Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Flagpoling from BC - practical experiences

Flagpoling from BC - practical experiences

Old May 5th 2016, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flagpoling from BC - practical experiences

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
Is ESTA needed for land travel?
No, I meant an I-94-W
Old Jun 1st 2016, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

So, we did. We drove to Bellingham, didn't mention anything about flagpoling at the border, went to secondary, had to wait for about 2 hours (lunchtime and only 2 officers), my SO had to complete an I-94 (I didn't because I have a B1/B2 visa), we paid the fee and off we went. Two days later, when returning to Canada, we said that we're activating a PR, they told us where to park, we entered the building, went up to the counter (no queue) and really nice lady went over the form with us, told us where to sign, then sent us to read about Citizenship, 5 minutes later called us back, gave us our passports back, gave us some flags and said 'Welcome to Canada'.
Easy peasy
Old Jun 1st 2016, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
So, we did. We drove to Bellingham, didn't mention anything about flagpoling at the border, went to secondary, had to wait for about 2 hours (lunchtime and only 2 officers), my SO had to complete an I-94 (I didn't because I have a B1/B2 visa), we paid the fee and off we went. Two days later, when returning to Canada, we said that we're activating a PR, they told us where to park, we entered the building, went up to the counter (no queue) and really nice lady went over the form with us, told us where to sign, then sent us to read about Citizenship, 5 minutes later called us back, gave us our passports back, gave us some flags and said 'Welcome to Canada'.
Easy peasy
Congratulations! Hopefully that will be us very soon!
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 3:52 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

We flagpoled at the Aldergrove crossing. Had a chat to the US official and explained the purpose. He opened a few bollards we never entered the US proper just redirected back into Canada. A quiet crossing and usually a few minutes wait.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
We flagpoled at the Aldergrove crossing. Had a chat to the US official and explained the purpose. He opened a few bollards we never entered the US proper just redirected back into Canada. A quiet crossing and usually a few minutes wait.
Just be thankful you had no issues with CBSA on returning as what the US did was not the correct way and could have landed you in trouble with CBSA if there had been a problem. For others reading this is not the correct way to flag pole as if Canada finds a reason to refuse you entry then we would return you to the USA and you are now stuck in the USA and they have to deal with you.
It doesn't happen very often but it has.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 4:27 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Just be thankful you had no issues with CBSA on returning as what the US did was not the correct way and could have landed you in trouble with CBSA if there had been a problem. For others reading this is not the correct way to flag pole as if Canada finds a reason to refuse you entry then we would return you to the USA and you are now stuck in the USA and they have to deal with you.
It doesn't happen very often but it has.
Hmmm... Salient point FL, and sadly taken note of.
Just another example of the innocent at the mercy of the incompetent.
From ignorance of a valid visa type to a failure to issue required documents and now I understand this probably extends to a further failure to understand border control regulations, does anyone extend the hand of professional education to these officials?
Seems I'm fortunate that either CBSA officials were having a good day or like their US colleagues they just thought they were doing the job right.
Just goes to show that you can't trust anyone to do anything properly.

Last edited by dave_j; Jun 3rd 2016 at 4:42 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Hmmm... Salient point FL, and sadly taken note of.
Just another example of the innocent at the mercy of the incompetent.
From ignorance of a valid visa type to a failure to issue required documents and now I understand this probably extends to a further failure to understand border control regulations, does anyone extend the hand of professional education to these officials?
Seems I'm fortunate that either CBSA officials were having a good day or like their US colleagues they just thought they were doing the job right.
Just goes to show that you can't trust anyone to do anything properly.
Yep... If it were me i'd always go for doing a full trip across the border, not mentioning anything of flagpoling to the US officials, at the very least fill up with some cheap petrol and go to Meijer grocery shopping then go back across and land as a PR. That way no risk of incompetent/innocent BSO's or being given an administrative or actual refusal into the USA.

Cheers all.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 6:14 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Yep... If it were me i'd always go for doing a full trip across the border, not mentioning anything of flagpoling to the US officials, at the very least fill up with some cheap petrol and go to Meijer grocery shopping then go back across and land as a PR. That way no risk of incompetent/innocent BSO's or being given an administrative or actual refusal into the USA.

Cheers all.
But if you just to flip round, do the flag poling at the border properly and then come back to beautiful BC. We had some boating on the lake to do, not fannying unnecessarily in a boring bit of the U.S. You know how much I hate shopping I would take the administrative refusal any day over shopping. It has never caused a problem on many many trips South of the border and nor do I in the future.

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jun 3rd 2016 at 6:16 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
But if you just to flip round, do the flag poling at the border properly and then come back to beautiful BC. We had some boating on the lake to do, not fannying unnecessarily in a boring bit of the U.S. You know how much I hate shopping I would take the administrative refusal any day over shopping. It has never caused a problem on many many trips South of the border and nor do I in the future.
Oh yes, in principle I agree. In practise though the risk of the CBP officer giving you a real refusal by accident instead of an administrative one would be too great a risk for me just to avoid ~3 hours in the home of the brave
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 2:35 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Oh yes, in principle I agree. In practise though the risk of the CBP officer giving you a real refusal by accident instead of an administrative one would be too great a risk for me just to avoid ~3 hours in the home of the brave
FL might be able to enlighten us with the frequency of this but I would think that it would be as likely as Canada adopting cricket as it's national game
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 4:30 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
FL might be able to enlighten us with the frequency of this but I would think that it would be as likely as Canada adopting cricket as it's national game
I flagpoled for my PR (at Sumas) and got a refusal of entry on my record from the US. It caused 6 years of secondary inspection flying to/via the US to anywhere and generally meant an extra 2-3 hours needing to be left between connecting flights. I had to apply for traveller redress via Homeland Security, which took over a year in itself, and resulted in a boilerplate photocopied response.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

You must have got a bad one or Sumas is a bad choice - Peace Arch probably has a constant flow of Flagpolers....
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 7:09 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by R I C H
I flagpoled for my PR (at Sumas) and got a refusal of entry on my record from the US. It caused 6 years of secondary inspection flying to/via the US to anywhere and generally meant an extra 2-3 hours needing to be left between connecting flights. I had to apply for traveller redress via Homeland Security, which took over a year in itself, and resulted in a boilerplate photocopied response.
I amaware of your issues as previously posted but you aside I have not encountered any others - I would have no hesitation in recommending the administrative refusal given that 99.9% of procedures seem to be done correctly- sods law that yours wasnt
Old Jun 4th 2016, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle
Congratulations! Hopefully that will be us very soon!
Thank you and good luck
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

CReg91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I just read through the whole of this thread and learned a hell of a lot!

I'm currently in Toronto waiting for my CoPR. I plan on just driving down to Niagara falls for the day when it comes through.

Can someone just confirm that all I need to do is:

- drive down to the border with my CoPR, passport, and Goods Accompanying list
- tell them I'm checking out Niagara for the day
- return to the border later on and state that I'll be activating PR?

From what I've read above that should do the trick but I just want to double check so that I don't mess up!

Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.