Foot-in-the-door to Nova Scotia

Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Caimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant future
Default Foot-in-the-door to Nova Scotia

Hi Everyone

I am hoping someone can point us in the right direction, or at least get us thinking about something we have totally missed!

We applied for PR in August last year & received our AOR Sept 07. However, we do not want to take our chances with the simplified process (as to how long it will really take) and that immigration law changes are likely.

My OH, a finishing/trim carpenter was offered a job in BC via the PNP route through Tri-Continental Global - (asking around $5k for the privilege). However, as lovely as it looks, we feel it will be too expensive for us, particularly as I understand my counselling diploma is not recognised in Canada. I am of the impression I will have to start-over in Canada if I want to continue, but not sure if we can afford to.

However, we really like the look of NS and are hoping to come over for a recce trip in Sept. We have made contact with a few companies and will keep building our contacts in the interim. Our understanding is that there is most definitely work out there but we are unsure of what to do next. We know from other members, that they have secured employment on a TWP, even though their occupation is not on the OUP list and wondered if anyone else has a similar experience?

I have been looking at obtaining a study permit in NS (as it looks like if I do decide to continue, I am going to have to start again) as a possibility. Again, has anyone had any experience?

I am completely confused, and everytime I read someone else's post & situation, it just adds to it!

Any advice, thoughts or suggestions, much appreciated.

Jo-Anne

Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:33 am
plw
9 inch member

plw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud of
Default Re: Foot-in-the-door to Nova Scotia

I believe the quickest route is........

Find an employer who has or will get a LMO......

Then apply for TWP.........

Then one of you, whoever hasn't got th job, can get OWP.

Start work......

Apply for PR........

Simple.......

Old Jul 18th 2008, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Caimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant future

Am I over-complicating things?

How feasible is it to get an LMO for a job that isn't under pressure and that can be filled by a Canadian resident/citizen? I understand the advertising rule etc. but how 'real' are they?

I feel like a rabbit caught in headlights!

(Thanks for your quick response by the way)

Jo-Anne

Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:06 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking at NS PNP, there is a SW route available within their PNP system.

If you are offered employment you would work in conjunction with the employer to apply under the NS PNP. There is a form within the application package for the employer to complete about the job role etc.

Once you are nominated by the province you can then submit a PR application to London.

At this stage you would be able to request a WP. You would need to request a letter from NS PNP to support your application for a WP which I don't believe is too much of an issue. By having this support letter your employer does not have to go through the LMO requirements. (There are conditions within the SW application that the job has to meet, ie salary and type of job).

You could then get the WP and at the same time London would be processing your PR application.

So depending on your timescales you could either get a TWP or wait here in the UK for your PR to be gained which I believe takes up to a year and then move over and land as PR's

Hope this helps.

I have attached a copy of the SW application guide which gives all the info.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
NSNP SW Guide.pdf (117.1 KB, 439 views)
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:26 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Also,

Here is a link to NS Immigration website that has lots of info re their PNP Programme

http://novascotiaimmigration.com/en-page1040.aspx
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Thanks very much for this, much appreciated.

Some of the members on this site know more about the immigration maze than the consultants! I know the company we used for our PR application have not been very forthcoming.

I will have a good read as soon as I can.

Jo-Anne
Old Jul 19th 2008, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

Originally Posted by Caimas
Thanks very much for this, much appreciated.

Some of the members on this site know more about the immigration maze than the consultants! I know the company we used for our PR application have not been very forthcoming.

I will have a good read as soon as I can.

Jo-Anne
That's why we never used consultants and we didn't know about BE either, but then that's why many on here are able to then share their experiences by having done it alone.