French/Irish couple

Old Oct 21st 2008, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

FrancoisDublin will become famous soon enough
Default French/Irish couple

Hi there,

Hope you are all fine, immigrants , canadian residents or dreamers out there.

I would like some opinions about our profiles.

Me and my gf are EU citizens (we live in Dublin, Ireland) and we are seriously thinking about applying for Permanent Residency and moving to Canada,1 or 2 years down the road.

She has a PHD in European History and is drawing historical maps for a public publishing company, I am a customer service trainer/Team Leader for a online poker company, specialized in the North-American market (offices here in Dub and in Vancouver).

I am 30, she is 25. We plan to have 40-50K Euros saved when we move.

I will obtain a Diploma in Coaching from Dublin Business Scholl next February, and intend to develop into this career path and will pass as well my IELTS sometimes early next year.

I am fully fluent in French (native language) and English, and my gf speaks English, French (upper intermediate) and Russian (nearly fluent). We both already went through the process of relocating and living outisde our home countries for several years. Me in perticular, as I left France three years ago, and so far I have adapted very well to my new surroundings.

We think we could count on 40-50K Euros when we'll move (if we move )

Now I know you must have a lot of people writing the same thing, and I'm no exeption, but what do you think of our profiles, given the few infos I wrote above?

I already visited Canada before and we will visit again next year, certainly Ottawa hich seems like a good mix to us (big but not too big, not far away from Toronto or Montreal, "bilingual"?). In terms of Canadian Culture, does the fact that I follow the CFL and football in general (go Alouettes! is considered a plus?

We were looking and comparing, and it seems Ottawa might be the perfect fit for us. After , we are not decided, and nothing is certain until we see. That's why we'll visit the city next year (winter) and somewhere else (surely Montreal) in the fall.

So any feedback is welcome and I can provide more details

I thank you all for your time, god bless.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: French/Irish couple

Anyone?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FrancoisDublin
Anyone?
Hi Francois

remember a lot of people in Canada are only just getting out of bed In the meantime check out the wiki

Also PR applications (without a job) are taking way longer than 1 to 2 years but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will be along to help soon. Good luck with your research.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there and good morning!

Thanks for your reply.

For the 1-2 years timeline, I'm basing myself on the timeframe for applications through Paris, which seem to get sorted quicker than in London, as I can see from testimonies around the net.

What do you think about our profiles? Do you think we would fit what the immigration services are looking for?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there and good morning!

Thanks for your reply.

For the 1-2 years timeline, I'm basing myself on the timeframe for applications through Paris, which seem to get sorted quicker than in London, as I can see from testimonies around the net.

What do you think about our profiles? Do you think we would fit what the immigration services are looking for?
I'm the wrong person to ask I had the easy way into Canada I'm married to a Canadian but there are lots of really helpful people on BE who will be able to help.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Salut François,

Is there are chance you could get a transfer to your company's Vancouver office? Job offers are the fastest (sometimes only) way in. Or, depending on your age, you could go the BUNAC route?

Also, you could try going through the Québec Skilled Worked Program, as I believe they have their own immigration rules and if you're fluent in French you'll do well there (I've not looked into this by the way, but I've heard that people have got in much quicker via Québec in some circumstances). I considered this route but my husband can only speak a few words of French, unfortunately

Regarding your funds, I don't know how much houses cost in Ottawa (or wherever you decide to go), but it would be worth checking out some property prices on the internet to see what your money could buy. MLS was always a good site, but it's recently changed its format (is now called www.realtor.ca I think) and isn't so easy to navigate around, but have a go all the same (it may be just me ).

And definitely check out the Wikis, as Elaine suggested

Anita
Old Oct 21st 2008, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

P.S. Just reread your post and note that you want to retrain in a different sector, so forget what I said about getting a transfer via your company! Have you done any research on availability of jobs / wages, etc. in your new line of work in Ottawa?

P.P.S. Not sure if you can apply via Paris if you live in Ireland?? (I could be wrong, just seems if it was that simple then everyone would apply via an office with shorter processing times). Maybe ask Jim Humphries or Andrew Miller...?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Quebec maybe faster. Federal Skill category would depend on your skills and the list should be out shortly (we hope). If your skill is not on the list, Federal Skill category would be out of question for you.

For Quebec, try their website:

http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/index.asp

Ray
Old Oct 21st 2008, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hello,

And thanks a million for your answers.

As a French citizen, I have that chance that I can apply through the Canadian Embassy in Paris. And it seems the applications through Paris are processed (positive or negative answers) much quicker than in the UK. I'll know more about this in December as I have my first information meeting at the embassy.

For Quebec, I know that it could be easier, but I read somewhere that once you got your PR card for Quebec, you're stuck in there and cannot move on the Federal stage - could be wrong, and will need to do more research about this. Any idea?

