First Stages - Advice Needed!

Old Sep 2nd 2017, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

faithh is an unknown quantity at this point
Question First Stages - Advice Needed!

Hi

I'm 19 and a full British citizen, and am looking to move to Ontario with my partner who is 25

Neither of us have a degree, but we are working in IT.

I'm a software tester, and I have seen on Indeed there seems to be a lot of jobs available and I would be the primary applicant. I saw some people say the NOC code for this is 2171 but I'm sure it is 2283? How could I get confirmation for this?

Also, how could I get an appointment at the High Commission of Canada to discuss things in detail? I can't always find the information I need on the CIC website for all my questions..

Would I need to apply to get a representative too? I don't want to apply until we have the money and a few more months of experience just in case it gets accepted with false information.

I also need around 10 points which could come from a work sponsor - how have other people gone about getting these?

Any help/advice you have would be great
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 4:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Stages - Advice Needed!

Given your ages, is there some reason why you aren't considering IEC visas, aka working holiday visas?

Once you have jobs with Canadian employers that immediately gives you additional points.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 2nd 2017 at 4:55 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 4:49 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by faithh
Also, how could I get an appointment at the High Commission of Canada to discuss things in detail? I can't always find the information I need on the CIC website for all my questions..
Those days are long gone! You don't get to make appointments with the HC or CIC to discuss things. They process applications, it is up to you do find out the information. Research on the CIC website and through BE, should be able to answer most questions that way.

As has been said, IEC is the way to go.
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

faithh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Given your ages, is there some reason why you aren't considering an IEC visa, aka a working holiday a visa?

Once you have a job with a Canadian employer that immediately gives you additional points.
Would my partner be able to come over with me? That is my main issue... I don't want to be abroad for a year to get the points on my own without him And how easy is it to get work with one?
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 4:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Would my partner be able to come over with me? That is my main issue... I don't want to be abroad for a year to get the points on my own without him And how easy is it to get work with one?
If you have cohabited for a year or more and are common law.

About the same as a Canadian worker, as you have the legal right to work in Canada.
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 4:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Would my partner be able to come over with me? That is my main issue. ....
Given your ages, ....
Your clue is in my previous post.
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 5:13 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Those days are long gone! You don't get to make appointments with the HC or CIC to discuss things. They process applications, it is up to you do find out the information. Research on the CIC website and through BE, should be able to answer most questions that way.

As has been said, IEC is the way to go.
A good place to start might be the Wiki section. It's the fourth tab from the left on the blue bar above. It contains a wealth of information and, if you read it, should answer most of your questions.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Given your ages, is there some reason why you aren't considering IEC visas, aka working holiday visas?

Once you have jobs with Canadian employers that immediately gives you additional points.
For avoidance of doubt, you only get extra points for Canadian employment if you have a positive LMIA and/or if you are employed for more than one year in a skilled occupation. Having a job in itself is not going to give you points automatically.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
For avoidance of doubt, you only get extra points for Canadian employment if you have a positive LMIA and/or if you are employed for more than one year in a skilled occupation. Having a job in itself is not going to give you points automatically.
Just for clarity you get skilled Canadian employment provided it was for a year and was either with a positive a LMIA or was LMIA exempt.