Finding the right path.

Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

admash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding the right path.

Hi guys. I'm new around these parts, so hello, and a happy new year!

I work for a large retailer, who has stores around the world, recently a co-worker transferred to a Canadian store, going via the IEC route.

My circumstances are slightly different, in that I'm married, and would possibly consider staying longer than 12 months. So I just need abit more info in terms of the best way to go about applying for the visa (for myself and my wife).

I've read a few threads and Wiki's, but there are so many out there that I think I'm confusing myself and going around in circles.

We're in a good position in that we have no mortgage tying us down, we currently rent, and we have money in saving accounts.

With work, I simply have to make all the arrangements for visa's myself then I would be able to apply for a transfer to any Canadian store, and my wife currently works in Hospitality so would look for work once we're out there.

Thanks for any help and advice that's given, and sorry if this is a common thread that's brought up!

Ad.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding the right path.

Hi Ad, and welcome to the forum.

What exactly do you and your wife do, and which province do you wish to move to?

I don't know if you've read it yet, but this Wiki page will give you an overview of all of the options for a visa, do you think any of them would apply to you?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi Ad, and welcome to the forum.

What exactly do you and your wife do, and which province do you wish to move to?

I don't know if you've read it yet, but this Wiki page will give you an overview of all of the options for a visa, do you think any of them would apply to you?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration
I work in retail for a large electronics retailer, and the wife works as an Events Manager for a large bar/club.

Looking at that Wiki, neither of our trades appear on the list. So I'm not sure if we would get in on that alone? We could apply for the IEC, but I think I'm right in saying that the IEC would only allow for 12 months work?

I'm not sure I would be able to apply with a job offer, as my work would want me to have the Visa pre-arranged before allowing a transfer.

We both have degree's, and my wife has a masters.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp
May help
Good luck
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admash
Looking at that Wiki, neither of our trades appear on the list. So I'm not sure if we would get in on that alone?
It doesn't sound as though you would be able to apply as a Skilled Worker, no. And I don't think either of those would be eligible for an intra-company transfer TWP either (although that would require your work to sort the visa out anyway, which it sounds as if they won't do).

We could apply for the IEC, but I think I'm right in saying that the IEC would only allow for 12 months work?
Yes, it does, although you can apply for a second one, so in reality it would give you two years. How old are you both?

From what you've said, the IEC may be your only option unless you can get a job offer approved by HRSDC (it doesn't have to be from your current employer!).

But it will depend on where you want to go - which province?
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It doesn't sound as though you would be able to apply as a Skilled Worker, no. And I don't think either of those would be eligible for an intra-company transfer TWP either (although that would require your work to sort the visa out anyway, which it sounds as if they won't do).

Yes, it does, although you can apply for a second one, so in reality it would give you two years. How old are you both?

From what you've said, the IEC may be your only option unless you can get a job offer approved by HRSDC (it doesn't have to be from your current employer!).

But it will depend on where you want to go - which province?

I'm 27, my wife is 26. We were looking towards Vancouver as there are positions available for me to transfer to there.

Might have to get a move on and apply for the IEC, as you say, thats looking likely to be the only realistic path!
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm 27, my wife is 26. We were looking towards Vancouver as there are positions available for me to transfer to there.

Might have to get a move on and apply for the IEC, as you say, thats looking likely to be the only realistic path!
IEC is looking like your best bet at the moment, but do bear in mind that if you do want to stay longer term your employer will have to get either a LMO or AEO (details in the Wiki article I mentioned above) for you - if they're not inclined to do visa related paperwork it's maybe something you'll need to start working on fairly early!

Good luck.