Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Finding someone to witness the Statutory Declaration

Finding someone to witness the Statutory Declaration

Old Jan 13th 2010, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

canadiangirl80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding someone to witness the Statutory Declaration

Hello,

I am reading a lot on different forums that people were able to get a solicitor to witness their statutory declarations for £5. I am in Canada right now, but trying to get the BF to get his father to do one of our stat decs. He is convinced that he will not be able to find anyone who can do this for anything less than £50. I have tried emailing a few solicitors, but they keep pointing me towards a notary public (whose rates are astronomical!) Does anyone have any helpful information for me? I need one in Oxfordshire.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 5:53 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding someone to witness the Statutory Declaration

Originally Posted by canadiangirl80
Hello,

I am reading a lot on different forums that people were able to get a solicitor to witness their statutory declarations for £5. I am in Canada right now, but trying to get the BF to get his father to do one of our stat decs. He is convinced that he will not be able to find anyone who can do this for anything less than £50. I have tried emailing a few solicitors, but they keep pointing me towards a notary public (whose rates are astronomical!) Does anyone have any helpful information for me? I need one in Oxfordshire.
Where in Oxfordshire? Any solicitor can witness a stat dec - it doesn't need to be a notary public. Tell the solicitors receptionist that you need someone to do a swear for you. They will understand what you mean!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

I'm starting to think anywhere in Oxfordshire, but optimally in the Abingdon or Oxford city centre area (or anywhere between the two.) I have been emailing, as it's easier for me (I hate talking on the phone ), so maybe I'm not wording it properly. I will try again
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

As has already been stated, any solicitor can sort out your Statutory Declaration for you. The maximum anyone is allowed to charge (including Notaries) is 5 pounds plus 2 pounds for each exhibit.

Better still, nip off to your local County Court and the clerks there will do it for free.

Here is a link to the Courts:http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/HMCSCourtFinder/

HTH
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:20 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I'm starting to think anywhere in Oxfordshire, but optimally in the Abingdon or Oxford city centre area (or anywhere between the two.) I have been emailing, as it's easier for me (I hate talking on the phone ), so maybe I'm not wording it properly. I will try again
Try Henmans or Borneos in the city centre - I can vouch for both of them being super lovely places and they will be gentle with you on the phone
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Thank you to you both!!!!! This is so stressful..