Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Finally got it but a question on partner's application

Wikiposts

Finally got it but a question on partner's application

Old Jan 9th 2006, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Silam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finally got it but a question on partner's application

Hi

I have just received my visa in the skilled worker category which is great news. However when I submitted my application 2 years ago I was single and am now engaged. Is there anyway that we can enter a fast track application for my partner, is it possible for me to be a sponser of sorts?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Finally got it but a question on partner's application

You need to land before your circumstances change ie you get married. Any changes in circumstances make your visa invalid.

Unless I am much mistaken, to sponsor you have to be a landed PR and have been in Canada for a year. You also have to prove your earnings in that year to show that you can support the sponsored person.

I'm not sure how sponsoring a fiancee varies from sponsoring another family member. Is there a time limit in which you have to get married? One of the experts may be able to help you out on this?

If your fiancee applied on her own under skilled worker, they are quoting 39 months for applications to the CHC in London.

Originally Posted by Silam
Hi

I have just received my visa in the skilled worker category which is great news. However when I submitted my application 2 years ago I was single and am now engaged. Is there anyway that we can enter a fast track application for my partner, is it possible for me to be a sponser of sorts?

Thanks.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:27 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Colsgirl
You need to land before your circumstances change ie you get married. Any changes in circumstances make your visa invalid.

Unless I am much mistaken, to sponsor you have to be a landed PR and have been in Canada for a year. You also have to prove your earnings in that year to show that you can support the sponsored person.

I'm not sure how sponsoring a fiancee varies from sponsoring another family member. Is there a time limit in which you have to get married? One of the experts may be able to help you out on this?

If your fiancee applied on her own under skilled worker, they are quoting 39 months for applications to the CHC in London.
1. You don't have to be a PR for a year to sponsor.
2. Spousal applications sponsor have to include their financial details, but do not have to meet the low income cut off figure.
3. There are no sponsorship of fiancees, I am assuming that OP was not in a common/law relationship, ie co-habiting together for a year. If they were his visa is now invalid. So the choice is s/he applying as skilled worker, marriage, living together for a year, BUNAc working visa so they can be together for a year.

PMM
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Silam is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the responses.

My current situation is that my passport is currently with the embassy in London following passport request. My g/f has been living with me for just over a year. Provided that this does not make my visa application void the most apparent optiosn for me are;

- Should I notify the London office that I would like to alter my application (if this is possible)
- Land in Canada and immediately start common-law partner sponsership (is is possible to start as financials my earning in UK for the previous year?)
- Re-apply completely?

Any advice?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. You don't have to be a PR for a year to sponsor.
2. Spousal applications sponsor have to include their financial details, but do not have to meet the low income cut off figure.
3. There are no sponsorship of fiancees, I am assuming that OP was not in a common/law relationship, ie co-habiting together for a year. If they were his visa is now invalid. So the choice is s/he applying as skilled worker, marriage, living together for a year, BUNAc working visa so they can be together for a year.

PMM
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

vietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the rough

If I understand currently, you would not be able to sponsor your common-law partner as soon as you arrive in Canada because you will need to prove you've been in a common-law relationship for over a year. You said that you have been in a relationship for over a year, but if you were to put this on her application your visa would then become invalid because you should have put that on your SW application. As soon as it became a common-law relationship you should have added her to your application, but it's to late for that now. It would have added a little time to your application, but you then could have gone together. Can she come as a visitor? Are you ready for marriage? I wish you the all best, and I hope you will get some expert advise on this one.

Thank you for the responses.

My current situation is that my passport is currently with the embassy in London following passport request. My g/f has been living with me for just over a year. Provided that this does not make my visa application void the most apparent optiosn for me are;

- Should I notify the London office that I would like to alter my application (if this is possible)
- Land in Canada and immediately start common-law partner sponsership (is is possible to start as financials my earning in UK for the previous year?)
- Re-apply completely?

Any advice?

Thanks.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

If you don’t want to marry, i would get your partner to apply for the BUNAc working visa http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/, as long as your partner is under 35 and a british/irish citzen, she can apply for a working holiday visa, this visa is open so your partner can work in just about an job in canada for up to 1 year, once you've lived together one year in canada you can sponser her as a common law partner!

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Hi

Thanks.