Wikiposts

Flagpoling on foot at Peace Arch

Old Jun 26th 2008, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

drifter has a spectacular aura aboutdrifter has a spectacular aura aboutdrifter has a spectacular aura about
Default Flagpoling on foot at Peace Arch

I have to go flagpole... what a shame

Anyway, does anyone have experience of going by public transport from central Vancouver to the border? Is it doable (I don't mind walking a ways)? Any tips?

Ta!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 10:36 pm

canconfused is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flagpoling on foot at Peace Arch

Hi, I don't know about the peace arch crossing, but the one right next to it (just a short distance over on 176th st) there is a charter bus company that goes through the crossing (and then also stops at the shop on the corner of 8th ave and 176st). I don't know if they pick up people from the actual border, but i've taken this bus and they do stop and let everyone off to go inside the customs building when coming into canada (the service runs from vancouver to seattle and back). if they did not allow you to get on the next bus returning through the border at the actual border, worst case scenario would be walking from 0 ave (the border) to 8th ave (8 blocks short) and catching the next bus there. i do not believe this would be a convenient day though as you would spend a lot of time waiting for the next coach to come and get you!

http://www.quickcoach.com/

on their website the stop nearest the border is called "south surrey"
Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:09 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drifter
I have to go flagpole... what a shame

Anyway, does anyone have experience of going by public transport from central Vancouver to the border? Is it doable (I don't mind walking a ways)? Any tips?

Ta!
Buses are not allowed to go to the Peace Arch crossing. You can get the 351 bus from central Vancouver to White Rock then get a taxi to Peace Arch park where you can walk over the border. It might be a good idea to take a cell phone so you can call the taxi back to pick you up afterwards!
Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

drifter has a spectacular aura aboutdrifter has a spectacular aura aboutdrifter has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Buses are not allowed to go to the Peace Arch crossing. You can get the 351 bus from central Vancouver to White Rock then get a taxi to Peace Arch park where you can walk over the border. It might be a good idea to take a cell phone so you can call the taxi back to pick you up afterwards!
I'll try the 351; sounds easier than the coaches.

Thanks!
Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
Buy the $9.00 day ticket which is cheaper and it covers all zones.
I just spoken to White Rock Tourists Info. and the staff there said
people do walk to the Peach Arch Border from White Rock along HWY99.
However you have to becareful of the traffics along the HWY.
Sounds like JonboyE's suggestion about taking the taxi is a good option.

Yoong
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:02 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
No problem. I think you just need to walk up to the US office and tell them what you are doing. They issue you with a notice of temporary refusal of admission to the US (I'm not sure of the correct name) and you walk back to the Canadian immigration and present this. It counts as a "landing".

Peace Arch park is a strange place. It is, of course, very pretty and well maintained. It is strange because there are border controls for all vehicles, but public access from both the US and Canadian sides. There is nothing visible to stop you walking in from the Canadian side, straight through the park, and out into the US without having to meet any Canadian or US immigration or customs people.

In the summer it can get very busy at weekends as it is one of the few places that people from the US and Canada, who for some reason cannot cross the border, can meet up.

The car park on the Canadian side is behind the duty free shop. If the taxi driver is unsure tell him to head down HWY 99 and turn right onto Beach Avenue opposite to the Canadian Border post then left into the park.

Last edited by JonboyE; Jun 27th 2008 at 8:06 am.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Yoong
Buy the $9.00 day ticket which is cheaper and it covers all zones.
I just spoken to White Rock Tourists Info. and the staff there said
people do walk to the Peach Arch Border from White Rock along HWY99.
However you have to becareful of the traffics along the HWY.
Sounds like JonboyE's suggestion about taking the taxi is a good option.

Yoong
Thanks, Yoong.

The way things are going I might just stop being cheap and rent a car...
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Yoong.

The way things are going I might just stop being cheap and rent a car...
You're welcome Drifter,I am using the transit alot and drive less.
Good luck on the Flagpole trip

Yoong
Old Apr 12th 2009, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Yoong
You're welcome Drifter,I am using the transit alot and drive less.
Good luck on the Flagpole trip
Yoong
Just had a PM asking me how this went. It was last July, so my memory is a little hazy. But basically it was your classic 'bark worse than the bite' border experience.

First of all, I gave up on the idea of doing it by public transport and took a hire car instead. At the time, the border was a mess of construction and the immigration consultant said I'd be lucky to survive on foot. Correct advice as it turned out.

It was a mess of construction then, but it's improved the last few times I went over.

The American side of things was fine. I did exactly as recommended by my consultant and here, telling the officer in the booth that I was flagpoling. I was waved over to the parking area, taken in and interviewed for a few minutes at the desk and then taken back out to my vehicle before being waved round to the approach to the Canadian border.

Incidentally, don't forget to say you are falgpoling, start waffling or get nervous - changing your story half way through looks highly suspicious! Take your consultant's business card with you, and a letter from them stating your intent as well. Have all of your papers in an envelope or folder and take them in to the US office with you. The Peace Arch officers are pretty helpful and polite considering what they have to go through. And yes, they have every right to ask all the questions they want to.

At the Canadian side you drive up as normal. I told the officer on the booth I wanted to change the conditions of my work permit, and was asked to park up and go inside with all of my papers. All of them. Then you follow the instructions they give you, and answer questions directly. Give exactly as much information as they ask for, no more... Make sure the TWP they give you has the 2 years or 3 years or whatever you are expecting. You can pay by cash, credit / debit card or cheque. Be prepared to wait a couple of hours, but don't worry. They just have to fill in forms. Be prepared to stand up, because there aren't enough seats.

