Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Foreign Software Engineer Apply for Work Permit (I have an Offer)

Foreign Software Engineer Apply for Work Permit (I have an Offer)

Old Aug 7th 2015, 11:21 am
Just Joined

BlueSky123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Foreign Software Engineer Apply for Work Permit (I have an Offer)

I'm an international student studied in the US and got a master degree in computer science. I received an offer of software engineer in Vancouver. Now I need a work permit to work there.

The employer is a very large internet company. The title of the job is Software Development Engineer in Test. The pay is very well, and the company has its own lawyers to handle the immigration issues and provide assistance to me to apply for a work permit. But I am just a new college grad, do not have work experience.

I did some research myself. Seems that I need to pass the LMIA, and then apply for a work permit, and it could takes months. But still I do not know much about the work permit/visa process in Canada.

How likely can I get a work permit/visa for the position in Vancouver successfully? Normally how long it takes to get a work permit for such a position? Is there any risk that the work permit/visa will not get approved?

Can someone give any comments on my case? How easy or hard it is? Any risk? Thank you very much!
Old Aug 7th 2015, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreign Software Engineer Apply for Work Permit (I have an Offer)

The employer applies for an LMIA which gets the Work Permit. Not you.

Impossible to tell if you will be successful. That's what the LMIA is for.

The employer has to prove that they cannot fill the position with a Canadian. That requires proper recruitment advertising.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

I see. That makes sense.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by withabix
The employer applies for an LMIA which gets the Work Permit. Not you.

Impossible to tell if you will be successful. That's what the LMIA is for.

The employer has to prove that they cannot fill the position with a Canadian. That requires proper recruitment advertising.
I think the employer and their lawyers would work on the LMIA part. Hope it will be successful.

I believe after LMIA the employer would submit the LMIA with other supporting documents to the government. Normally how long it takes to have a result of the work permit application. How can I know the possibility the work permit application is approved? Where can I find any previous statistics on this or anything?
Old Aug 7th 2015, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlueSky123
I think the employer and their lawyers would work on the LMIA part. Hope it will be successful.

I believe after LMIA the employer would submit the LMIA with other supporting documents to the government. Normally how long it takes to have a result of the work permit application. How can I know the possibility the work permit application is approved? Where can I find any previous statistics on this or anything?
The employer applies for an LMIA - this process can take upwards of 3 months. Once the positive LMIA is received, you can go to Canada and get your work permit at the border (assuming you hold the passport of a visa exempt country of which the UK is one).

The application for an LMIA has to be done by your employer, it cannot be done by you. Also the fee for the LMIA ($1000) has to be paid by the employer.

Hire temporary workers
Work in Canada temporarily
Old Aug 8th 2015, 6:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bc2015
The employer applies for an LMIA - this process can take upwards of 3 months. Once the positive LMIA is received, you can go to Canada and get your work permit at the border (assuming you hold the passport of a visa exempt country of which the UK is one).

The application for an LMIA has to be done by your employer, it cannot be done by you. Also the fee for the LMIA ($1000) has to be paid by the employer.

Hire temporary workers
Work in Canada temporarily
It is the employer who makes the LMIA application and pay the fee. I get it. Thank you!

I am not sure if my passport is from a visa exempt country. Where can I get the country list of visa exempt country?

Also, is it possible that the LMIA is approved but still I cannot get work permit? How long is the whole process, around 4 - 5 months?
Old Aug 8th 2015, 9:18 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Also, is it possible that the LMIA is approved but still I cannot get work permit? How long is the whole process, around 4 - 5 months?
If the LMIA is approved , unless you have a communicable disease or are criminally inadmissible to Canada, there should be no problems with the WP.

The LMIA is not a given though, the employer in applying for a LMIA must try and recruit Canadians. They must also demonstrate how they did this, what applications they received, who they interviewed and if they did not hire them, why not. If they find a suitable Canadian, they must hire them in preference to a foreign worker.

If the employer is unable to find suitable Canadians and has jumped through the hoops, the LMIA comes though and you can secure a WP on the basis of that.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It is the employer who makes the LMIA application and pay the fee. I get it. Thank you!

I am not sure if my passport is from a visa exempt country. Where can I get the country list of visa exempt country?

List of countries that require visas to enter Canada

Entry requirements by country