Flagpoling

Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flagpoling

Originally Posted by JAJ
ESTA is not needed at the land frontier, at least not according to the regulations.

I believe that is only if you are a Canadian or a landed immigrant, so we applied for visa waivers.

I believe landed immigrant is not TWP type people, maybe wrong but applied anyway, just in case.

As far as crossing the bridge, last year it was possible as we renewed our TWP's and never crossed, but unsure if the rules are changed as people are now saying you need some US documentation.

Thats the trouble with this site, none of us are experts and quite often get contradicting stories.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

chams is on a distinguished road

So to clear up, ESTA is not required by land entry, but a I-49W form must be completed.

From the link below: "The Arrival-Departure Record, CBP Form I-94W (green form), must be completed by all nonimmigrant visitors seeking entry to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). Applicants applying for admission to the United States using a Form I-94W are exempt from having a visa. "

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id..._i94w_form.xml

Is this form filled out ahead of time, or issued at the border checkpoint?
Old Feb 19th 2009, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

nuin has a spectacular aura aboutnuin has a spectacular aura aboutnuin has a spectacular aura about

I-94 is the green form that is filled at the border and then attached to your passport.

P
Old Feb 19th 2009, 3:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeterF
I believe that is only if you are a Canadian or a landed immigrant, so we applied for visa waivers.

I believe landed immigrant is not TWP type people, maybe wrong but applied anyway, just in case.
Landed immigrants need visa waivers too!

The difference is that if you cross the land frontier, you do not need to use the new U.S. pre-authorization (ESTA) ... something you do need on the visa waiver if you fly into the U.S.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Visa_Waiver_Program

Get Canadian passports as soon as you can, the actual rules on what you can and cannot do in the U.S. are similar but you get to stay longer and the formalities are a lot simpler.

As far as crossing the bridge, last year it was possible as we renewed our TWP's and never crossed, but unsure if the rules are changed as people are now saying you need some US documentation.

Thats the trouble with this site, none of us are experts and quite often get contradicting stories.
The issue is discussed in the wiki article referenced in post #15 of this thread.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Silly question.
Do they accept visa cards for the $6 visa waiver forms?
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:45 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chams
Silly question.
Do they accept visa cards for the $6 visa waiver forms?
No such thing.

And...yes they do.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

As far as I know you still need to do ESTA if you are traveling by land using a commercial carrier like bus or train.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

Javarne has a spectacular aura aboutJavarne has a spectacular aura aboutJavarne has a spectacular aura about

We drove to Buffalo from Toronto to land about 3 weeks ago (had been in Toronto on a twp for 2 years previous).

It was a great day. Just did the visa waiver to enter the US at the boarder (We are British). Went to Buffalo for the afternoon for some shopping and lunch, then came back to land early evening.

Both US and Canadian boarder agents were really nice. The whole process coming back in to land took around 15 minutes.

Just got our PR Cards through the post this week :-)

All the best
Old Jun 8th 2009, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by geo4
No such thing.

And...yes they do.
Thanks. I took US cash anyway.
We basically flag-poled at the Rainbow bridge today. The officer asked at the booth what we were doing. I said going to look at the falls from the US side, but mostly, we were leaving to turn around and land.
He took our passports, had us park and head upstairs. In about 10 minutes, we were called in, given the green form, paid $6 and were in N.Y.
I parked at the visitors lot about 30 seconds from customs, walked over to see the falls, and turned around and drove back over the bridge.
We said we were in the US for about an hour and were here to land.

Coming back was even easier. In about 5 minutes we had signed the form and landed.
Done and dusted.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:11 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chams
Thanks. I took US cash anyway.
We basically flag-poled at the Rainbow bridge today. The officer asked at the booth what we were doing. I said going to look at the falls from the US side, but mostly, we were leaving to turn around and land.
He took our passports, had us park and head upstairs. In about 10 minutes, we were called in, given the green form, paid $6 and were in N.Y.
I parked at the visitors lot about 30 seconds from customs, walked over to see the falls, and turned around and drove back over the bridge.
We said we were in the US for about an hour and were here to land.

Coming back was even easier. In about 5 minutes we had signed the form and landed.
Done and dusted.
Sweet! We had some lunch at Hard Rock Cafe and came back.
The US side is gully!