flagpoling!

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 3:53 am
Just Joined

supafly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default flagpoling!

Hello,

I am currently waiting on a reply for a PNP submitted in March. My question relates to the time it will take to get a TWP once I get the reply from the PNP.

My current working visa runs out in June so I need to get my TWP sorted as soon as possible after receiving the reply from the PNP.

Currently the advice from my lawyer is to submit forms to the CIC and await a TWP from them, which will take about a month, this is time that I don't have since my employer will not wait that long, my idea has been that I would head down to the border and get a TWP sorted as soon as the reply is received.

However my lawyer states that this process is not 100% guaranteed and they might not only reject my TWP but also my re-entry into Canada with so little time left on my work permit.

Is this true, is the only safe option to await a TWP from the CIC or is it accepted that most people under time constraints head to the border for their TWP?
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: flagpoling!

Hey supafly,

You must extend your work permit a minimum of 30 or 60 days prior to its expiry failure to do this will result in you being charged extra money and could affect your status here, you can't just wait for PNP acceptance (unless your LMO has run out).

With regard to flagpoling technically you don't leave Canada so don't worry too much about re-entry as you will sign a refusal to enter the US. My advice get your documents together and get down to the border to extend your permit without delay.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:03 am
Just Joined

supafly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
Hey supafly,

You must extend your work permit a minimum of 30 or 60 days prior to its expiry failure to do this will result in you being charged extra money and could affect your status here, you can't just wait for PNP acceptance (unless your LMO has run out).

With regard to flagpoling technically you don't leave Canada so don't worry too much about re-entry as you will sign a refusal to enter the US. My advice get your documents together and get down to the border to extend your permit without delay.
hey JE - sorry i wasn't clear, my current work permit is a working holiday with BUNAC so it is not extendible.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by supafly
hey JE - sorry i wasn't clear, my current work permit is a working holiday with BUNAC so it is not extendible.
We did BUNAC to BC PNP WP. We also had long delays as it was back when WPs were taking FOREVER to be processed.

We sat on implied status for quite a while. We had got our BC PNP nomination before BUNAC expired. We sent off for new WPs to Vegreville but nothing. So we took EVERYTHING down to the border and flagpoled it. Advice - take your NOC code as that was our big delay.

Got new WP. Came back to Canada and got PR soon afterwards.

I would discuss it with the folks at PNP - the ones in BC were always very helpful to me.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

ScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to all

Hi Superfly,
Sorry to drag up an old thread.

I am now in a similar position where i have just over 30 days left on my bunac visa in BC. I have received BC PNP nomination, and should receive the pack in the post on Monday.
I am unsure as to whether I should flagpole for TWP, send off to visa post for WP (how long would this take? and what if my bunac visa expired before getting a new TWP)
alternatively is a TWP required, can I use implied status to continue to work?

I would be interest to see what superfly did and how it went.
Thanks
Old Sep 6th 2008, 3:37 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Let us get it straight. Flagpoling involves leaving Canada and receiving a purely pro forma refusal of entry form from the US Border service.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 4:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Let us get it straight. Flagpoling involves leaving Canada and receiving a purely pro forma refusal of entry form from the US Border service.
Or being admitted to the United States and then returning.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to all

Thanks guys, but im looking for an answer to my question following on from Superfly
Old Sep 6th 2008, 5:13 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I know that you are waiting for Superfly to answer specifically, but I would take Live-to-Ski's advice and talk to the PNP folks for direction ......
Old Sep 6th 2008, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottDrummer
Thanks guys, but im looking for an answer to my question following on from Superfly
He hasn't logged on for a month, he might not see this thread.