Finding what they need

Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:56 am
Just Joined

natrob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding what they need

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone knows anywhere that I could find out what shortages there are in the Canadian employment market I am constantly being told that they need this that or the other but have not been able to locate any information myself.

Thanks
Old Oct 25th 2005, 11:36 am
Ambiroadious

WorldWeary will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Finding what they need

By doing the online skilled worker points assessment you should be able to figure it out. As demand for any particular type of worker goes up and down, so do the points awarded.

ie. If they need bus drivers, being a qualified bus driver will get you X points today. If they get a lot of applicants who are bus drivers this year, the number of points it gets next year will be lower.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 11:38 am
Just Joined

natrob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WorldWeary
By doing the online skilled worker points assessment you should be able to figure it out. As demand for any particular type of worker goes up and down, so do the points awarded.

ie. If they need bus drivers, being a qualified bus driver will get you X points today. If they get a lot of applicants who are bus drivers this year, the number of points it gets next year will be lower.

Hi

Thanks that is great I will look in to that.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:27 pm
Can I go now!?

OzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really nice

This is probably the way it should work but unfortunately it isn't. Given that your work experience is in an appropriate occupation the only thing that affects the points you get is the number of years experience that you have.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:41 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

What country are you talking about? As my friend OzRob rightly states this is not the canadian skilled worker rule, at least it wasnt when I last checked.

Or are we missing something
Old Oct 25th 2005, 2:15 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by natrob
Hi

I was just wondering if anyone knows anywhere that I could find out what shortages there are in the Canadian employment market I am constantly being told that they need this that or the other but have not been able to locate any information myself.

Thanks
Hi Natrob, Try this usefull link http://www.jobfutures.ca/en/home.shtml

I do wish some people would stop talking out there arse and post something usefull and factual (not aimed at Sir Mhhp or OzRob, both of whom post very usefull and relevant facts)

Last edited by andy_sheila; Oct 25th 2005 at 2:26 pm. Reason: just so there's no misunderstanding
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

hard to say really as each province probably requires different skills....A few people I work with have moved from mainly Newfoundland and PEI to calgary because they say there is no work for them there......I would probably suggest looking at some job sites and see whats going...try www.monster.ca.

If you have no luck...I do know that in Cochrane at the moment we're desperate for someone to make a cuppa tea...don't know if thats up your street...

Anyway hope you find some useful info.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andy_sheila

I do wish some people would stop talking out there arse
Ouch !!! :scared:
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
Ouch !!! :scared:
Depends upon whether or not it has teeth
Old Oct 25th 2005, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

JamesK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks
Hi,

You can take a look at what jobs are being advertised in each area via a recruitment site such as monster:

http://english.monster.ca/

There is an official description of the job market at

http://lmi-imt.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/stand...v_main&lcode=e

It has a section "Employment Prospects" that claims to give you exactly what you asked for.

Cheers,
James.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 10:09 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

The following article relates to BC, present and future job shortages.

http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/skills/i...a-shortage.htm

If you look on each provinces government websites, you will find many pages that relate to their own skill shortages (if any) and how they are looking to future problems more than just present.
You will also find links to the government job bank and private ones too.

Hi

Thanks
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:13 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi natrob,

As well as the stats and factual stuff mentioned here, you might want to check out industry clusters specific to your skills/industry knowledge and identify whereabouts exactly in Canada they're located. Then try some specific research aimed at employers, not neccessarily job apps but contacting them asking for some idea of the strength of their recruitment demands, future openings, etc. That way you'll also guage how much genuine interest there may be in your skills and experience.

Don't forget that if you have a specific skill or profession, you'll maybe need to get authorisation to work as an xxxxx in Canada. Trade associations etc are key to ensuring your Canadian employment 'can happen' rather than getting held up in reasessement, exams, beaurocracy, etc.

And local newspapers are worth checking to see how often suitable jobs crop up in your sector, and also give a measure of the strength of the 'general' job market. Although jobs are gained by the networking, coffee-waffle and Billy Bob's cousins' newly arived nephews sister from Vancouver model.

Rich.