Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

First PR Card - urgent procedure ?

First PR Card - urgent procedure ?

Old Jul 22nd 2012, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default First PR Card - urgent procedure ?

The wife & I activated PR at the Peace Bridge crossing yesterday, yay !!

Unfortunately we are due to fly to Europe for a 10-day trip at the beginning of September, so we're extremely unlikely to receive our first PR card in time. Current processing times for first PR cards: 46 business days...

I had come well prepared with itinerary & proof of payment when landing, and request the 'urgent procedure' for the PR card, but the CBSA officer wanted to have none of it - according to him, that's only an option when renewing the card.

Has anyone ever requested the 'urgent' procedure for *first* PR cards ??

PS As an interesting aside, after I told the officer of our 'predicament', he suggested driving over to the Detroit visa office (as Buffalo has closed), get a PR Travel Document, and make sure it doesn't get 'activated' when re-entering Canada from Detroit. Unfortunately it seems that of last month, the Detroit office has stopped accepting in-person applications. The application times are 'at least 30 days' - I'm not willing to take that risk !!
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 4:46 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First PR Card - urgent procedure ?

Hi

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
The wife & I activated PR at the Peace Bridge crossing yesterday, yay !!

Unfortunately we are due to fly to Europe for a 10-day trip at the beginning of September, so we're extremely unlikely to receive our first PR card in time. Current processing times for first PR cards: 46 business days...

I had come well prepared with itinerary & proof of payment when landing, and request the 'urgent procedure' for the PR card, but the CBSA officer wanted to have none of it - according to him, that's only an option when renewing the card.

Has anyone ever requested the 'urgent' procedure for *first* PR cards ??

PS As an interesting aside, after I told the officer of our 'predicament', he suggested driving over to the Detroit visa office (as Buffalo has closed), get a PR Travel Document, and make sure it doesn't get 'activated' when re-entering Canada from Detroit. Unfortunately it seems that of last month, the Detroit office has stopped accepting in-person applications. The application times are 'at least 30 days' - I'm not willing to take that risk !!

1. The CBSA officer was correct, there is no urgent processing for the initial PR card.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 5:04 am
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute

We landed on May 27th 2012 and are flying to Jamaca on August 4th and still have no PR cards yet, but from what we can gather because we have UK passports you don't need to worry about visa's or other documents to get back into the country I hope!
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

123me is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband landed May 7th and no PR card yet.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 5:20 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by umpalumpa
We landed on May 27th 2012 and are flying to Jamaca on August 4th and still have no PR cards yet, but from what we can gather because we have UK passports you don't need to worry about visa's or other documents to get back into the country I hope!
As long as you have your landing documents still in your passport with your visa you dont need a PR card to get back into the country.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If you have already applied for a permanent resident card

Fax this information to 1 (514) 496-8670 :
•a photocopy of your plane, bus, train or boat ticket (if this is not available, send a travel itinerary or e-ticket with proof of partial or full payment for the ticket);
•the tracking number of your envelope, if you have sent your application by registered mail or by courier;
•your first and last names;
•your client identification number (if available);
•your date of birth;
•your home address;
•your telephone and/or fax number;
•your e-mail address; and
•the date you sent your application.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...card/index.asp

CIC will e-mail, call or fax you within two business days of getting your fax. There is no guarantee that the card will be ready before you leave. However, CIC will try to process your application as quickly as possible
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 5:52 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If you have already applied for a permanent resident card

Fax this information to 1 (514) 496-8670 :
•a photocopy of your plane, bus, train or boat ticket (if this is not available, send a travel itinerary or e-ticket with proof of partial or full payment for the ticket);
•the tracking number of your envelope, if you have sent your application by registered mail or by courier;
•your first and last names;
•your client identification number (if available);
•your date of birth;
•your home address;
•your telephone and/or fax number;
•your e-mail address; and
•the date you sent your application.

