Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Flagpoling - To walk or not to walk.....

Flagpoling - To walk or not to walk.....

Old Aug 30th 2012, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Hermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flagpoling - To walk or not to walk.....

Originally Posted by BTJ
One other option is to look at landing at a CIC office within Canada. You can phone CIC on 1-888-242‑2100 and find out if there is an option to do that in Edmonton.
Yeah, already did that and there is an 8-week wait for an appointment but hubby needs to travel to US in the next 2 weeks for work....:-( Looks like we're all trekking down to the border in his gas guzzler this weekend then!
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

So if flagpoling, do you still need an ESTA?
Old Aug 30th 2012, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
So if flagpoling, do you still need an ESTA?
No not if driving the usual I94 waiver is required if wishing to enter the US.
ESTA is for Air or Sea.
Most people who get the Administrative Refusal from US Customs never encounter further entry problems.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Hermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond reputeHermione has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so change of plan now - we're not going to flagpole, but instead I'm going to take a day trip to Seattle to land, then hubby can go to his conference in the US the week after and land when he returns. Questions though - if I'm grilled at US immigration about the purpose of my day visit, will they baulk at me doing a round trip in a single day and what reason should I give for the purpose of my visit?
Old Aug 30th 2012, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Im assuming you are flying to Seattle as driving from Edmonton is going to take almost all day. As long as you have a return ticket and ESTA or I94 waiver then you will be ok. Purpose of your trip is shopping and to flagpole.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Im assuming you are flying to Seattle as driving from Edmonton is going to take almost all day. As long as you have a return ticket and ESTA or I94 waiver then you will be ok. Purpose of your trip is shopping and to flagpole.
Yep - that's correct. I already have the ESTA from my trip to Vegas in April. So they're ok with you saying you're flagpoling when flying?
Old Aug 31st 2012, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Just one comment on the CIC office situation - when we were looking to flagpole 8 months ago, I knew there was a CIC office in Oshawa which is very close to us. I called in there to see if it was possible to do the necessary there and if so, make an appointment (at that time, they were generally quoting 6-8 weeks wait on the website to make such an appointment).
I was told it wasn't necessary, just to return at a sensible time with all the paperwork ie not just before closing time. This we did - we had a 10 minute wait and then were processed in about 15 minutes.

When I look at the CIC website now, it doesn't list the Oshawa office at all. I don't know now how I knew there was an office there - and perhaps it is no longer open? But if it is still open, perhaps there are other similar CIC offices around which aren't advertised.

Can anyone perhaps confirm that the list on the CIC website lists the only possible options?
Old Aug 31st 2012, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
Just one comment on the CIC office situation - when we were looking to flagpole 8 months ago, I knew there was a CIC office in Oshawa which is very close to us. I called in there to see if it was possible to do the necessary there and if so, make an appointment (at that time, they were generally quoting 6-8 weeks wait on the website to make such an appointment).
I was told it wasn't necessary, just to return at a sensible time with all the paperwork ie not just before closing time. This we did - we had a 10 minute wait and then were processed in about 15 minutes.

When I look at the CIC website now, it doesn't list the Oshawa office at all. I don't know now how I knew there was an office there - and perhaps it is no longer open? But if it is still open, perhaps there are other similar CIC offices around which aren't advertised.

Can anyone perhaps confirm that the list on the CIC website lists the only possible options?
A whole bunch of offices where you could do this closed about 3 months ago. Oshawa was one of these, hence no longer on the website..
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously it was too easy to do :-) What a shame. Anyway thanks for the info
Old Aug 31st 2012, 4:00 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Over many years in immigration I have never heard of anyone having any trouble with the flagpole procedure nor have I heard of anyone somehow getting onto an American "watch" list because of it. Sometimes one has to wait a few minutes or more if the US border service office is busy.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hermione
Yep - that's correct. I already have the ESTA from my trip to Vegas in April. So they're ok with you saying you're flagpoling when flying?
Yes. They might look at you strangely but as long as you have a return ticket there should be no problems.