Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

flying in 3 weeks but daughters PR card missing

Wikiposts

flying in 3 weeks but daughters PR card missing

Old May 12th 2011, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

oceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really nice
Default flying in 3 weeks but daughters PR card missing

Hello All,

We fly (permanently!) to Vancouver in 3 weeks time but only 3 out of 4 of our PR cards are with our friends who will courier them to London.
Our daughter's (she is just 3 yrs old) is missing. I think her photo was probably rejected as she wriggled a lot although there's been no letter yet. But my worry is will she be let back into Canada?!? What can we do?!!?
Do I simply bring along her copy of the COPR with her passport or sign a Solemn Declaration form?

Any help would be v v appreciated!!
Old May 12th 2011, 11:05 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: flying in 3 weeks but daughters PR card missing

Have a look at the Port Of Entry manual, section 11.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf04-eng.pdf

I think a PR travel document is one option but takes time.
Old May 12th 2011, 9:25 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Assuming you are on a one way ticket your problem will be with the airline assuming your daughter has no status in Canada, or they may not care. If you want to risk it then Camadian immigration will be happy with just the COPR or can even just look her up on the computer if you have no documents proving she is PR.

If you don't want to risk it with the airline, either buy a return ticket or get a travel document from the london high commission.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...es-voyage.aspx
Old May 12th 2011, 11:50 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Having had big problems in Portugal last week, I would definitely get a travel document for her. Its the airline that cause all the problems, it took them 1.5 hours last Friday to deiced that they would let us travel. Its so stressful, its the last thing you need, your emotions will be all over the place.

Good luck.
Old May 13th 2011, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

As has been said, it is the airline who may cause a problem, especially if it is a low cost airline.

If you are near London, travel documents do not need to take a long time. When I got mine i went down in person. I handed in my paperwork and then waited to be called back to the counter. It took a couple of hours of waiting. You could post it, but this would just add to the stress as you don't know when it will be returned.

Most do not bother with travel documents. If you do not, you might end up waiting the same couple of hours while they decide if they will let you fly. In the end they probably will. If you go this route make sure you arrive very early.

So, you have three options, a return ticket, travel documents or maybe some drama at the airport with a wiggling 3 year old.

The choice is yours.
Old May 13th 2011, 2:05 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to add. We booked with Air Canada for our trip to Portugal. The Newark to Lisbon route was with their star alliance partner Continental, although I spent 40 minutes on the phone with Air Canada before we went, they assured me it wouldnt be a problem, but it was.

Passort control at Newark and Toronto were fine about us not having PR cards. The airlines worry they will get fined for carrying you. They told us it was a 25,000 euro fine each.
Old May 13th 2011, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

oceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really nice

Hi Everyone - so much good advice here!

We are in London so I will go down in person to CIC & wait - going to check what I need to take & HOPEFULLY get the Travel doc that day...

Originally Posted by britsnake
As has been said, it is the airline who may cause a problem, especially if it is a low cost airline.

If you are near London, travel documents do not need to take a long time. When I got mine i went down in person. I handed in my paperwork and then waited to be called back to the counter. It took a couple of hours of waiting. You could post it, but this would just add to the stress as you don't know when it will be returned.

Most do not bother with travel documents. If you do not, you might end up waiting the same couple of hours while they decide if they will let you fly. In the end they probably will. If you go this route make sure you arrive very early.

So, you have three options, a return ticket, travel documents or maybe some drama at the airport with a wiggling 3 year old.

The choice is yours.
Old May 13th 2011, 4:08 am
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

Will an airline really stop a 3 year old from flying with her parents when the parents have their PR cards especially if they are from a visa waiver country?
Old May 13th 2011, 10:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexisatk
Will an airline really stop a 3 year old from flying with her parents when the parents have their PR cards especially if they are from a visa waiver country?
It should not - but it might. All depends on the airline, Air Canada usually understands the rules better than most others.