Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Fewer than 1095 days for citizenship?

Wikiposts

Fewer than 1095 days for citizenship?

Old Jan 12th 2006, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough
Default Fewer than 1095 days for citizenship?

I have now checked the CIC calculator to see when we would be eligible for applying for citizenship and theoretically it is approx. a year from now. Theoretically, cause we travel a lot for conferences and holidays and I guess we would have to add around 5-6 months to the date to account for the days physically outside Canada.

However, when you fill the dates in the calculator, it says that the basic requirement is fulfilled (1095) and the significance of the missing days can only be established by the citizenship judge. So the question is - how tough are judges on stuff like that? We were never gone more than 2 weeks/time and it's always been in business or just holidays. We have severed all economic and residence ties with Poland/Sweden, respectively. Will the judge refuse the application?
Old Jan 12th 2006, 1:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fewer than 1095 days for citizenship?

Originally Posted by bartM
I have now checked the CIC calculator to see when we would be eligible for applying for citizenship and theoretically it is approx. a year from now. Theoretically, cause we travel a lot for conferences and holidays and I guess we would have to add around 5-6 months to the date to account for the days physically outside Canada.

However, when you fill the dates in the calculator, it says that the basic requirement is fulfilled (1095) and the significance of the missing days can only be established by the citizenship judge. So the question is - how tough are judges on stuff like that? We were never gone more than 2 weeks/time and it's always been in business or just holidays. We have severed all economic and residence ties with Poland/Sweden, respectively. Will the judge refuse the application?
It's not just a question of whether your application may be refused - it's also a question of the additional processing time that's going to be involved. Possibly months.

Jeremy
Old Jan 12th 2006, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks JAJ. So if we wait to account for the missing days and give them exactly 1095 the delays will be shorter? The case ends up with the judge anyway right? What's your advice?

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's not just a question of whether your application may be refused - it's also a question of the additional processing time that's going to be involved. Possibly months.

Jeremy
Old Jan 12th 2006, 3:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bartM
Thanks JAJ. So if we wait to account for the missing days and give them exactly 1095 the delays will be shorter? The case ends up with the judge anyway right? What's your advice?

If you need professional advice hire an immigration lawyer.

Others may be able to tell you more, but I didn't think that straightforward applications for Canadian citizenship (ie with the 1095 days plus the other requirements) required a citizenship judge interview.

Jeremy
Old Jan 12th 2006, 5:11 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Correct - less than 1,095 days accumulated results in interview with judge, thus adding 3 to 12 months to the process depending from location. No interview if all days are there and no other matters (like immigration, criminal or security) to be clarified with judge.

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you need professional advice hire an immigration lawyer.

Others may be able to tell you more, but I didn't think that straightforward applications for Canadian citizenship (ie with the 1095 days plus the other requirements) required a citizenship judge interview.

Jeremy
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help. I guess we just have to suck it up and wait a couple of months more.

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Correct - less than 1,095 days accumulated results in interview with judge, thus adding 3 to 12 months to the process depending from location. No interview if all days are there and no other matters (like immigration, criminal or security) to be clarified with judge.