Wikiposts

Foreign marriage

Old Oct 12th 2014, 1:18 am
Just Joined

carpenterlondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Foreign marriage

I would like to know, when I get engaged to a Canadian how does that work for me being able to move to Canada. She is Canadian and I’m British!
Old Oct 12th 2014, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreign marriage

Originally Posted by carpenterlondon
I would like to know, when I get engaged to a Canadian how does that work for me being able to move to Canada. She is Canadian and I’m British!
She can sponsor you (immediately when you're married or after 12 months living together)...not sure of the details...I think she has to get approved as a sponsor first and then you do your bit... Somebody is sure to give you more info before long
Old Oct 12th 2014, 1:56 am
Just Joined

thank you DandNHill, it wont be for another wee while, but she wont be able to sponsor me! I have my own business that will support us though, thanks again
Old Oct 12th 2014, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

thank you DandNHill, it wont be for another wee while, but she wont be able to sponsor me! I have my own business that will support us though, thanks again
I don't understand why she couldn't sponsor you? My son was eligible to sponsor his girlfriend despite being on a low income as his status and "standing" were what it would have been based on and not his income...
Old Oct 12th 2014, 2:42 am
Just Joined

ah right ok just thought because she doesn't work for the time being!
Old Oct 12th 2014, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

ah right ok just thought because she doesn't work for the time being!
My understanding is that unlike in the UK it isn't based on the sponsors income. Girlfriend moved back to the UK in the end so he never went through with it.

Is this any help? Apply to sponsor your spouse, partner or children
Old Oct 14th 2014, 12:59 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!

There is no minimum income for sponsoring your spouse. The sponsor just needs to not be bankrupt, but she can sponsor you otherwise. So not having any income is not a problem.

IF you have been living together for 12 months, unbroken, and can prove it, then she can sponsor you now as her common-law partner. If you aren't living together, or won't have 12 months of living together unbroken before you get married, then once you're married you can apply for sponsorship right away.

Family class sponsorship right now takes anywhere from 5-9 months - have a look at the spreadsheet linked in my signature for an idea of processing times.

Have a read of the Wiki page for spousal sponsorship - Spousal Sponsorship-Canada : British Expat Wiki

Post back here if and when you have more questions!

Good luck!
Old Oct 14th 2014, 7:17 am
Just Joined

thank you very much with all the information, I do have one question! does it matter if she receives provincial disability support?

thanks again
Old Oct 14th 2014, 7:21 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

thank you very much with all the information, I do have one question! does it matter if she receives provincial disability support?

thanks again
No. The rule is that she can't be in receipt of government assistance, with EI and Disability as the exception. Basically, she can't be on welfare.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 7:26 am
Just Joined

thank you once again :-/
Old Oct 15th 2014, 7:12 am
Just Joined

hello, I have another question, I believe ODSP is different from welfare, is that right? then she would be able to sponsor me!?
Old Oct 15th 2014, 7:23 am
Concierge

Disability <> Welfare.

She can be in receipt of disability or EI. She cannot be in receipt of welfare or other forms of social assistance.