CIC will e-mail, call or fax you within two business days of getting your fax. There is no guarantee that the card will be ready before you leave. However, CIC will try to process your application as quickly as possible
Except you will find that CIC will not process initial PR cards on an urgent basis.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Except you will find that CIC will not process initial PR cards on an urgent basis.
Unfortunately the CIC website doesnt clearly spell that out in the link I provided. I hear what you are saying but they could try to claim ignorance as one could argue that they have applied for their PR card when they landed.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 11:00 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Unfortunately the CIC website doesnt clearly spell that out in the link I provided. I hear what you are saying but they could try to claim ignorance as one could argue that they have applied for their PR card when they landed.
They can try, but it ain't going to happen.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
They can try, but it ain't going to happen.
I think I'll try sending the fax. What have I got to lose?
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 3:42 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

If you are Dutch citizens then you should have no problem returning to Canada without a PR card. As PMM has pointed out there is no urgent processing for initial PR cards and you are just wasting your time in trying to get that service.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 4:27 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I got back in from US with just my passport and the CORPS paper in it - if travelling on a PP from a visa waiver country (ie UK) you dont have to have your PR card - - HOWEVER . .the issue can be that the carrier (BA,Transatt etc) may not appreciate this and wont want you to board without a PR card - or indeed allow you to board with out a PR card.

Or on arrival you get a newer CBSA officer not fully conversant with all the regs and they send you to secondary Imig, where they then look at your stuff and tel you to trot on through!
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I got back in from US with just my passport and the CORPS paper in it - if travelling on a PP from a visa waiver country (ie UK) you dont have to have your PR card - - HOWEVER . .the issue can be that the carrier (BA,Transatt etc) may not appreciate this and wont want you to board without a PR card - or indeed allow you to board with out a PR card.

Or on arrival you get a newer CBSA officer not fully conversant with all the regs and they send you to secondary Imig, where they then look at your stuff and tel you to trot on through!
Glad they let you back in sunshine
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Without getting into all the legalities and arguments about section 148 of IRPA and the travelling without a PR card when you are a PR of Canada you could travel on your passport home. As soon as you get home then follow these procedures as per this link

I need to leave Canada and I do not have a permanent resident card. Can I later re-enter Canada?
If you plan to return in a non-private vehicle, such as a plane or bus
If you plan to return to Canada in a commercial vehicle–such as a plane, train, boat or bus–you must apply for a travel document for permanent residents at a Canadian visa office abroad before returning to Canada. The travel document is only valid for one entry.
See a list of visa offices outside Canada.

This scenario has been discussed many times over. This is a transportation issue. Without that PR card and outside Canada then the carrier could refuse you boarding. Also IRPA states that if outside Canada without the PR card then you are not presumed to have PR status as per A31(b)
(b) a person who is outside Canada and who does not present a status document indicating permanent resident status is presumed not to have permanent resident status.
The major carriers BA, Air Canada, KLM etc etc dont appear to enforce this on persons who carry a passport who dont require a TRV to enter Canada and many have travelled back without the PR card.
Once they arrive back in Canada they are usually sent back to Immigration for verification of their status.
From the CBSA HQ viewpoint their answer has been somewhat vague and not very helpful when I sent this question to them.
Both the passport and PR card are prescribed documents under reg 259 of IRPA.
The CIC manuals in particular ENF 27 has this little gem
However, in cases where travel plans do not allow for the processing of a PR card on an expedited basis, clients have the alternative of applying at a visa office abroad for a temporary travel document issued under A31(3), prior to their return. This procedure requires a fee payment of $50, as well as a determination of their permanent resident status (see OP 10, section 7). Visa offices maintain a high-quality service standard for the issuance of PRTDs, and seek to facilitate the return travel of legitimate permanent
residents to Canada, wherever possible.

Now that your head is spinning you can now decide which course of action to take.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Former Lancastrian, I would love to do 'the right thing' and apply for a Travel Document, but practicalities are getting in the way.

The CBSA officer who processed me told me to drive to Detroit to get one (as Buffalo has closed). Unfortunately that's now also no longer an option, they stopped taking in-person applications as of June.

I'm actually flying out to Amsterdam for 10 days. The nearest visa office is in London, but there's this pesky thing called 'La Manche' in between which makes travel expensive and time-consuming. The next best location is Paris, over 300 miles away. The office accepts applications in person from 8.30am to 11am, with likely a queue forming from about 7am onwards. I don't know how I would get to central London or central Paris (from Amsterdam) that early in the morning without an expensive hotel stay. It all gets a bit impractical given that we'll only be out of Canada for 10 days.

By the way, in April I flew from Gatwick to Toronto on a one-way ticket on nothing but my passport and TWP. Would I be right in assuming that passport+COPR is nearly the same? COPR and TWP both not visas and not valid for travel? I know of course that I was just lucky back then and that there is no guarantee...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.