British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   FORM IMM5406 BEWARE HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/form-imm5406-beware-hope-helps-someone-575611/)

chumley Nov 27th 2008 9:57 am

FORM IMM5406 BEWARE HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE!

FORM IMM 5406 E
ADDITIONAL FAMILY INFORMATION

Hope this might help someone else but I have noticed at least 3 applicants have had to re send this as they have completed it incorrectly including me :lol:

section A says applicant but it doesnt mean applicant as in principal applicant:eek:

now I thought it did and so have other BE'rs

so of course even on the form husband had to complete ( it has to be completed one each for all over 18's going to canada) he still put my name first as the "applicant" and his name next as the spouse of the applicant

this has held up our PNP hopfully not by long but still frustrating as everyday counts does it not:huh:

now it might be just me being a thicko but I would think its an easy mistake to make

so good luck all and hope this helps

abaddon Nov 27th 2008 10:32 am

Re: FORM IMM5406 BEWARE HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE!

Just to confirm that I have got this right. My wife is Canadian, she is sponsoring me. I, as the applicant for permanent residence, have filled in 5406 listing myself as the applicant. Is that correct?

Had my medical on Wednesday, we have filled all the forms in and I have just this minute finished printing everything out and then read this! EDIT - ignore me, I get what you are saying now. Anybody else over 18 who has to fill a copy of the form in must list themselves as the "applicant".

I have Collected all the stuff together. We will now double check everything over the weekend and then hopefully post on Monday.

Thanks,
abaddon

Ron Liberman Nov 27th 2008 6:48 pm

Yes - beware also as, depending on whether the "applicant" is married or is not, and has children or does not have children, there are up to 3 places on Form IMM5406 where a signature may be required.

irishsamx Dec 3rd 2008 10:44 am

thankyou for this post Chumley

I was just about to send the form off!!:eek:

You have saved me another delay!!:D

chumley Dec 3rd 2008 10:56 am

your welcome and huge luck to you and yours

Want2Move Dec 3rd 2008 11:27 am

I sent my forms to Alberta PNP a week ago and I am waiting for the file number. I am worried that I may have made a mistake while filling out some of the forms.

Sorry! I did not understand what OP was trying to say on how the form was supposed to be filled.

My copy:
Applicant - my name (husband-principal applicant)
Spouse - my wife's name
My parents
Our kids
My Siblings

Wife's copy:
Applicant - my name again (husband-principal applicant)
Spouse - my wife's name
Her parents
Our kids
Her Siblings

Did I make a mistake?

Paul Wildy Dec 3rd 2008 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Want2Move (Post 7034825)
I sent my forms to Alberta PNP a week ago and I am waiting for the file number. I am worried that I may have made a mistake while filling out some of the forms.

Sorry! I did not understand what OP was trying to say on how the form was supposed to be filled.

My copy:
Applicant - my name (husband-principle applicant)
Spouse - my wife's name
My parents
Our kids
My Siblings

Wife's copy:
Applicant - my name again (husband-principle applicant)
Spouse - my wife's name
Her parents
Our kids
Her Siblings

Did I make a mistake?

Yes, for this form on your wife's copy it should be her as the applicant and you as the spouse.

But I should add that if you are just submitting the provincial form and providing copies of the Federal forms you are going to submit there shouldnt be a problem - you have time to correct the federal forms before you submit them for real.

Want2Move Dec 3rd 2008 11:35 am

Originally Posted by NSpaul (Post 7034841)
Yes, for this form on your wife's copy it should be her as the applicant and you as the spouse.

Oh my gosh. What is going to happen now? Are they going to return my application package or just ask for this form with correct information?

Thanks.

Want2Move Dec 3rd 2008 11:39 am

Thanks Paul. When I wrote the reply, I did not see the second paragraph of your message.

But the OP was saying something like the PNP office made them wait or ask for a new form or something like that?

Paul Wildy Dec 3rd 2008 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Want2Move (Post 7034853)
Oh my gosh. What is going to happen now? Are they going to return my application package or just ask for this form with correct information?

Thanks.

I added another bit on edit - basically I'm assuming that you are submitting your PNP app to the Province in which case and the normal practice is that you submit copies of the federal forms that you will submit once you are nominated. Is that the case? In which case the IMM5406 form is not being submitted for real yet so you have time to amend it.

Let me know if I missunderstood and the form has actually been submitted to CIC.

Want2Move Dec 3rd 2008 11:54 am

Originally Posted by NSpaul (Post 7034871)
I added another bit on edit - basically I'm assuming that you are submitting your PNP app to the Province in which case and the normal practice is that you submit copies of the federal forms that you will submit once you are nominated. Is that the case? In which case the IMM5406 form is not being submitted for real yet so you have time to amend it.

Let me know if I missunderstood and the form has actually been submitted to CIC.

You are exactly right. I have NOT sent any forms to CIC. I have sent photocopies of the CIC forms to the AINP office, that's all.

I was just worried that the AINP office will return my application and I need to fix the mistake and send back the package again. Thanks for your time.

Paul Wildy Dec 3rd 2008 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Want2Move (Post 7034896)
...I was just worried that the AINP office will return my application and I need to fix the mistake and send back the package again. Thanks for your time.

I doubt it but just to be safe amend the form now and send them a new copy (with covering letter to explain) to replace the one in your file that you already submitted.

chumley Dec 3rd 2008 1:27 pm

all i was asked for was the one page of the form I got wrong but it did delay things by a week so worth sending the corrected from now

good luck

Want2Move Dec 3rd 2008 2:47 pm

Thank you so much NSpaul and chumley. I am going to send the corrected form soon.

I have one more question though. I know that the form also asks for names in NATIVE language, but there are NO separate boxes for that. Previously, we wrote our names in English first and right below that we wrote them in our Native Language. Is that how we are supposed to do? I do not want to make another mistake again.

Gales2Canada Dec 3rd 2008 2:49 pm

Chumley - thank you SO much for this post - my forms are ready to post in the morning as the last police check arrived today.

I had completed it incorrectly so have been able to correct it.

Just shows the benefit of a forum like this - and the importance of helping others benefit from our mistakes!!!

Many thanks

Sally