finanical help !!

Old Dec 4th 2009, 9:30 am
Just Joined

nahhal2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default finanical help !!

I am a permanent resident. A recently arrived in Canada. I am still looking for employment. I would like to inquire about financial help or social assistance programs that could help me until i find employment and whether this affects my application for citizenship later. I'm married and i have no children.

My regards.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 9:52 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: finanical help !!

I believe the only financial help available to you is welfare from your municipality. Applying for/receiving such will have no effect on your citizenship.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I believe the only financial help available to you is welfare from your municipality. Applying for/receiving such will have no effect on your citizenship.
thanks so much Auld for your reply...do u have any idea about how much roughly do they usually give for married couple from welfare ?
Old Dec 4th 2009, 10:43 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by nahhal2007
thanks so much Auld for your reply...do u have any idea about how much roughly do they usually give for married couple from welfare ?
What province? Ontario for a couple is about $989 per month, which includes shelter allowance. Mind, though you will be questioned about the settlement funds you claimed on "landing"
Old Dec 4th 2009, 11:17 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Just because you cannot find a job does not mean you'll qualify.

This is for Ontario.
http://www.cleo.on.ca/english/pub/on...t/need-wel.pdf

Alberta calculator http://www.gov.ab.ca/servicealberta/..._estimator.asp

Last edited by Aviator; Dec 4th 2009 at 11:22 am.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Just because you cannot find a job does not mean you'll qualify.

This is for Ontario.
http://www.cleo.on.ca/english/pub/on...t/need-wel.pdf

Alberta calculator http://www.gov.ab.ca/servicealberta/..._estimator.asp
thanks soooo much PMM and the Aviator
Old Dec 4th 2009, 2:29 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

When did you land? You only got your PR visa 8th October. I'd be surprised to hear you can just land and start getting handouts from the government straight away .... you are supposed to come with "settlement funds" that are supposed to last you some period at least while you get established. .... maybe I'm missing something?

Just checked the CIC website, which states:

"Skilled workers and professionals: Who can apply—Proof of funds
The Government of Canada does not provide financial support to new skilled worker immigrants.

You must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependants after you arrive in Canada. You cannot borrow this money from another person. You must be able to use this money to support the costs of living for your family."
Old Dec 4th 2009, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
When did you land? You only got your PR visa 8th October. I'd be surprised to hear you can just land and start getting handouts from the government straight away .... you are supposed to come with "settlement funds" that are supposed to last you some period at least while you get established. .... maybe I'm missing something?

Just checked the CIC website, which states:

"Skilled workers and professionals: Who can apply—Proof of funds
The Government of Canada does not provide financial support to new skilled worker immigrants.

You must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependants after you arrive in Canada. You cannot borrow this money from another person. You must be able to use this money to support the costs of living for your family."
thanks alberta 4 your reply...i landed 2 months ago and still i have money can cover my expenses for at least 3 months more, i just want to know the options which are available in such a case that i don't find job here in canada.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I thought I'd read somewhere that the settlement funds were supposed to last you for the first 6 months as you could not claim any assistance for the first 6 months
Hope this helps
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by nahhal2007
thanks alberta 4 your reply...i landed 2 months ago and still i have money can cover my expenses for at least 3 months more, i just want to know the options which are available in such a case that i don't find job here in canada.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

Mermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
I thought I'd read somewhere that the settlement funds were supposed to last you for the first 6 months as you could not claim any assistance for the first 6 months
Hope this helps
lol
Stef
well... she is here since 2, has money for at least another 3 months... that's 5 and a bit... so let's not be too critical on this.

I remember quite well how my 20k starting capital was gone by the end of the first year. As a single mind you!

Most people (and I don't exclude myself) underestimate how much it costs to pay first and last rent, furniture, bedding, dishes, pots and pans, boots that are Canadian-winter proof....

It took me quite a while to find out about walmart, canadian tire and other low cost stores.

Mark's Work Wearhouse is still my favourite when it comes to cozy and warm sweaters, boots and double lined jeans!

I hope very much that nahhal and her husband find employment soon. It's not fun to be unemployed over christmas! It never is...

Nahhal: I started working through a temp agency and was very lucky to get a long term job right at the beginning. It was a large firm who offered me a contract later on. I am crossing fingers for you that you have the same luck as I had! All the best!!!

Last edited by Mermaid3011; Dec 5th 2009 at 4:40 am. Reason: grammmmmmmar...
Old Dec 5th 2009, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I was not intending to be critical, just passing on what I had read, so I am sooooo sorry if you thought I was.
I do realise that money runs out very quickly......and with the global economy being what it is, we have certainly seen our comfort zone seriously depleted especially with the $ rate being low.
I do also wish Nahhal all the very best
Stef

Originally Posted by Mermaid3011
well... she is here since 2, has money for at least another 3 months... that's 5 and a bit... so let's not be too critical on this.

I remember quite well how my 20k starting capital was gone by the end of the first year. As a single mind you!

Most people (and I don't exclude myself) underestimate how much it costs to pay first and last rent, furniture, bedding, dishes, pots and pans, boots that are Canadian-winter proof....

It took me quite a while to find out about walmart, canadian tire and other low cost stores.

Mark's Work Wearhouse is still my favourite when it comes to cozy and warm sweaters, boots and double lined jeans!

I hope very much that nahhal and her husband find employment soon. It's not fun to be unemployed over christmas! It never is...

Nahhal: I started working through a temp agency and was very lucky to get a long term job right at the beginning. It was a large firm who offered me a contract later on. I am crossing fingers for you that you have the same luck as I had! All the best!!!
Old Dec 5th 2009, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mermaid3011

thanks so much Mermaid 3011 for your reply and for your wishes...i totally agree with what you said, i spent during only my first 2 months in canada around 6000 $.
Actually i'm a doctor but i don't mind to work in anything bcz as u said it's not funny to be unemployed and just sitting at home.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
I was not intending to be critical, just passing on what I had read, so I am sooooo sorry if you thought I was.
I do realise that money runs out very quickly......and with the global economy being what it is, we have certainly seen our comfort zone seriously depleted especially with the $ rate being low.
I do also wish Nahhal all the very best
Stef
thanks alot stef for your wishes