British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   FPN & ACRO (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/fpn-acro-943276/)

Mr5Br0wn3 Mar 23rd 2022 9:12 am

FPN & ACRO

Hi,

Le hubby & I are thinking of moving across the pond as we have loads of family in the GTA and it would be nice to raise our son closer to family, but we have a concern; when I was 38 weeks pregnant I was driving to my last antenatal appointment at the hospital and didn't realise I was doing 48mph in a 40 mph zone as the speed limit zones suddenly dropped from 60mph to 40mph so I thought I was within limit but the stupid sign was slightly obscured because of shrubbery on the side of the country road Now after I came home from the hospital with baby in tow I was met by the beautiful NIP letter from the local force; this was disposed of by way of a FPN, and 3 points (my 14 years clean driving record tainted because I was preoccupied with thoughts of all the last minute things Le Hubby & I would need to do b4 we meet baby :(). We wanted to know if this would show up on an ACRO report? I mean I could just pay the cost and order an ACRO but that seems like an expensive option to find out the answer as we've just only began discussing such a move and are nowhere ready to make the move just yet; so I wanted to hear from others who may have had a similar experiences, did a FPN & points show up on your ACRO & is that considered a conviction as we'd like to visit Canada first and would need to apply for an eTA?

Cheers.

christmasoompa Mar 23rd 2022 11:30 am

Re: FPN & ACRO

Originally Posted by Mr5Br0wn3 (Post 13103099)
Hi,

Le hubby & I are thinking of moving across the pond as we have loads of family in the GTA and it would be nice to raise our son closer to family, but we have a concern; when I was 38 weeks pregnant I was driving to my last antenatal appointment at the hospital and didn't realise I was doing 48mph in a 40 mph zone as the speed limit zones suddenly dropped from 60mph to 40mph so I thought I was within limit but the stupid sign was slightly obscured because of shrubbery on the side of the country road Now after I came home from the hospital with baby in tow I was met by the beautiful NIP letter from the local force; this was disposed of by way of a FPN, and 3 points (my 14 years clean driving record tainted because I was preoccupied with thoughts of all the last minute things Le Hubby & I would need to do b4 we meet baby :(). We wanted to know if this would show up on an ACRO report? I mean I could just pay the cost and order an ACRO but that seems like an expensive option to find out the answer as we've just only began discussing such a move and are nowhere ready to make the move just yet; so I wanted to hear from others who may have had a similar experiences, did a FPN & points show up on your ACRO & is that considered a conviction as we'd like to visit Canada first and would need to apply for an eTA?

Cheers.

Speeding is a civil offence, not criminal, so no it won't show up on your ACPO report.

HTH and welcome to BE.

Mr5Br0wn3 Mar 26th 2022 4:54 pm

Hi christmasoompa

Many thanks it did help that's one query laid to rest.

Thanks. I will definitely be making use of this platform going forward as Le Hubby & I discuss more about a possible move :thumbup:

christmasoompa Mar 26th 2022 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mr5Br0wn3 (Post 13103963)
Hi christmasoompa

Many thanks it did help that's one query laid to rest.

Thanks. I will definitely be making use of this platform going forward as Le Hubby & I discuss more about a possible move :thumbup:

No problem at all. If you haven't done it already, then the next step would be to figure out if you're eligible for a visa, ideally without needing a job offer to get one - as then you would just have to go wherever you can find a sponsoring employer, which may not be the GTA! But your speeding offence won't impact any visa application so you're all good on that front.

Best of luck to you.

Mr5Br0wn3 Mar 30th 2022 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13103965)
No problem at all. If you haven't done it already, then the next step would be to figure out if you're eligible for a visa, ideally without needing a job offer to get one - as then you would just have to go wherever you can find a sponsoring employer, which may not be the GTA! But your speeding offence won't impact any visa application so you're all good on that front.

Best of luck to you.

No. We haven't even begun that step yet. But I'm self employed would that qualify us and if so what would I need to show I wonder:blink:

christmasoompa Mar 30th 2022 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Mr5Br0wn3 (Post 13104911)
No. We haven't even begun that step yet. But I'm self employed would that qualify us and if so what would I need to show I wonder:blink:

Depends what you do. There is a Self Employed program, if you've been self employed for at least 2 years out of the previous 5, but it's only for certain occupations which are world class athletics, performers and 'cultural activities' (which is things like authors, artists, journalists etc). So if you're a self employed electrician or bookkeeper then it's a no go.

If that's not an option, you an use the tool on the CIC website to see what it says you may be eligible for - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nada-tool.html

HTH.

Revin Kevin Mar 31st 2022 9:07 am

Speeding is a criminal offence not a civil one and will be shown in your record unless dealt with by either a FPN or a speed awareness course.

christmasoompa Mar 31st 2022 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 13105018)
Speeding is a criminal offence not a civil one and will be shown in your record unless dealt with by either a FPN or a speed awareness course.

She says above it was dealt with by a FPN.

HTH.