Wikiposts

Flagpoling in St. Stephen NB

Old Aug 18th 2009, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice
Default Flagpoling in St. Stephen NB

While on vacation we were discussing methods of entering Canada to activate my partner's PR (Spousal Sponsorship) when he receives it. We'd talked in the past of either him going back to Belfast for a week to see his parents and then entering, or of the two of us going to Ontario to see my family for a few days and flagpoling in Niagara Falls or Sarnia. However, we were wondering just what 'services' need to be at the border you cross at to be able to do this. Has anyone done it in NB? (a whole lot closer for us and cheaper than flights to UK/Ontario). If so, what did you tell them you were entering the US to do? What IS there to do near Calais ME anyway?

Insight/info would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

readytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nice
Default Re: Flagpoling in St. Stephen NB

Originally Posted by Kynn
While on vacation we were discussing methods of entering Canada to activate my partner's PR (Spousal Sponsorship) when he receives it. We'd talked in the past of either him going back to Belfast for a week to see his parents and then entering, or of the two of us going to Ontario to see my family for a few days and flagpoling in Niagara Falls or Sarnia. However, we were wondering just what 'services' need to be at the border you cross at to be able to do this. Has anyone done it in NB? (a whole lot closer for us and cheaper than flights to UK/Ontario). If so, what did you tell them you were entering the US to do? What IS there to do near Calais ME anyway?

Insight/info would be greatly appreciated!
I can't help you with what services need to be att he boarder crossing but we did cross the ME/NB boarder in March and I can tell you there is nothing on the ME side. Bangor isn't too far away however and thats a nice little town. On the NB side St Andrews is very close and thats a great place
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:41 am
BE gremlin

T-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of light

What on earth is flagpoling?
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:41 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by T-Pot
What on earth is flagpoling?
Activating PR / Landing is what I take it to mean. I presume it comes from the terminology where you walk round the flag pole to land as they consider this leaving and entering Canada.

As for the services required, well, an immigration official should be enough to do it. You could phone the CIC and ask them what is required. I would have thought that any major border crossing would have IO's who would be able to deal with landing you.

Thinking about it, ask CIC if you can land at a local CIC office. When I got my letter stating I had an examination interview (turns out this meant for me, and the others with the same letter, that I was to be landed) I went to the local CIC office as stated in the letter and was landed there. This could be due to it being an inland application, as my understanding is that with outland applications you'd get the actual PR visa thing, which you need to present to actually land, thus you'd need an IO at the border/office to do this.

Last edited by sharkus; Aug 18th 2009 at 4:45 am.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 2:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kynn
Shopping, sightseeing, etc, but do have something more specific planned if you want to be admitted.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Trip_a...lagpole-Canada

If you Google the words "Maine" and "tourism" you might get some ideas.