few questions regarding visas etc

Old Jul 6th 2008, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

kalaar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default few questions regarding visas etc

Hi,

Bit of background as it may help any answers.

I'm 33 and currently working as CAD manager for a firm that produces architectural models out in Dubai, been here about 2 years. Before that I was a Design and Innovations Engineer for a company called Morphy Richards, worked there for 9 years after leaving university. Left university with a Diploma of HE in Marine Studies (yes, a rather eclectic and unrelated mix of education and work experience ).

My fiance (been together over 5 years so no problems with her being classed as common-law) is 27 and currently works for the same company I do, making the architectural models that I draw. She also worked for 18months at Morphy Richards (where we met) and has a BSc in Industrial Design.

We are both wanting to move to Calgary for various reasons but a good mix of lifestyle (we both ski, I kayak, bike etc) and work opportunity were top of the list, the fact that I have friends from university already working there sealed the deal.

We both sent off resumes and a company in Calgary offered both of us a job as they have been advertising for ages with no success and we seem to be exactly what they need. So first step done relatively easily. We sent the company a whole bunch of links found either via Google or the excellent wiki on this site and they are currently looking into applying for an LMO(s). In the same email we also pointed out that professional advise on their part would probably ease the app process and probably speed things up.

Now onto the questions

Firstly would it be easier/faster for the company to apply for a single LMO for one of us and then the other come over on a spousal open work permit? (we believe our job falls under NOC code 2251 which is on the jobs under pressure list). The company isn't very large so from my point of view (maybe wrong) if they can get two of us via 1 application and so save cash/hassle then going to effort of 2 LMO apps isn't necessary?

As I mentioned above we're both currently living and working in Dubai, however at the start of August we are moving back to the UK (the potential employer knows this) so it would seem we need police reports for both the UAE and the UK. Would this change of abode pose any other problems? From the timing of others LMO applications we will be back in the UK long before it comes through so we will be doing our TWP apps from the UK.

Thanks in advance for any help

Rob
Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:58 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: few questions regarding visas etc

One LMO for standard work permit is good enough as long as you can conclusively prove being common-law partners. The other partner will get open work permit. It won't save the fees as both work permits apps require CAD 150.00 each.

Get UAE police certificates before leaving for UK.

Processing of LMO's in Alberta is speeding up and some are granted in 2 to 3 months, instead of 5 to 6 months in not so distant past.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks I realize we will both pay a visa fee, I was thinking more from the companies point of view. Anything that sweetens the deal sort of thing
Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:22 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by kalaar
Thanks I realize we will both pay a visa fee, I was thinking more from the companies point of view. Anything that sweetens the deal sort of thing
Service Canada does not charge for LMOs
Old Jul 7th 2008, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
One LMO for standard work permit is good enough as long as you can conclusively prove being common-law partners. The other partner will get open work permit.
Thanks for the replies. In regards to the above we should be OK with shared bank statements? I was reading the CIC declaration of common law form and that's the only one that applies to us. We have had shared accounts for 3+ years now.