British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   first steps (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/first-steps-943089/)

justp1980 Mar 9th 2022 8:26 pm

first steps

hello everyone,
So having had a family vote we are 99% sure on looking to immigrate to Canada.
As this is all new obviously, where should we first start? We have set up an account on canada.ca where we are on the understanding that this is needed to submit applications. We also keep seeing about IELTS, is this now mandatory to do as it asks you for a score? Or is it something that can just be done to boost your points?
We were looking also at the possibility of doing all the paperwork ourselves, is there anything that we should be aware of or look out for?
Also we have been advised that the PNP route would be best for us, how does this process actually work?

christmasoompa Mar 9th 2022 8:30 pm

Re: first steps

Whether or not IELTS is mandatory will depend on the visa route you end up going down, it is required for most visa routes but not all. You can assume max scores for now as native English speakers.

PNP is an odd choice as a 'best route', it's quite a bit more onerous than other routes, plus you're then tied to the province that sponsored you for a while, but may be the only option so perhaps that's why it's been suggested?

Did you take the test on the official immigration website given to you in your other thread? That would be your first step. If so, what did that say?

justp1980 Mar 10th 2022 3:24 pm

Hi, we gave a immigration lawyer from Canadaim some basic info to see my score, they came back with a score of 400. They concluded in the e-mail that doing the PNP route would give us automatically 600 points, therefore a total of 1000 and enabling permanent residency? This did seem odd but we don't want to just be stuck with one province and have wider choice. We haven not agreed in any way to use these to represent us, is it possible tactics to get us roped in with them?

christmasoompa Mar 10th 2022 3:33 pm

OK, but check your own score yourself, and make sure they're right. PNP would give you an extra 600 points and guarantee you'd get an invite under EE, but for most PNP routes you need a sponsoring employer and it takes longer and is more convoluted than a 'normal' EE app. Plus not ideal if you don't want to be tied to a province (although if you are only scoring 400, then you'd going to have that anyway, as you'll probably need a job offer so will have to just go where you can find that and then be tied to your employer for a while too).

So check your scores first, in case you do qualify without a job offer or provincial nomination. If not, then let us know what you both do and where you want to go, it may be that there are other options.

justp1980 Mar 11th 2022 2:25 pm

That's great thank you, i did check for myself being the main application and EE was a no go, however we did check with my wife being the main applicant
and it would seem that if we did this then it EE was viable. We have noticed though that when you go on the Canada.ca page to get the ball rolling that it asks for IELTS test results, and date done. As we have not done this, if we just put in the high score and any date can this then be updated if and when needed?
We don't really want to make any mistakes if we are looking at doing the paperwork ourselves.

christmasoompa Mar 11th 2022 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by justp1980 (Post 13100607)
That's great thank you, i did check for myself being the main application and EE was a no go, however we did check with my wife being the main applicant
and it would seem that if we did this then it EE was viable. We have noticed though that when you go on the Canada.ca page to get the ball rolling that it asks for IELTS test results, and date done. As we have not done this, if we just put in the high score and any date can this then be updated if and when needed?
We don't really want to make any mistakes if we are looking at doing the paperwork ourselves.

OK. You won't be eligible to apply until you do have IELTS results, they're mandatory for FSW apps.

So your wife is eligible to enter the pool, which is great, but that's only the first step as EE is a two part process. Once in the pool only those scoring the highest are selected and invited to apply for PR, so you need to check your wife's CRS score (again, just go with max points for English for now to give you an idea). It'll need to be above approx 470 as a rough guide to be in with a chance. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...d/crs-tool.asp

Also, can you let us know what answers you're putting in, as I'm wondering why it's saying you're not eligible? It's just that from your other thread, it looks as though you work in a trade occupation? So you may have a better chance, the points requirement is much lower for Federal Skilled Trade apps. Do you know your NOC code?

Revin Kevin Mar 18th 2022 1:41 pm

Might be worth having a look at some of the Provincial Nominee PR schemes. Most provinces have various "PNP" streams whereby if you qualify they will nominate you for PR in return for you agreeing to live in that province. If you do get nominated by a province you will still have to apply separately to IRCC for your PR but you are more or less guaranteed PR baring background or medical issues.