Anyway, I thank you for your time. My company is great, but their office rules in BC and feedback I got from friends over there doesn't entice me to apply for a job there. As well, for many reasons, I am much more interested by the Eastern part of Canada, and Ottawa in particular, where there is a lot of IT companies and call centers (and for a customer service trainer/coach, I think it would be a good destination), plus lots of governement jobs opened to bilingual people.

Just my 2 cents of course, I'm still pretty much starting to gather infos and feedbacks.

Merci!
Old Oct 21st 2008, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Getting PR through Quebec would require you to stay in Quebec until you get your citizenship. At least thats my understanding. But people have also said that you can leave Quebec if you can show that you havent been able to get a job in your area or to go to school elsewhere. So I am not sure exactly what the rules are.

Also, there are 2 job fairs coming up, one in UK and the other France & Belgium. The France/Belgium one is being organised by CHC Paris. You may want to attend:

http://www.expo-canada.com/

http://www.destination-canada-forum-...il.php?lang=en

Ray
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Maedros is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

And thanks a million for your answers.

As a French citizen, I have that chance that I can apply through the Canadian Embassy in Paris. And it seems the applications through Paris are processed (positive or negative answers) much quicker than in the UK. I'll know more about this in December as I have my first information meeting at the embassy.

For Quebec, I know that it could be easier, but I read somewhere that once you got your PR card for Quebec, you're stuck in there and cannot move on the Federal stage - could be wrong, and will need to do more research about this. Any idea?

Anyway, I thank you for your time. My company is great, but their office rules in BC and feedback I got from friends over there doesn't entice me to apply for a job there. As well, for many reasons, I am much more interested by the Eastern part of Canada, and Ottawa in particular, where there is a lot of IT companies and call centers (and for a customer service trainer/coach, I think it would be a good destination), plus lots of governement jobs opened to bilingual people.

Just my 2 cents of course, I'm still pretty much starting to gather infos and feedbacks.

Merci!
Definitely, the Quebec immigration process must be faster for you Francois. The waiting time for applications to be processed in Paris is not fast at all for the Federal Skilled Workers program! The embassy handles all Continental Europe and North Africa visas, and I honnestly believe they dont have the resources for that, hence the long time they take to process such requests. I applied for it in 2003 and only got my PR visa in 2007. For the Quebec selection it may take around as little as year, I believe. The sooner you start this the better. Don't wait too long and wish you both the best. P.S. Unless you are a British (or Irish) citizen, the Canadian High Commission in London won't handle your applications, it will have to go through Paris.

Last edited by Maedros; Oct 22nd 2008 at 12:52 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raymasa
Getting PR through Quebec would require you to stay in Quebec until you get your citizenship. At least thats my understanding.
Not true! As long as you make a genuine effort to settle in Quebec, you can subsequently move if your circumstances change.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:53 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maedros
The embassy handles all Continental Europe and North Africa visas,
please... paris handles not all applications from continental europe. unless, of course, i got something really wrong in my geography classes... for me there is quite a bit more to continental europe than the few countries listed below:
from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ions/paris.asp
for immigrant applications from: Algeria, Andorra, Azores, Belgium, Canary Islands, France, Gibraltar, Libya, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Madeira, Monaco, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Tunisia

Originally Posted by Maedros
P.S. Unless you are a British (or Irish) citizen, the Canadian High Commission in London won't handle your applications, it will have to go through Paris.
if the op lives in a country in london's jurisdiction and "has been legally admitted for at least a year" (i assume under current law about free movement for eu-passport-holders in the european union that should not be a problem. jaj?) they can apply to london.
Originally Posted by CIC
You must submit your application to the visa office that serves your country of nationality or the country where you have been legally admitted for at least one year.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ular.asp#step3

Last edited by lof; Oct 22nd 2008 at 2:00 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Maedros is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, Lof... you are indeed right. I hadn't checked the damned site in years! Anyway, I do believe waiting times are much shorter if you're able to apply from London. I've read stories in this forum of British people who are able to get PR status in a year or less! Anyone who's had to deal with Paris finds it surreal.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Folks, thank you all for your answers.

And great news, it seems France and Quebec have reached an agreement on recognition of diplomas and experience for skilled workers, making it quicker and easier to be recognized in your field of work.

Thanks mr Charet, thanks mr Sarkozy

I had another question: i am working as a business coach, and I am planning to expand my current career path into Business Psychology/Business coaching with a diploma in coaching next year, then certainly a full BA in business psychology.

How are the prospects for this kind of jobs? Are business coaches/psychologist in demand? As well, are these kind of jobs in the list for workers shortages?

Many thanks again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.