A few Questions about FSW

Old Sep 27th 2010, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Mr.Joseph is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile A few Questions about FSW

Hi guys

Good afternoon, I'm new to this forum, now I have a few questions about the FSW.
First let me simply introduce myself, I was a student at Seneca college Visual Effect for TV and Film which is an 8 months program, I graduated on September 2009, and started my first job on November 2009, and kept working until February 10th, after 20days break on March 2010, I started my current work and my contract is due to January 2011, so I'm thinking about applying FSW for PR in this upcoming December, I already have the LMO and now I am just waiting for Work Permit.
So my question 1 is "If I have a LMO, then I get a one year WP, can I get the 10 points of Arranged Employment for FSW ?",
question 2 is "What if my company will not expend my contract, will my applaction be refused ? (most of visual effect jobs are based on Project, so it's always very short, like 3 months or 6 months which is really bad for international student to keep working in this industry, I am lucky to get job at my current company which is the biggest visual effects company in Toronto, and they helped me to get the LMO, but I'm not sure if I can get a expendison after this contract. )
question 3 is "Can I go back home (out of Canada) during the FWS processing ?"
question 4 is "I heard most FSW take longer then 1 year, if my work permit is expired at that time, what shall I do?"

cheers! any help will be most welcome!

Joseph
Old Sep 27th 2010, 7:11 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few Questions about FSW

Originally Posted by Mr.Joseph
Hi guys

Good afternoon, I'm new to this forum, now I have a few questions about the FSW.
First let me simply introduce myself, I was a student at Seneca college Visual Effect for TV and Film which is an 8 months program, I graduated on September 2009, and started my first job on November 2009, and kept working until February 10th, after 20days break on March 2010, I started my current work and my contract is due to January 2011, so I'm thinking about applying FSW for PR in this upcoming December, I already have the LMO and now I am just waiting for Work Permit.
So my question 1 is "If I have a LMO, then I get a one year WP, can I get the 10 points of Arranged Employment for FSW ?",
question 2 is "What if my company will not expend my contract, will my applaction be refused ? (most of visual effect jobs are based on Project, so it's always very short, like 3 months or 6 months which is really bad for international student to keep working in this industry, I am lucky to get job at my current company which is the biggest visual effects company in Toronto, and they helped me to get the LMO, but I'm not sure if I can get a expendison after this contract. )
question 3 is "Can I go back home (out of Canada) during the FWS processing ?"
question 4 is "I heard most FSW take longer then 1 year, if my work permit is expired at that time, what shall I do?"

cheers! any help will be most welcome!

Joseph
My understanding (as someone whose OH is in Canada working on a TWP aftera positive LMO and now having applied as FSW Cat2) is that the FSW 2 requires the job offer to be "indeterminate", that is essentially permanent, but pending the granting of PR. We had to provide a letter from OH's employers to include in the PR application confirming this.
I have no idea, I am afraid, what anyone can do if their job is short contracts, but I don't think FSW Cat 2 will accept that. Sorry. Maybe someone else here can advise you further.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Question 1 is "If I have a LMO, then I get a one year WP, can I get the 10 points of Arranged Employment for FSW ?",
Partially. With Work Permit in hand it certainly makes things easier, however yes, as helcat states the employer will have to provide a job offer letter for your stating that they will hire you upon you receiving PR with the salary and other information. Even if it's not really a permanent job, as long as they don't mention this on the letter, I don't see any foreseeable problems.

Question 2 is "What if my company will not expend my contract, will my applaction be refused ?
A work permit essentially acts like HRSDC approval for that particular employer. It has to be valid for that same employer at the start of your application and by the end of it upon landing. CIC will want to see your work permit when you land to get PR. So if your company fires you halfway through the PR process, you will have to find another employer, get another LMO+TWP and let CIC know this information. If it's the same NOC code there are usually no problems with this.

Question 3 is "Can I go back home (out of Canada) during the FWS processing ?"
Yes, but you must have a visa, you won't be let in the country just because you're a processing immigrant. It is unwise to be out of Canada for too long, because they may think you have abandoned your application, you will also not be able to check your mail and miss important correspondence like medical and document requests.

Your application is nullified if you allow your work permit to expire. See my answer for question 2. FSW applications can take over a year but sometimes it's only 6-8months, especially as they are now trying to speed up the system.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by helcat12
My understanding (as someone whose OH is in Canada working on a TWP aftera positive LMO and now having applied as FSW Cat2) is that the FSW 2 requires the job offer to be "indeterminate", that is essentially permanent, but pending the granting of PR. We had to provide a letter from OH's employers to include in the PR application confirming this.
I have no idea, I am afraid, what anyone can do if their job is short contracts, but I don't think FSW Cat 2 will accept that. Sorry. Maybe someone else here can advise you further.
thank you helcat.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Partially. With Work Permit in hand it certainly makes things easier, however yes, as helcat states the employer will have to provide a job offer letter for your stating that they will hire you upon you receiving PR with the salary and other information. Even if it's not really a permanent job, as long as they don't mention this on the letter, I don't see any foreseeable problems.
thank you for all your kind anwsers, do you mean the employer need to apply the AEO for me? is that a "must have" stuff in my appliacation?
Also FSW needs 1 year full-time work experience, I asked an agent he said "that the essential requirement for FSW is one full year and continuous employer", but from what I remember the work experience doesn't need to be under a same employer, is he right? I was thinking about to hire him to help me to apply the FSW, but if he is wrong at this point, I may prefer to DIY it.

anyways, thanks again.

Joseph
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr.Joseph
thank you for all your kind anwsers, do you mean the employer need to apply the AEO for me? is that a "must have" stuff in my appliacation?
No, thats what I meant with my answer to your second question. A work permit is the same as an AEO... sort of, just with the added restriction that it to be valid when you get your PR visa.

Also FSW needs 1 year full-time work experience, I asked an agent he said "that the essential requirement for FSW is one full year and continuous employer"
Erm, well yes you do need 1 year at least usually to meet the number of points required, but this can be a skilled profession outside of Canada and doesn't have to be the same as the job you're applying for now. I had never worked in a skilled professional until I moved here, so I stayed here working for a year before applying for PR. However, if I had done a year of skilled work in the UK first, I could've applied straight away, and supplied a reference and proof of employment.

, but from what I remember the work experience doesn't need to be under a same employer, is he right?
I believe that it has to be under the same employer in order to count and show you can hold down a full time position. I remember someone on the forums here having problems with this when they had switched employers 6months in and in essence that 6 months didn't count. I might not be right about that though.

I was thinking about to hire him to help me to apply the FSW, but if he is wrong at this point, I may prefer to DIY it.
It's very straightforward to fill out the forms yourself it really is. And you will still have to gather all the documents yourself to give to the agents anyway, so it doesn't really save any effort.