First Steps

Old Dec 2nd 2014, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

NeilEB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First Steps

Hi all,

New member here.

My wife and I have recently been discussing trying out life in Canada - I already have an aunty out there, and have visited before.

What I'm not sure on is what steps are required. I believe I'm too old to get a visa by myself, but I know my company has offices out in Canada. If I were to get a transfer, is there some sort of temporary visa that I could get? Would that allow me to work towards permanent residency?

Would my wife be able to work? Technically she could go the self-employed route and possibly still work for UK firms, but I'm not sure what is legal in that regard?

There's still a lot of research to be done, but if anyone has some advice of these questions, that would be much appreciated.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 12:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Steps

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by NeilEB
I believe I'm too old to get a visa by myself, but I know my company has offices out in Canada.
There's no age limit on visas.

If I were to get a transfer, is there some sort of temporary visa that I could get? Would that allow me to work towards permanent residency?
Yes, you'd get a Temp Work Permit, usually for 3 years, tying you to that job and employer. Your wife would get a Spousal Open Work Permit (as the name implies, it's an open permit so she can work for pretty much anybody on it). And whilst it wouldn't automatically lead to PR, you should be eligible to apply for one of the many routes to PR once there working.

Only certain people qualify for intra-company transfer work permits though, so you'll need to first figure out if you're among them, and then if so, see if you can get a transfer with your current employer. This Wiki article outlines the three available categories for this visa, do you come under any of those? Intra-Company Transfer-Canada : British Expat Wiki

If so, then great, you know what you need to work towards with your current company. If not, then start again looking at visas and see which you may be eligible for.

HTH a bit, best of luck.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 1:11 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that - the Intra-Company visa seems a little bit vague in terms of what counts as 'Specialized Knowledg' - but the other conditions aren't an issue.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 3:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that - the Intra-Company visa seems a little bit vague in terms of what counts as 'Specialized Knowledg' - but the other conditions aren't an issue.
The knowledge can be of anything, but it's a tough category to come under as you need to meet the criteria outlined in the Wiki article, i.e. you have knowledge that doesn't exist in the Canadian workforce and can't be found in Canada, the company can prove how vital your knowledge is to their continued productivity etc.

For more info, you can read here - Operational Bulletin 575 – June 9, 2014

HTH.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 3:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks again - I guess I'll have to initiate a conversation with my company when the time is right (don't want to risk burning bridges here yet).

However I'm now very confused - I went onto the Immigration website and took the 'test' to see if I'm eligible for a Visa - and apparently I'm not....
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 3:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks again - I guess I'll have to initiate a conversation with my company when the time is right (don't want to risk burning bridges here yet).

However I'm now very confused - I went onto the Immigration website and took the 'test' to see if I'm eligible for a Visa - and apparently I'm not....
Ignore the test, it's not been working for a while! No idea why it's not been fixed, but don't bother with it and just look at the info above to see if you'd qualify for an intra-company TWP or not.

Best of luck.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 4:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ignore the test, it's not been working for a while! No idea why it's not been fixed, but don't bother with it and just look at the info above to see if you'd qualify for an intra-company TWP or not.

Best of luck.
Now that is VERY useful to know!

I'm trying to speak to someone in the HR department in Canada to see what info they have - I'm sure they've been through this before and can hopefully point me in the right direction
Old Dec 4th 2014, 9:32 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

You may be surprised how little HR over here know about it, if that's the case or they don't seem keen, don't be overly put off by that. sometimes, odd as it sounds you have to tell them.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

I spoke to someone yesterday - she seemed to indicate that as long as I can find myself a billed role (I@m a consultant, so I work on client sites), then the visa is easy.

I need to wait until the new year for the Director to return from holiday