Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

FSW Application - Nursing - Education

FSW Application - Nursing - Education

Old May 19th 2012, 5:02 am
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: 42
Posts: 931
scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light
Default FSW Application - Nursing - Education

Hi all (apologies for the detailed post),

Quite confused here. My wife (principal applicant) and I are filling out the paperwork for our FSW application ready for July.

We want to verify we have enough points and are stuck on the education section. Things as they stand.
  • My wife completed a 3 year nursing diploma
  • It was done at university
  • This is NOT a degree qualification

Now, according to the application form guidance we should put down "Post-Secondary - No Degree" as her education level (guidance notes state - Post-secondary studies at a college or university but no degree earned).

Fine, so far so good, everything is making sense. Then we thought we'd better go and double check our points score, so we went to the points calculator (here), and we are confronted with the following, none of which seem to match my wife's nursing course as outlined in the list above. The choices are:
  1. Did not complete secondary school (also called high school)
  2. Obtained a secondary school credential
  3. Obtained a one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 12 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  4. Obtained a one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 13 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  5. Obtained a one-year university degree at the bachelor’s level and completed at least 13 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  6. Obtained a two-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  7. Obtained a university degree of two years or more at the bachelor’s level and completed at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  8. Obtained a three-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship (other than university) and completed at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  9. Obtained two or more university degrees at the bachelor’s level and completed at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  10. Obtained a master’s or Ph.D. and completed at least 17 years of full-time education or full-time equivalent studies

Some of these are obviously not applicable, but our problem is we don't know which one is (possibly #6 but my wife has a 3 year diploma, not a 2 year. #8 covers a 3 year diploma, BUT it states "other than university").

We want to make sure we have evaluated our points score correctly, so can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance
scribe123 is offline  
Old May 19th 2012, 5:40 am
  #2  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,708
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FSW Application - Nursing - Education

Hi

Originally Posted by scribe123
Hi all (apologies for the detailed post),

Quite confused here. My wife (principal applicant) and I are filling out the paperwork for our FSW application ready for July.

We want to verify we have enough points and are stuck on the education section. Things as they stand.
  • My wife completed a 3 year nursing diploma
  • It was done at university
  • This is NOT a degree qualification

Now, according to the application form guidance we should put down "Post-Secondary - No Degree" as her education level (guidance notes state - Post-secondary studies at a college or university but no degree earned).

Fine, so far so good, everything is making sense. Then we thought we'd better go and double check our points score, so we went to the points calculator (here), and we are confronted with the following, none of which seem to match my wife's nursing course as outlined in the list above. The choices are:
  1. Did not complete secondary school (also called high school)
  2. Obtained a secondary school credential
  3. Obtained a one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 12 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  4. Obtained a one-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 13 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  5. Obtained a one-year university degree at the bachelor’s level and completed at least 13 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  6. Obtained a two-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship and completed at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  7. Obtained a university degree of two years or more at the bachelor’s level and completed at least 14 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  8. Obtained a three-year diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship (other than university) and completed at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  9. Obtained two or more university degrees at the bachelor’s level and completed at least 15 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies
  10. Obtained a master’s or Ph.D. and completed at least 17 years of full-time education or full-time equivalent studies

Some of these are obviously not applicable, but our problem is we don't know which one is (possibly #6 but my wife has a 3 year diploma, not a 2 year. #8 covers a 3 year diploma, BUT it states "other than university").

We want to make sure we have evaluated our points score correctly, so can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance
#8
PMM is offline  
Old May 19th 2012, 5:58 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: 42
Posts: 931
scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: FSW Application - Nursing - Education

Thanks.

I think that's what we selected when we originally assessed our score, but we are bothered by someone at the visa office not agreeing because of the words "other than university" in the description, and awarding us the next best lower choice.
scribe123 is offline  
Old May 19th 2012, 10:53 pm
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
sdo1982's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 330
sdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nice
Default Re: FSW Application - Nursing - Education

Have you applied for registration in a canadian province yet?
The next set of MIs will probbably require qualifications to be assessed prior to application submission.
sdo1982 is offline  
Old May 20th 2012, 12:09 am
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: 42
Posts: 931
scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: FSW Application - Nursing - Education

Originally Posted by sdo1982
Have you applied for registration in a canadian province yet?
The next set of MIs will probbably require qualifications to be assessed prior to application submission.
They may well do. That's another thing on our list and I doubt that will be complete by July, but we're pressing ahead anyway. We'd be pretty pissed off if we took our time with our application whilst we waited for CARNA to come back to us, only to find out we don't need to do that and miss the quota this year too.

That aside, any different opinions on which one to select?
scribe123 is offline  
Old May 20th 2012, 1:00 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Silverdragon102's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Amherst Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,935
Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FSW Application - Nursing - Education

you really better off applying to the province you plan on living and working in. Registering with the provincial college, any of them, is expensive and time comsuming
Silverdragon102 is offline  
Old May 20th 2012, 2:31 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: 42
Posts: 931
scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: FSW Application - Nursing - Education

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
you really better off applying to the province you plan on living and working in. Registering with the provincial college, any of them, is expensive and time comsuming
I thought CARNA was the place to register with for Alberta. Is there another (quicker) place to register with?
scribe123 is offline  
Old May 20th 2012, 4:16 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 74
peeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond reputepeeshpie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FSW Application - Nursing - Education

CARNA (College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta) is the place to apply to if you want to register to practice in Alberta. I am going to be a little peeved if I have to wait for my qualifications to be assessed prior to submission as it takes roughly 12 months for nursing credentials to be assessed at present....so I wouldn't be able to submit until next year!! Nooooo!!
peeshpie is offline  
Old May 20th 2012, 7:35 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: 42
Posts: 931
scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: FSW Application - Nursing - Education

Originally Posted by peeshpie
CARNA (College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta) is the place to apply to if you want to register to practice in Alberta. I am going to be a little peeved if I have to wait for my qualifications to be assessed prior to submission as it takes roughly 12 months for nursing credentials to be assessed at present....so I wouldn't be able to submit until next year!! Nooooo!!
Ditto, we missed out last year due to the quota. To be be delayed again would be so frustrating.

We'll just have to wait and see, carrying on like qualification assessment isn't a requirement for PR (and hope it stays that way). We'll be applying to CARNA asap anyway, so that's another $525 to add to the cost of our Canadian dream.
scribe123 is offline  
Old May 20th 2012, 10:15 am
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
Silverdragon102's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Amherst Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,935
Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FSW Application - Nursing - Education

You do not need to apply to the college of RN at the moment before PR that may change but not a requirement at present
Silverdragon102 is offline  
Old May 21st 2012, 1:25 am
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: glasgow
Posts: 326
alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice
Default Re: FSW Application - Nursing - Education

Originally Posted by sdo1982
Have you applied for registration in a canadian province yet?
The next set of MIs will probbably require qualifications to be assessed prior to application submission.
Im confused... why do they have to do that?..

And what is MIs...?
alcat2010 is offline  
Old May 21st 2012, 2:02 am
  #12  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: 42
Posts: 931
scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: FSW Application - Nursing - Education

Originally Posted by alcat2010
Im confused... why do they have to do that?..

And what is MIs...?
Ministerial Instructions.

There was a article put out a month or so ago stating a minister would like to have foreign qualifications assessed before PR is granted (or applied for - can't remember which).

As a result many think this will be a new requirement for when the quota is reset, and are waiting for a new instruction stating so to be released. It may or may not happen.

We are going to go ahead and apply to CARNA asap, but if that is a requirement before we can apply for PR it will be frustrating as I hear it can take up to 12 months and it costs $525 CAD.
scribe123 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.