Financial Support

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Tanty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Financial Support

Hi

Just been looking through the Spousal Sponsored Application documents and I have a couple of questions.

1) Is it possible to get my (soon to be) wifes mother to sponsor me financially if my wife is unable to meet their requirements? (She may be on social benefits, we are looking into it at the moment).

2) Regardless of the above, does a 'Son-in-law' count as family class in regards to sponsoring?

We're just trying to come up with anther solution if it turns out that having subsidised rent does class as social benefit. I know once I get a PRV I will find work, I just need someone on paper to say they will support me financially. I have several offers from members of my soon to be family.

Thanks
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:04 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Financial Support

1. Nope

2. Nope

Only your spouse can sponsor you, not any other member of her family. Nobody can even co-sign with her. If she is collecting social assistance then she cannot sponsor anyone. Sorry.

Originally posted by Tanty
Hi

Just been looking through the Spousal Sponsored Application documents and I have a couple of questions.

1) Is it possible to get my (soon to be) wifes mother to sponsor me financially if my wife is unable to meet their requirements? (She may be on social benefits, we are looking into it at the moment).

2) Regardless of the above, does a 'Son-in-law' count as family class in regards to sponsoring?

We're just trying to come up with anther solution if it turns out that having subsidised rent does class as social benefit. I know once I get a PRV I will find work, I just need someone on paper to say they will support me financially. I have several offers from members of my soon to be family.

Thanks
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

I understand the needs for all these rules... but good lord... all I wanna do is settle down with the girl I marry.

Based on what you may know about my situation thus far Andrew, is there any particular path you would recommend I follow?

Many thanks for your answers so far even though they have been not quite to my liking :P
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 2:38 pm

She must be off any social assistance and demonstrate that she is able to support herself and her spouse first. This is the only path to be eligible to sponsor you.

On the other hand you may try to find out if you can qualify in other class on your own, without sponsorship.

I understand the needs for all these rules... but good lord... all I wanna do is settle down with the girl I marry.

Based on what you may know about my situation thus far Andrew, is there any particular path you would recommend I follow?

Many thanks for your answers so far even though they have been not quite to my liking :P
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

vajra is an unknown quantity at this point

Spousal sponsorship doesn't require partners to meet minumum income requirement.

If she is not in social assistance, then she can sponsor you.

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 2:58 pm

Wrong - fact that meeting minimum income requirement is waived when sponsoring spouse doesn't mean that sponsor doesn't need to demonstrate financial ability to support family and meet undertaking obligations. Check the law please, read Regs and Manual.

Originally posted by vajra
Spousal sponsorship doesn't require partners to meet minumum income requirement.

If she is not in social assistance, then she can sponsor you.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

I think what I need is someone who can take a look at the whole picture and give me a run down of the ways I can get into Canada, start working and be with my girlfriend/wife etc.

Is there anyone out there who can do this you could recommend? I assume it'd be costly on my side, but we need this sorting.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 4:46 pm

You may contact me directly for free evaluation.

I think what I need is someone who can take a look at the whole picture and give me a run down of the ways I can get into Canada, start working and be with my girlfriend/wife etc.

Is there anyone out there who can do this you could recommend? I assume it'd be costly on my side, but we need this sorting.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Andrew Miller
You may contact me directly for free evaluation.
Mail sent.

Many thanks.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

vajra is an unknown quantity at this point

You can read everything about sponsorship here,
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/sponsor/index.html
It will take a while to read if you are new to Canadian immigration, but hey it's there.