Finding employment in advance

Old Jun 18th 2004, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

sandyback is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding employment in advance

Having searched extensively through the Canadian job sites and applied for at least 10 jobs online, I have not received one reply. This is understandable but frustrating, as, like everyone else, we don't want to arrive in Canada with no work (assuming our application is successful of course!)
So does anyone knew of a reputable recruitment agency in the Calgary area?

All replies/ideas appreciated,

Joy.
Old Jun 20th 2004, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

WizDruid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finding employment in advance

Originally posted by sandyback
Having searched extensively through the Canadian job sites and applied for at least 10 jobs online, I have not received one reply. This is understandable but frustrating, as, like everyone else, we don't want to arrive in Canada with no work (assuming our application is successful of course!)
So does anyone knew of a reputable recruitment agency in the Calgary area?

All replies/ideas appreciated,

Joy.
1. No employer will consider you never mind employing you, if you do not have the authority to work in Canada beforehand. (ie. work permit already in hand or landed status in Canada).

2. Having previously worked for an agency, I can assure you that no matter how well qualified you are, if you are not available immediately or are not available to be pre-interviewed by the agency, then you probably are wasting your time, attempting even to register.

3. As a practicing job placement counsellor, I can assure you that 10 job applications does not constitute a thorough job hunting process. Goverment Agencies require you to apply for at least 10 advertised jobs per day !!!

Indeed my personal recommendation is that the applicant searches for jobs with organisations in the geographical area nd career area of their choice who are indeed not advertising. As you may or may not know but some 70% of all positions are filled from a very specualtive but very detailed researched approach.

4. The truth is that until you land, the reality is you are unlikely to secure any form of employment, unless of course, you have secured a work permit, or indeed applied from whitin a company with offices from within the current country of residence.

The problems associated with securing employment in Canadfa are tremendous. The emplpoyers need to extensively justify the fact that the immigrant applicant is by far better qualified, better skilled and has more experience than any Canadian Citizen.

If you do know anyone in Canada, who would be willing to employ you or even go through the 'grief' of justifiying your credentials then indeed you will likely to be considered as exceptionally 'lucky' and with a running start amongst many others.

I am sorry if you are now thinking I am so 'negative'; I can most definately assure you that the outlook is extremely positive nevertheless. These are just a few 'hurdles' that you will need to be aware of and endeavour to overcome through exacting research, disicipline and positive thinking.

If you need to discuss your stratregy any further, you can email me directly on [email protected].

Either way, I am sure you have the stamina to breakthrough these few barriers and wish you the best look in your job search and immigration to Canada.

Wiz
Old Jun 20th 2004, 7:18 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finding employment in advance

I must disagree with your statement made in paragraph # 1 of your comment.

You are dead wrong here as in order to apply for work permit in the first place applicant must already have a solid job offer validated by HRDC. Thus your statement is wrong as finding a validated job offer is the first thing required to do before applying for work permit.

And in last several years over 110,000 foreign workers per year got work permits after securing proper job offers. So, they were able to find employment regardless your claim.

Check the law and check statistics please.

Originally posted by WizDruid
1. No employer will consider you never mind employing you, if you do not have the authority to work in Canada beforehand. (ie. work permit already in hand or landed status in Canada).

2. Having previously worked for an agency, I can assure you that no matter how well qualified you are, if you are not available immediately or are not available to be pre-interviewed by the agency, then you probably are wasting your time, attempting even to register.

3. As a practicing job placement counsellor, I can assure you that 10 job applications does not constitute a thorough job hunting process. Goverment Agencies require you to apply for at least 10 advertised jobs per day !!!

Indeed my personal recommendation is that the applicant searches for jobs with organisations in the geographical area nd career area of their choice who are indeed not advertising. As you may or may not know but some 70% of all positions are filled from a very specualtive but very detailed researched approach.

4. The truth is that until you land, the reality is you are unlikely to secure any form of employment, unless of course, you have secured a work permit, or indeed applied from whitin a company with offices from within the current country of residence.

The problems associated with securing employment in Canadfa are tremendous. The emplpoyers need to extensively justify the fact that the immigrant applicant is by far better qualified, better skilled and has more experience than any Canadian Citizen.

If you do know anyone in Canada, who would be willing to employ you or even go through the 'grief' of justifiying your credentials then indeed you will likely to be considered as exceptionally 'lucky' and with a running start amongst many others.

I am sorry if you are now thinking I am so 'negative'; I can most definately assure you that the outlook is extremely positive nevertheless. These are just a few 'hurdles' that you will need to be aware of and endeavour to overcome through exacting research, disicipline and positive thinking.

If you need to discuss your stratregy any further, you can email me directly on [email protected].

Either way, I am sure you have the stamina to breakthrough these few barriers and wish you the best look in your job search and immigration to Canada.

Wiz