Finding work for FSW

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Bevlar1980 is just really niceBevlar1980 is just really niceBevlar1980 is just really niceBevlar1980 is just really niceBevlar1980 is just really niceBevlar1980 is just really niceBevlar1980 is just really niceBevlar1980 is just really nice
Default Finding work for FSW

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping you can clarify a couple of things for me regarding "Arranged Employment"

Having read the WIKI and taken the self assessment tests on CIC (Several times!!) It looks like my OH and I don't score enough points on the FSW scheme to apply

My OH would be the main applicant and can either apply under NOC 7241 Electricians (Except Industrial and Power systems) for which he has 1 years experience or 7265 Welders and related machine operators for which he has the full 4+ years experience. We only get 62 points as my qualifications are professional (Cisco Networking) so I don't score any points and he doesn't speak French so can't even squeeze a few extra points in there either!

From what I understand the best option is to obtain a permanent job offer which gives us another 10 points and takes us to 72 points. I used to think this wouldn't be such a difficult thing, however from reading the forums it seems like getting a job offer is as likely as winning the lottery!! I also understand that if we obtain a job offer we also have the option of applying via PNP if the FSW route fails.

I'm not sure that I really understand the process though. Is it that he would apply for work specifying in his covering letter that he is looking to enter Canada through the FSW route and is therefore if accepted likely to be available to start work in 6-12 months? I'm confused as to which employer would wait 6-12 months for him/us? Or would they try and get a positive LMO and ask him to get a TWP and apply whilst in Canada?

Has anyone successfully obtained a permanent job offer where the employer is willing to wait for you to obtain PR and enter the country? If yes any advice you can give on how you approached this matter would be great.

Only if all else fails would we like to enter on a TWP as we have a house to sell and commitments here to tie up. The 6-12 months application time is perfect for us... it's just a pity we are not the perfect applicants at present

Anyway enough doom and gloom from me. I'm sure we'll get there in the end.. I refuse to give up!!

Many thanks
Bevlar
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding work for FSW

Welcome to the forum
Looks like either TWP/finding a company to offer you employment is your
best option at he moment . Hope things work out
try www.jobbank.ca it won't be easy finding a company willing to wait but not impossible.
if its possible for you I'd advise a reccie to Canada /province you'd like to live visa permitting and whilst in Canada put some feelers out for possible employment opportunities.

Last edited by joinerboy; Aug 23rd 2010 at 6:16 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

For what it's worth, we were in a similar situation; rejected with 65 points.

After the rejection I found an employer willing to put the time and effort in towards obtaining an LMO for a TWP.

So it's not impossible, but (sorry)
  • It took me 300+ job applications to get 1 employer interested.
  • My employer pushed very hard to get me to start work asap, even suggesting I not work my notice in the UK.

On the positive side
  • The LMO application took 2 days to come back positive. The TWP was instant on arrival.
  • We now have 15 points towards our FSW application
  • Once you are working on a TWP, there could be a few permanent streams available to you; CI, PNP or FSW
My gut feeling is that if you do manage to get an employer interested, you may have to be flexible and be willing to move quickly, unless you have skills in super high demand, where an employer may wait.

PS, we also had house to sell, which we did from Canada after arranging an estate agent and assigning over power of attorney.

Good luck!

Last edited by spaceace; Aug 23rd 2010 at 8:25 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Bevlar1980 is just really niceBevlar1980 is just really niceBevlar1980 is just really niceBevlar1980 is just really niceBevlar1980 is just really niceBevlar1980 is just really niceBevlar1980 is just really niceBevlar1980 is just really nice

Thanks both of you for your replies. It's quite gutting really! I might see if I have a long lost family member in Canada!!

I did read on another post, something about IT people not needing to get LMO??? This is not something I have come across before so I may research this as it could be that we can actually get in via my job and not his.

In regards to the house... thanks spaceace this is probably something we could look into i.e getting our family to sell for us. Alternatively I could stay behind. Do you need to enter at the same time as your OH to get your open TWP?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

I didn't want my post to put you off, just be realistic.....I do believe that if you are determined enough, there are ways and means to get here.

Time-line for us was;
Interviews (5 of them) over Dec/Jan 2009/10
Job offer Jan 2010
House on the market Feb 2010
Finished work in the UK (Friday) 5th Feb 2010
Started work in CA (Monday) 8th Feb 2010
Shipped house contents March 2010
Partner and kids stayed in the empty house on camping beds (LOL) and followed on in April 2010 - this was their choice BTW.

So as you can see, we really jumped at the chance of work here despite the huge upheaval in a short period of time.

I'm in IT. There were a handful if IT occupations that were LMO exempt, and my emplyer did try those when we were talking about permits, from memory they were software engineers/developer roles and I didn't qualify. BUT I can't find the list on the CIC website, maybe that stream is dead.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../tfw-guide.asp
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

No don't worry I'd rather be realistic about things. Put off I am not!! We need to write some dam good resumes and letters I think.

So do you have PR now?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

A common route is to get an LMO and get a Work Permit, and then apply for PR while working at the company. Companies are more keen on this, they don't have to wait for up to a year for your application to be approved. It just causes stress when the expiry date of your work permit approaches.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

Bevlar: why don't you look more into the PNP route? Have you made up your mind in which province you plan on going?

