Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Filing for both Quebec and Federal

Filing for both Quebec and Federal

Old Jul 18th 2007, 3:12 am
Just Joined

imm123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Filing for both Quebec and Federal

Is it possible that someone files immigration to both Quebec and Federal? The benefit is whichever moves faster will benefit the applicant but I'm not sure if there is any legal issue with that (for example, since filing for Quebec means that you intend to settle in Quebec, so it might mean that you cannot file to Federal).
Can any one help clarify this?
Old Jul 18th 2007, 3:23 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Filing for both Quebec and Federal

Quebec issues only Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ), not a PR visa as such is an exclusive domain of federal government. Once you get CSQ you must apply for PR visa in Quebec Nominee class through proper visa post. So, it doesn't make sense at all to apply for PR under federal program and CSQ at the same time. Why waste money? If you don't want to live in Quebec then don't apply for CSQ. If you want faster process then get yourself a job in Canada that will qualify as Arranged Employment.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 3:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Quebec issues only Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ), not a PR visa as such is an exclusive domain of federal government. Once you get CSQ you must apply for PR visa in Quebec Nominee class through proper visa post. So, it doesn't make sense at all to apply for PR under federal program and CSQ at the same time. Why waste money? If you don't want to live in Quebec then don't apply for CSQ. If you want faster process then get yourself a job in Canada that will qualify as Arranged Employment.
The reason that applying to both Federal PR and CSQ makes sense is that they have different selection criteria and processing time lines. So, if one goes faster and ends in a result, I think I should be able to drop the other one. But I'm not sure if legally it's acceptable to apply to both. Any thoughts?
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:56 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Again - if you want to live permanently in Quebec then take CSQ route, if not then forget about it. And please stop using Quebec as "faster" or "easier" way to get to Canada - there are thousands who want to live in Quebec and they have to wait longer and longer now, just because too many started abusing CSQ route without any intention to live in Quebec.

And I will repeat again - there is no reason to apply for both at the same time as federal process without arranged employment will not get faster than Quebec route for the time being. And if you can get job offer to use as arranged employment under federal program then forget Quebec as federal case with AE will be processed faster than CSQ+PR combined.

And finally - if you cannot get a job in Canada then maybe you should reconsider your intention of applying in the first place?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Again - if you want to live permanently in Quebec then take CSQ route, if not then forget about it. And please stop using Quebec as "faster" or "easier" way to get to Canada - there are thousands who want to live in Quebec and they have to wait longer and longer now, just because too many started abusing CSQ route without any intention to live in Quebec.

And I will repeat again - there is no reason to apply for both at the same time as federal process without arranged employment will not get faster than Quebec route for the time being. And if you can get job offer to use as arranged employment under federal program then forget Quebec as federal case with AE will be processed faster than CSQ+PR combined.

And finally - if you cannot get a job in Canada then maybe you should reconsider your intention of applying in the first place?
Your answer makes sense. I didn't mean to abuse Quebec route. In fact my sister lives in Montreal and my wife is fluent in French. I was just thinking if the Federal route happens faster, we can use the Federal route and settle in Quebec. But from you answer, it seems as if we'd be better off applying for CSQ.
Thanks for your response.