British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Freelancer British couple would like to move to Vancouver (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/freelancer-british-couple-would-like-move-vancouver-900850/)

Zed86 Jul 30th 2017 3:31 pm

Freelancer British couple would like to move to Vancouver

Hi all,

I have just registered to BE, there are tons of useful information, however some things are still not completely clear to me. Briefly my situation is: my wife and I (both British citizens, in our early 30s) are planning to move to Vancouver, we are both freelancers however I am open for a possible full time position too over there. My wife has started her online business and would like to continue even after we move.
For me the Express Entry, PR visa seems to be the best choice, that is the least restrictive.

-Just wondering what is your opinion which type of visa should we go for?

-It’s not completely clear to me that how couples should apply, what would be the best way to minimise the potential temporary separation?

-Also if I would get a job offer (which would be great to increase my points) how long the employer realistically willing to wait for me? I read that Visa application can take up to 6 months.

Thanks all the help in advance
Zoltan

MegaJamie Jul 30th 2017 10:42 pm

Re: Freelancer British couple would like to move to Vancouver

Whats your professions - have you looked it up on the NOC List to see if you qualify as a skilled profession under Express Entry, and have you used one of the calculators to gauge your scores on Express Entry?

Express Entry you apply as an individual but would list your wife, or vice versa if you would have more points with her as a the principle applicant.

Engineer_abroad Jul 31st 2017 3:12 pm

You need to complete the come to Canada wizard
Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay?

This will tell you whether you qualify for FSW class (it is one of the streams to PR encompassed by the Express entry system).

Assuming you qualify (you need 67 points - Selection factors: federal skilled workers) you would qualify to enter the express entry pools.

From this point you will be ranked against all other candidates by the CRS point system. Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria – Express Entry

Only those candidates with scores above a certain level will be invited to apply. Recent scores which received an ITA can be found here Express Entry invitation rounds. last draw was 440.

You will to make sure you have both enough FSW points to qualify and CRS points to be in with a chance of selection. You will also want to check both you and you spouse to see who scores more. In general, based on the scoring systems, Canada is looking for degree educated, young, skilled works with work experience in their chosen occupations.

Whether your occupation is skilled or not can be worked out from the NOC code system (Find your NOC) - Note you need to go off the duties and responsibilities and not the title.

Zed86 Aug 6th 2017 6:02 pm

Thank you both for the reply!
I'm a creative retoucher in the UK, on the NOC list I think the Graphic arts technician is the closest based on the duties and responsibilities of the role. Assuming the IELTS test goes pretty well, I would have at least 71 points for the FSW, 81 with a valid job offer.

Just one more question: I'm looking at the CRS criteria and in section C. - Skill transferability factors there is a Foreign work experience field. I moved originally from Hungary to the UK and worked here for over 9 years (and got the British citizenship), does that count as "foreign work experience" even if I'm applying as an UK citizen?

Engineer_abroad Aug 6th 2017 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Zed86 (Post 12310789)
Thank you both for the reply!
I'm a creative retoucher in the UK, on the NOC list I think the Graphic arts technician is the closest based on the duties and responsibilities of the role. Assuming the IELTS test goes pretty well, I would have at least 71 points for the FSW, 81 with a valid job offer.

Just one more question: I'm looking at the CRS criteria and in section C. - Skill transferability factors there is a Foreign work experience field. I moved originally from Hungary to the UK and worked here for over 9 years (and got the British citizenship), does that count as "foreign work experience" even if I'm applying as an UK citizen?

Foreign is this sense means anything outside of Canada. It does not matter where outside Canada.

It looks like you are ok on FSW points even without a job but what are you scoring for CRS points?

Zed86 Aug 12th 2017 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad (Post 12310825)
Foreign is this sense means anything outside of Canada. It does not matter where outside Canada.

It looks like you are ok on FSW points even without a job but what are you scoring for CRS points?

Thanks for clarifying the work experience bit.
If the IELTS test goes well, I would get 425 points and with a job offer 475.... so I should definitely look for a job from here. :D

Engineer_abroad Aug 12th 2017 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Zed86 (Post 12315105)
Thanks for clarifying the work experience bit.
If the IELTS test goes well, I would get 425 points and with a job offer 475.... so I should definitely look for a job from here. :D

425 is not a bad score and draws have gone this low in the past. I would get an application in and then try and find a job after. If you find a valid one whilst in the pool you can update your profile.