Wikiposts

Filling in employment gap

Old May 22nd 2009, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

harris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Filling in employment gap

Made redundant from a company after seven years - got a good reference. Then worked for six months with another before leaving for a better and more permanent one. How to fill the six months gap if the (6 months) company are not willing to come up with a good reference - as they were annoyed at my leaving after only six months.

Will P60s do for this period or will I need something else, such as a statutory declaration.

Many thanks for any advice.
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:53 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filling in employment gap

Originally Posted by harris
Made redundant from a company after seven years - got a good reference. Then worked for six months with another before leaving for a better and more permanent one. How to fill the six months gap if the (6 months) company are not willing to come up with a good reference - as they were annoyed at my leaving after only six months.

Will P60s do for this period or will I need something else, such as a statutory declaration.

Many thanks for any advice.
You don't need a reference from them. Just record the period of employment on the immigration forms....I am presuming that is what you are referring to.
Old May 22nd 2009, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Yes, that would be it. Do I need to include P60s?
Old May 22nd 2009, 8:29 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harris
Yes, that would be it. Do I need to include P60s?
I had a similar situation. But as my other work experience was enough for the points needed I just told them that the job was not NOC 0,A or B so did not have to provide anything.

I did not provide any P60's or P45's. Just payslips, any contracts I had and any referral letters. Two employers were not helpful at all and I just said that in my cover letter. It has not been an issue and I am now through to the medicals stage.
Old May 23rd 2009, 12:13 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

By the looks of the forms, CIC is very fussy about career history and gaps etc and they even ask applicants to mention time spent behind bars.

I had about 5 months gap in my career in 2007. That was between when I finished a placement and was looking for a permanent position. Although I was temping in the meanwhile (3 job agencies in a short period of 5 months) but couldn't be asked to provide each and every detail to CIC. So I simply put it down as 'searching and applying for graduate jobs'. Which in a way was true because eventually I got one after 5 months which is luckily on the holy 38 list.

From my experience with immigration officials so far (although I'm not THAT old) they like to see things as less complicated as possible. The moment you start going into too much details with them, you invite them to make your life miserable by asking for evidences, references, notorisations and so on.
Old May 23rd 2009, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Filling in employment gap

Many thanks for the help. It is often the small issues that confuse you. So thanks again.