Some thoughts.
  1. Pee before you get to the border. Nothing like standing there nervous and with a full bladder.
  2. Don't make eye contact with the Mexican who's 'borrowed' a truck in Southern California and just been stopped.
  3. Don't get involved with the family with screaming kids. You'll frazzle your own nerves enough anyway.
  4. Don't wear an ipod. Take a magazine, though, something that you don't mind being seen with. A Macleans might look better than Playboy.
  5. Completely empty your car before crossing. Completely. And then check again. You really don't want to find that someone left something ah, unexpected in it on the last road trip or ski weekend.
  6. Be honest and brush up on what you wrote in your forms. Don't be flippant, don't talk jargon even if you are an immigration lawyer and don't argue.
  7. If you get stressed, ask to have a few minutes outside to relax, get some fresh air and call your consultant, mum, SO or whoever. Ask for a private interview room if you don't like doing this in public. If you might get into a problematic situation, you should have had a consultant anyway and they should have prepped you on how to deal with any questions.
  8. There's nothing to worry about if the officials start probing - it's their job. They want to check that all the things that were written down hold up under scrutiny.
  9. Go during the week, and avoid 7:30-10 or 3-7. Tell your consultant when you are going over, and check they aren't going on holiday at the time... Tell your boss as well, just in case the border feels the need to call them.
  10. Look smart. Not suit and tie, but look professional and confident. If you look dubious, you'll be treated that way.

Hope that helps?
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

cheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant future

Cheers drifter.

I do not have the option of hiring a car and its public transport only for me, alas.

I did read a thread on another forum in which some dude managed to do the trip from downtown to the Peace Arch using skytrain, the 321 bus and nerves of steel for the final kms on foot.

Coming from someone who - touch wood - has not yet been mown down here in QC by its mental motorists, is the last stretch til the park too hazardous on foot?

Alternatively, is it feasible and easy to get a taxi on a weekday from White Rock Centre to take me to the Peace Arch?

thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 12:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Some discussion at:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Trip_a...lagpole-Canada

Why not just take a day trip by bus or train to Seattle?
Old Apr 13th 2009, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

cheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant futurecheepnis has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ

Why not just take a day trip by bus or train to Seattle?
I'd love to but when i read the small print on the quickcoach FAQ it addresses only US or canadian passport holders - something my wife and i are not.

also i read this thread on BE. It sounds like a TWP application would seriously delay the bus schedule... So i guess i will need to know if i can embark on another bus. Of course, a phone call to the bus company can clarify things. if i learn anything useful, will share it.

Last edited by cheepnis; Apr 13th 2009 at 1:36 pm.
Old May 6th 2009, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

so, i flagpoled on foot the other day...

my main concern was walking on the side of the freeway, but it was nothing to worry about.

coming from downtown to surrey central skytrain, i then got a 321 bus to white rock centre. from there a 375 to that route's terminus.

from there its a simple 10-15 minute walk straight down the road to the border. there is a cycle route and adequate space on the side of the road. what's more, at the time of day i went (weekday mid morning) traffic was sparse.

after entering the US office's pedestrian entrance, got the refusal of admission to the US. its just a sheet of paper, the agent logged nothing - he eyeballed the passport and scribbled the details on the refusal form.

on the can side, it took no more than 15 mins for the paperwork...

as straightforward as it gets
Old May 6th 2009, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cheepnis
so, i flagpoled on foot the other day...

my main concern was walking on the side of the freeway, but it was nothing to worry about.

coming from downtown to surrey central skytrain, i then got a 321 bus to white rock centre. from there a 375 to that route's terminus.

from there its a simple 10-15 minute walk straight down the road to the border. there is a cycle route and adequate space on the side of the road. what's more, at the time of day i went (weekday mid morning) traffic was sparse.

after entering the US office's pedestrian entrance, got the refusal of admission to the US. its just a sheet of paper, the agent logged nothing - he eyeballed the passport and scribbled the details on the refusal form.

on the can side, it took no more than 15 mins for the paperwork...

as straightforward as it gets
excellent ! congrats
Old Jul 18th 2009, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Charlmoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flagpoling on foot at Peace Arch - success!

Hi,
Just thought I would add my story to this thread in case anyone else is looking for information.
We just returned from a nice sunny day's flagpole trip. It was easier, faster, and cheaper than doing it by mail. My OH needed a new work permit as he is changing employer, and I needed a change of conditions as I have had a medical so needed the 'cannot work in schools until has had a medical' condition removed.

We don't have a car, so took the bus 351 from vancouver to white rock centre, then a taxi to the border. We went on a saturday in july, arrived around lunch time and the border was fairly quiet, not as expected! The bus cost $2.50 and the taxi $10 so it was a lot cheaper than hiring a car, and i suspect quicker at the border as we didnt have to queue. Didn't see any construction works and there were only a few places with no sidewalk, but it was ok as the cars are all stationary at that point anyway.

We walked over the the US side, got our 'refusal to enter' (the guy knew exactly what we were doing and said ' ah, flagpoling, you need this form'). Then we went back to Canada where a nice lady changed my visa for free (it would have cost $150 by mail!) and changed OH's visa with a few basic questions, and payment of the fee.

we were still stressed (after all, im sure its not always this easy) and had a raft of supporting paperwork with us, but it turns out it was not needed.

so i would encourage anyone else not to worry so much - but make sure you have everything ready before you go!

Charlotte