MB for example has a PNP stream which allows you to apply for PNP if you are "employable" in MB (strategic stream, or also called community supported stream), which both electrician and welder would be. You work together with a community and do an exploratory visit with an interview with PNP officer. Positive outcome allows you to hand in your PNP application. When nominated you can either find a job and get a WP or apply for PR while staying in UK.

Just something to consider..if you need more info, feel free to PM me.

cheers
Ilse
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Thanks Manitobain; I had looked at PNP for the various provinces, however had concentrated up to now on FSW. I'm going to read the various PNP sites today and will PM you if I get stuck.

Thanks you've put a smile on my face for the rest of the day now
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bevlar1980
No don't worry I'd rather be realistic about things. Put off I am not!! We need to write some dam good resumes and letters I think.

So do you have PR now?
good to hear :-)

No, I'm on a 2 year TWP, and waiting on medicals for FSW2 PR application.

Good luck!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 12:38 am
Just Joined

KenD has a spectacular aura aboutKenD has a spectacular aura aboutKenD has a spectacular aura about

IF you're going to write your resume and cover letter, make sure you highlight your key skills and experience as early as possible in the document. Don't make a hiring manager audit your document to find relevant skills or information.

Don't present any additional hurdles for a Canadian employer e.g. make sure your education/professional certification equivalents are listed beside your quals entry, and that you position your unique selling features in a high-impact, accessible format.

Think about objections they may have to hiring you (country of residence/notice periods/risk etc) and deal with them in the documents - don't avoid them.

I was speaking to a banking executive in Vancouver recently, and she told me that she had over 300 applicants for a front line customer service role!

If the role is well contested, you need to do what you can to stand-out - especially if there are added complications.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 1:28 am
Banned

walker65 has a spectacular aura aboutwalker65 has a spectacular aura aboutwalker65 has a spectacular aura about

My husband came in as a trained millwright/welder
He had to prove that he had the totals hours before he could challenge the red seal, once done the province will nominate you in on the pnp.

I believe it was 9000hrs and had to have all his qualifications checked with the ait in town.
He had his interview in the uk and then one here and once accepted he was over here working within 6mths.
It left me to sell the house in the uk, but we have family here so it was easier than most.

Look at the job bank and local papers for the jobs, also networking helped us land the job.
I believe that electricians and welders are still on the list of trades needed, so getting a lmo shouldnt be that hard, it will be down to the employer.
Good luck on your search

Walker
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies everyone, they are all very helpful. I'm going to the emigrate2 fair in october so hopefully will have a clearer idea on my options then :-)
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:55 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I understand the best option is to obtain a permanent job offer which gives us another 10 points and takes us to 72 points. I used to think this wouldn't be such a difficult thing, however from reading the forums it seems like getting a job offer is as likely as winning the lottery!! I also understand that if we obtain a job offer we also have the option of applying via PNP if the FSW route fails.

I'm not sure that I really understand the process though. Is it that he would apply for work specifying in his covering letter that he is looking to enter Canada through the FSW route and is therefore if accepted likely to be available to start work in 6-12 months? I'm confused as to which employer would wait 6-12 months for him/us? Or would they try and get a positive LMO and ask him to get a TWP and apply whilst in Canada?

Has anyone successfully obtained a permanent job offer where the employer is willing to wait for you to obtain PR and enter the country? If yes any advice you can give on how you approached this matter would be great.

Only if all else fails would we like to enter on a TWP as we have a house to sell and commitments here to tie up. The 6-12 months application time is perfect for us... it's just a pity we are not the perfect applicants at present

Many thanks
Bevlar
I only know people who went the TWP route, including us!
Get your OH to do some research and make a job hunting trip. My OH went in early June, had 2 interviews and made lots of cold calls, got offered a job, company applied for LMO which came through 6 weeks ago and he picked up his TWP at Calgary on Sunday.
We are in the same situation as you, with a house and stuff to sell. We got all the paperwork ready over the last few weeks and he has it all with him ready to add his TWP copy and the Bankers Draft in the next day or two.
I am staying in the UK while our PR goes through and even though it is very hard to be apart, there are advantages to this.
1) No rush to sell the house - people can offer low if they know you are in a hurry to go!
2) OH has time to scope out areas and houses in which we might like to live in Canada before me and our stuff arrives
3) More time to tie up affairs properly in the UK - there's more than you think!
4) Exchange rate is slowly improving - a small rise in the £ makes a big difference when transferring house-sized chunks of money!
5) OH has time to generate some credit history in Canada before we move permanently
6) A lot can change in a year - if lean times hit your company, will they hold a job open for you while they struggle to keep Canadians employed? We thought it was better for OH to get the hell over there and grab it while it was on offer.
7) You can call CIO for free from Canada and so asking questions aout the application is easy
8) If you are Spouse, you get an Open Work Permit when you land if you do decide to go earlier
Being apart is emotionally hard, but in every other respect we could see it just didn't make sense to sit here and wait for PR when we could get it while he worked in Canada on TWP.
Each to their own, of course, but time and tide wait for no man!