Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Feeling defeated - need help with parents immigration!

Feeling defeated - need help with parents immigration!

Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:38 am
Just Joined

lauren1823 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Feeling defeated - need help with parents immigration!

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping someone will be able to give me some advice and light at the end of the tunnel. I am from the UK, and have been living in Ontario for 5.5 years. I am now married and 3 months pregnant with my first child, and I am desperate to have my parents here with me to help me with the baby and be part of our everyday lives.

From what I can see on the CIC website, we don't have many options in terms of immigration categories. My mum is a florist to trade, but has been working as an administrative supervisor in a health organisation for the past 13 years. She never had her own business practising floristry. My dad is a truck driver. They are 50 and 52 years old.

I know we will be able to apply under the family sponsorship class next year, but it seems it will take a minimum of 4 years to process. I am also aware of the Parent Super Visa, but that does not permit working and they will not be able to afford 4 years of not working.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions other than the family sponsorship class? Also, do you think it would be worthwhile hiring a lawyer to help with our situation?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling defeated - need help with parents immigration!

I'm sorry, but as you said, they don't have many options, nothing seems to have changed from the last time you posted - http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...igrate-720789/. A lawyer wouldn't be able to help, they have no access to any other visa routes.

They could try for a Temp Work Permit, although realistically that will be tough with their occupations. Could they afford for one of them to study? If so, look at study permits.

Do also check to see if your mum would qualify as a Skilled Worker, as NOC 0311 ('Managers in Healthcare') are on the list of eligible occupations. It wouldn't get them PR in time for the baby's arrival, but it would be a heck of a lot quicker than parental sponsorship.

Failing that, a supervisa would really be the only way they could get to Canada on anything other than a visitor visa before the baby is born I'm afraid.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 26th 2014 at 11:50 am.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling defeated - need help with parents immigration!

P.S. Just checking, but looking at your previous post you mentioned a sister who would now be 19/20 - is she still hoping to move to and if so, could she get an IEC visa so you at least have her when the baby arrives maybe? It would also give her a potential stepping stone to PR now you can no longer sponsor her.