FST Draw scores

Old May 10th 2019, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Default FST Draw scores

Hi there, I realise there is no definitive answer and people are only guessing, but given the wealth of knowledge around the subject here I thought you might be best placed to give an opinion.

Do you think FST Draw scores are likely to continue to rise at a similar rate to previously or will they level out/slow down

I just got my IELTS back this morning (L9, R9, S9, W6.5) which I'm going to be resitting (and dragging the other half along to get a couple of extra points) - I honestly felt my writing was a higher band and speaking was lower, but that's life.

Current scores on the doors if I can sit and pass my trade exam would be 283, bumping my writing up to a 7 would get me up to 310ish (25 extra points for adaptability due to language) can get a few extra points for the girlfriends score pushing me up to low 320s

Key bit is whether I can go sit and pass my trade exam and get pw together before September (as typically trade draws seem to happen then).

My concern is if I can't and the FST score rises by 40 points this time round, come next draw after this one my age will have dropped my score and if the score continues to rise I could fall below the threshold.

Realise going and sitting an A level at night school etc could push things up further but adds extra cost and delays the process.
Old May 10th 2019, 2:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FST Draw scores

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
Realise going and sitting an A level at night school etc could push things up further but adds extra cost and delays the process.
A levels are considered to be part of secondary education, so no extra points anyway.

If you did get 310 then no need for any extra points IMO. I'd highly doubt that the points would go up by 40 personally, that's a huge jump. JMO though!
Old May 10th 2019, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
A levels are considered to be part of secondary education, so no extra points anyway.

If you did get 310 then no need for any extra points IMO. I'd highly doubt that the points would go up by 40 personally, that's a huge jump. JMO though!
Thanks, i currently don't have A levels ( so have not done an ECA as the majority of my qualifications are vocational not academic) and only have GCSE and AS level that are academic, so have scored myself as no on the secondary education bit. having an A level which gains me secondary education gets me an extra 28 points.

I can't personally see the figures rising much, but looking at draw histories it appears the scores have gone from 199 in may 2017 to 241 in november 2017, to 288 in may 2018, then 284 in september 2018. I'm obviously hoping the draw has reached its ceiling but not sure if thats optimism.

To top it off I've only got 35 months worth of skilled work experience in the last 5 years in that trade, and that is dropping as my current job whilst still based within the industry doesn't sit within the confines of the NOC (its another skilled NOC but not one under the FST scheme.)

Last edited by Stumpylegs; May 10th 2019 at 4:48 pm.
Old May 10th 2019, 4:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, i currently don't have A levels ( so have not done an ECA as the majority of my qualifications are vocational not academic) and only have GCSE and AS level that are academic, so have scored myself as no on the secondary education bit. having an A level which gains me secondary education gets me an extra 28 points.)
I would personally get an ECA - you may find your GCSE's are enough for secondary.

To top it off I've only got 35 months worth of skilled work experience in the last 5 years in that trade, and that is dropping as my current job whilst still based within the industry doesn't sit within the confines of the NOC (its another skilled NOC but not one under the FST scheme.)
It doesn't need to be - it's *any* skilled work experience that counts for points purposes, not just the one you're applying under.

HTH.
Old May 10th 2019, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

It doesn't need to be - it's *any* skilled work experience that counts for points purposes, not just the one you're applying under.

HTH.
For EE points thats correct, but i was under the impression(maybe wrong, hence why I'm on here and reading the canada immigration website etc.) that to be eligible to apply via FST it needs to be in a number of restricted NOC's - my current NOC doesn't whilst being classed as skilled as it sits in category a/b/) doesn't strictly fall under category 73 (although i fulfilled a lot of 7305 in my current role, my job title sits me under 2263) - meaning the time I am working doesn't count for experience for FST?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ed-trades.html
Old May 10th 2019, 6:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

For EE points thats correct, but i was under the impression(maybe wrong, hence why I'm on here and reading the canada immigration website etc.) that to be eligible to apply via FST it needs to be in a number of restricted NOC's - my current NOC doesn't whilst being classed as skilled as it sits in category a/b/) doesn't strictly fall under category 73 (although i fulfilled a lot of 7305 in my current role, my job title sits me under 2263) - meaning the time I am working doesn't count for experience for FST?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ed-trades.html
Ah, gotcha - sorry, I thought you were still talking about points.

But for FST eligibility it’s 2 years out of the previous 5 in one of the NOC’s. So is the 35 months experience you’ve got in one of those NOC’s? Or something else?

Old May 10th 2019, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ah, gotcha - sorry, I thought you were still talking about points.

But for FST eligibility it’s 2 years out of the previous 5 in one of the NOC’s. So is the 35 months experience you’ve got in one of those NOC’s? Or something else?

35 months experience is under NOC 7321 - vehicle technician/technician in charge, then since May 2017 I'm working for the same company but doing health and safety - this puts me in NOC code 2263 (although i also cover large parts of NOC 7305 as part of the role). As a result this time next year i will only have 23 months.

-Once my application is in under FST if my work experience drops below the 2 out of 5 years do i then fall out of the pool, or do i stay in the pool? theoretically i'd hope id have had an ITA by then, but obviously if i missed the next trade draw, i could potentially still be in the pool.

Reference ECA's whats the recommended company, with regards getting a decent result

So I've got from the top:
8 GCSES (all grade A-C)
a GNVQ in IT equivalent to 4 B's at GCSE (i believe it was full foundation level)
3 AS levels (with poor results, D/D/E)

BTEC national certificate level 3 in vehicle repair and technology
IMIAL level 3 diploma in light vehicle maintenance and repair
IMIAL level 3 NVQ in vehicle maintenance and repair
IMIAL level 4 diploma for automotive master technician.

As i see it the last 3 are definitely vocational, the GNVQ is vocational (its in the qualification name), the BTEC is in a vocational subject although was almost entirely an academic subject and not vocational study wise but it was studied whilst working.

So whilst i am aware of someone who i believe got their BTEC assessed as a 3 year college course(definitely a 2 year) although they did sit it full time, i was under the impression they count for basically nothing in Canadian education terms. (my first topic on this forum even questioned this at length, at which point i as advised FST was the route for me and not undertake an ECA).

Doing some more digging I've found this topic: https://britishexpats.com/forum/immi...-852578/page2/

which seems to suggest some people may be getting NVQ's assessed as college courses, would you suggest I pay the money, get everything assessed with WES and see what happens?

Old May 15th 2019, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

And right on cue we have an FST draw with not a 40 point jump but a 50 point jump!!!

Heres hoping my IELTS resit and my ECA come back with decent results, or it could be all but game over for my application. (and thats hoping there isn't another big jump).
Old May 16th 2019, 11:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

would you suggest I pay the money, get everything assessed with WES and see what happens?
I'm so sorry, I completely missed this. Yes, absolutely. It's going to cost you thousands to move, so it's a tiny drop in the ocean, but could make all the difference.

With reference to becoming ineligible for FST and whether you'd stay in the pool or not, it would depend - if you're eligible as a FSW then you'd stay in the pool (but would be scoring far too low to get an ITA under that program).

HTH.