Flagpoling

Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:38 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flagpoling

I understand that since mid 2008 there is no longer a need to actually physically "land" for those of us already in Canada.

So for someone in Toronto, rather than having to drive to Buffalo and come straight back; where can you go within the city to "land"?

Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of
Default Re: Flagpoling

Originally Posted by geo4
I understand that since mid 2008 there is no longer a need to actually physically "land" for those of us already in Canada.

So for someone in Toronto, rather than having to drive to Buffalo and come straight back; where can you go within the city to "land"?

Here is the bulletin noting the changes to the landing procedure for people who are temp residents in Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...tins/ob076.asp

From the looks of it you just phone the call centre and they'll make the appointment for you at a local office.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:02 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

I was going to to this when activating our prs, but the local office was only open at certain times and so it turned out to be easier to drive to the border (about an hour) at the weekend at a time of our choosing
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

chams is on a distinguished road

Not only that, but I heard it can take up to 60 days to get an appointment to land in Toronto.
Hello Fort Erie.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:01 am
Just Joined

mouha5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chams
Not only that, but I heard it can take up to 60 days to get an appointment to land in Toronto.
Hello Fort Erie.
i second that. I can even take 3 months before you get an appointment. you're better off crossing the border to the usa (try to enter the us for a couple of hours, do some sightseeing , and then come back for your landing procedures).
grats !
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Apparently, at Fort Erie, there is a left turn "Back to Canada" you can make without even crossing the bridge to enter the U.S.
You can then u-turn back to the Canadian check point.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=fort+er...num=1&ct=image

Last edited by chams; Feb 17th 2009 at 5:22 am.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:14 am
Swollen Member

Thanks all- useful info as ever!

Looks like I might be taking advantage of some cheap Buffalo shopping!

Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

We've just this minute received our passports back and with the passports comes a letter describing what people should do on arrival.

At the end of the letter is a small part for people who are already in Canada and it contains a phone number to call, where they make an appointment at your local CIC office to finalise the PR.

I just need to add....

Whoopeee
Old Feb 18th 2009, 1:35 am
Swollen Member

Originally Posted by PeterF
We've just this minute received our passports back and with the passports comes a letter describing what people should do on arrival.

At the end of the letter is a small part for people who are already in Canada and it contains a phone number to call, where they make an appointment at your local CIC office to finalise the PR.

I just need to add....

Whoopeee
Congrats!

How long did the passports take to come back?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

About 4 weeks I think (pos 5) not too long..

After trying to talk to someone for an appointment on their automated phone system, I've decided on the 1.5 hrs drive to Niagara.

For those suggesting going into the US, remember if you are a Brit and can do a visa waiver, you must apply online nowadays (at airports anyway, assuming land crossing is the same). They dont accept the green visa waiver forms anymore.

In the case of Niagara, there's no need to go to the states, there's a turning point just after the Canadian border control, before going onto the actual bridge, where you can turn around and re-enter.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

After trying to talk to someone for an appointment on their automated phone system, I've decided on the 1.5 hrs drive to Niagara.

For those suggesting going into the US, remember if you are a Brit and can do a visa waiver, you must apply online nowadays (at airports anyway, assuming land crossing is the same). They dont accept the green visa waiver forms anymore.

In the case of Niagara, there's no need to go to the states, there's a turning point just after the Canadian border control, before going onto the actual bridge, where you can turn around and re-enter.
Rainbow bridge?

Let us know how the CBSA officers are treating you when you haven't actually left the country...

Last edited by chams; Feb 18th 2009 at 5:10 am.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:11 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Except that is quite possible that CBSA will insist that you get a "rejection letter" from the US.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:18 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

I flagpoled at the Rainbow Bridge just over a month ago. The CBSA folk were very nice, no issues with them at all. They specifically asked me to walk across the bridge to the US side and back again, no mention of just turning round after leaving their office. They wanted paperwork from the US side, either a rejection notice or proof that you got a visa waiver for the US.

The US folks were also very nice....although I was glad that I got processed before the big coach full of people turned up! I noticed that they all got grilled way more than me.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

ESTA is not needed at the land frontier, at least not according to the regulations.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Trip_a...lagpole-Canada

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.