Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Foreign worker program and PR card

Foreign worker program and PR card

Old Oct 2nd 2013, 3:50 am
Thankful

dtkb1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Foreign worker program and PR card

Heres my question and i would be very grateful for some advice;

My boyfriend from the UK has been here 1 year working under a Foreign worker temporary visa he is working at hopefully getting his red seal but heres my question;

We have been living together for 6 months and he wants to stay in canada can he apply for a Permanent residence ? can he extend his visa ?

If he doesnt get his red seal is he still able to work in his trade?

I am Canadian and this is all new to me .. just unsure of the best steps we can take?
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreign worker program and PR card

Originally Posted by dtkb1977
Heres my question and i would be very grateful for some advice;

My boyfriend from the UK has been here 1 year working under a Foreign worker temporary visa he is working at hopefully getting his red seal but heres my question;

We have been living together for 6 months and he wants to stay in canada can he apply for a Permanent residence ? can he extend his visa ?

If he doesnt get his red seal is he still able to work in his trade?

I am Canadian and this is all new to me .. just unsure of the best steps we can take?
Get married and sponsor him
Is he eligible for the IEC programme ie under 30 and not been given 2 x IEC work permits before?
Is he currently on an IEC work permit? If so these CANNOT be extended and would need to apply on the 2014 programme if eligible.
Read this link for possible PR options
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 4:08 am
Thankful

dtkb1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Get married and sponsor him
Is he eligible for the IEC programme ie under 30 and not been given 2 x IEC work permits before?
Is he currently on an IEC work permit? If so these CANNOT be extended and would need to apply on the 2014 programme if eligible.
Read this link for possible PR options
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp
He is not under thirty and is on a work permit skilled worker

Haha not prepared for the marriage step quite yet.

I appreciate the link I've read it over and over and I don't seem to understand how soon a person can apply for a pr card
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 4:22 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dtkb1977
He is not under thirty and is on a work permit skilled worker

Haha not prepared for the marriage step quite yet.

I appreciate the link I've read it over and over and I don't seem to understand how soon a person can apply for a pr card
Welcome to BE

He can't just apply for a PR card, he has to apply for PR status through one of the more than 50 streams available.

He could apply via the skilled trades route (with job offer) if his trade is listed here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...plications.asp

He could apply under one of the Provincial Nomination programs: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

He could apply under the Canadian Experience Class, once he has worked for a year in Canada if his occupation is classed as A/B/O: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

As to the redseal question, it would depend on the Province and what his occupation is.