French exams for CSQ

Old Dec 8th 2011, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Sarah77 will become famous soon enough
Default French exams for CSQ

Hi

I am trying to decide which French test to do. I have a degree in French, am a French teacher and am fairly fluent so I thought C1 would be the best option. It looks tough though! Am tempted to do the TEFaQ instead then at least I can either get a B2 or C1 depending on my mark. What are people's experiences with these?
Also, do you get more points for C1 than B2 or do you get full points for both?

Thanks for any help!
Old Dec 8th 2011, 10:40 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of
Default Re: French exams for CSQ

Originally Posted by Sarah77
I am trying to decide which French test to do. I have a degree in French, am a French teacher and am fairly fluent so I thought C1 would be the best option. It looks tough though! Am tempted to do the TEFaQ instead then at least I can either get a B2 or C1 depending on my mark. What are people's experiences with these?
Also, do you get more points for C1 than B2 or do you get full points for both?
I think with the immigration cut-offs B2 is intermediate (along with B1) and C1 is advanced and therefore attracts more points but I'm not 100% certain. There's quite a few documents out there comparing the various exams with immigration requirements so might be worth trying to find one of them.

As for the TEFaQ, I sat mine just two days ago. I don't really know much about the format of the Delf, just what I discovered from researching, but I think you get just one score, taken from all the different competencies, whereas TefaQ will grade you for each of the two competencies so if you do badly on one section in the TefaQ, the score for the other section is unaffected. TefaQ's only valid for one year, Delf is for life... If you do decide to go for the TefaQ, PM me and I can tell you about the exam format and what they make you do and in that way you can prepare for it without having to pay lots of $$$ for a practise exam like I had to do.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I did the DELF exam. In the delf, you are scored on each of the competences separately, but you have to pass them all to get the diploma.

I did the DELF B1 and my written exam question was "It is easier to learn when you are young, discuss."

The listening was the playing of an extremely long and quickly spoken cd and having to answer many multiple choice questions based on it. They only played it twice.

The oral was "should children be able to take mobile phones to school", present arguments for and against, then answer questions. You had a few minutes to prepare. After this they asked me questions on a random topic which they showed to me for 1 second then I just had to start talking.

B1 and B2 are intermediate and C1 is advanced and so attracts more points than B2.

Someone with an intermediate level of french has a working knowledge of french.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 6:07 am
Just Joined

Sarah77 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by catpea33
I think with the immigration cut-offs B2 is intermediate (along with B1) and C1 is advanced and therefore attracts more points but I'm not 100% certain. There's quite a few documents out there comparing the various exams with immigration requirements so might be worth trying to find one of them.

As for the TEFaQ, I sat mine just two days ago. I don't really know much about the format of the Delf, just what I discovered from researching, but I think you get just one score, taken from all the different competencies, whereas TefaQ will grade you for each of the two competencies so if you do badly on one section in the TefaQ, the score for the other section is unaffected. TefaQ's only valid for one year, Delf is for life... If you do decide to go for the TefaQ, PM me and I can tell you about the exam format and what they make you do and in that way you can prepare for it without having to pay lots of $$$ for a practise exam like I had to do.
Hi Catpea! Thanks for that, really useful stuff. Yes, if you could tell me more about the TEFaQ exam, that'd be great!! i've seen some sample stuff for DELF/DALF but not TEFaQ. I'm tempted to sign up for both - DALF C1 and the TEFaQ - that way, if I balls up the DALF still got the other to do! It's a tough decision, especially since i have to take time off school (I'm a teacher!) to take them!
Old Dec 9th 2011, 12:34 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sarah77
Hi Catpea! Thanks for that, really useful stuff. Yes, if you could tell me more about the TEFaQ exam, that'd be great!! i've seen some sample stuff for DELF/DALF but not TEFaQ. I'm tempted to sign up for both - DALF C1 and the TEFaQ - that way, if I balls up the DALF still got the other to do! It's a tough decision, especially since i have to take time off school (I'm a teacher!) to take them!
There's two sections, oral comprehension and oral expression. For the oral comprehension you listen to some recordings and then select an appropriate answer from the list. There's 60 questions and the recordings get progressively harder. Each recording type is different, e.g. there'll be 10 discussing news, then 10 discussing everyday things, then 10 where you're phonetically differentiating between two phrases. Each right answer scores 3 points, no answer is 0 and a wrong answer is -1. This part takes about 40-45 minutes because the computer you do it on automatically progresses through the questions so you have to be quick to click the answer you want.

The oral expression was the hardest bit for me. There's two parts to it. The first part is asking questions to get more information on a topic. The topic is blind, i.e. you pick one piece of overturned paper from a choice of two, but will usually be an advert of some sort with some, but not much, information (mine was on a holiday to Tunisia). You have 10 minutes to prepare and then the actual question asking takes 5 minutes. The second part is blind again and you pick your topic in the same way as before. You have 10 minutes to prepare. In this part you have to convince the examiner to do something with you based on the topic you picked. Mine was convincing them to send their kid to an activity day. They'll just throw up a whole bunch of reasons why they don't want to go and you're expected to listen and respond. You have to do the role play for 10 minutes.

Unofficial results take 1 week to be received, 4 weeks for the official certificate. Each section is marked separately (useful if you screw up a section or have a weak spot).

Cat