck on the education section. Things as they stand.
  • My wife completed a 3 year nursing diploma
  • It was done at university
  • This is NOT a degree qualification

Now, according to the application form guidance we should put down "Post-Secondary - No Degree" as her education level (guidance notes state - Post-secondary studies at a college or university but no degree earned).

Fine, so far so good, everything is making sense. Then we thought we'd better go and double check our points score, so we went to the points calculator (here), and we are confronted with the following, none of which seem to match my wife's nursing course as outlined in the list above. The choices are:
  1. Did not complete secondary school (also called high school)
  2. Obtained a secondary school credential
  3. Obtained a one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 12 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  4. Obtained a one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 13 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  5. Obtained a one-year university degree at the bachelor’s level and completed at least 13 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  6. Obtained a two-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  7. Obtained a university degree of two years or more at the bachelor’s level and completed at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  8. Obtained a three-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship (other than university) and completed at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  9. Obtained two or more university degrees at the bachelor’s level and completed at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  10. Obtained a master’s or Ph.D. and completed at least 17 years of full-time education or full-time equivalent studies

Some of these are obviously not applicable, but our problem is we don't know which one is (possibly #6 but my wife has a 3 year diploma, not a 2 year. #8 covers a 3 year diploma, BUT it states "other than university").

We want to make sure we have evaluated our points score correctly, so can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance
Old May 19th 2012, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks.

I think that's what we selected when we originally assessed our score, but we are bothered by someone at the visa office not agreeing because of the words "other than university" in the description, and awarding us the next best lower choice.
Old May 19th 2012, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nice

Have you applied for registration in a canadian province yet?
The next set of MIs will probbably require qualifications to be assessed prior to application submission.
Old May 20th 2012, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sdo1982
The next set of MIs will probbably require qualifications to be assessed prior to application submission.
They may well do. That's another thing on our list and I doubt that will be complete by July, but we're pressing ahead anyway. We'd be pretty pissed off if we took our time with our application whilst we waited for CARNA to come back to us, only to find out we don't need to do that and miss the quota this year too.

That aside, any different opinions on which one to select?
Old May 20th 2012, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

you really better off applying to the province you plan on living and working in. Registering with the provincial college, any of them, is expensive and time comsuming
Old May 20th 2012, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
you really better off applying to the province you plan on living and working in. Registering with the provincial college, any of them, is expensive and time comsuming
I thought CARNA was the place to register with for Alberta. Is there another (quicker) place to register with?
Old May 20th 2012, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

peeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond repute

CARNA (College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta) is the place to apply to if you want to register to practice in Alberta. I am going to be a little peeved if I have to wait for my qualifications to be assessed prior to submission as it takes roughly 12 months for nursing credentials to be assessed at present....so I wouldn't be able to submit until next year!! Nooooo!!
Old May 20th 2012, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by peeshpie
CARNA (College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta) is the place to apply to if you want to register to practice in Alberta. I am going to be a little peeved if I have to wait for my qualifications to be assessed prior to submission as it takes roughly 12 months for nursing credentials to be assessed at present....so I wouldn't be able to submit until next year!! Nooooo!!
Ditto, we missed out last year due to the quota. To be be delayed again would be so frustrating.

We'll just have to wait and see, carrying on like qualification assessment isn't a requirement for PR (and hope it stays that way). We'll be applying to CARNA asap anyway, so that's another $525 to add to the cost of our Canadian dream.
Old May 20th 2012, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

You do not need to apply to the college of RN at the moment before PR that may change but not a requirement at present
Old May 21st 2012, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by sdo1982
Im confused... why do they have to do that?..

And what is MIs...?
Old May 21st 2012, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alcat2010
Im confused... why do they have to do that?..

And what is MIs...?
Ministerial Instructions.

There was a article put out a month or so ago stating a minister would like to have foreign qualifications assessed before PR is granted (or applied for - can't remember which).

As a result many think this will be a new requirement for when the quota is reset, and are waiting for a new instruction stating so to be released. It may or may not happen.

We are going to go ahead and apply to CARNA asap, but if that is a requirement before we can apply for PR it will be frustrating as I hear it can take up to 12 months and it costs $525 CAD.