Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Federal Skilled Workers (FSW) and Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) - Difference?

Federal Skilled Workers (FSW) and Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) - Difference?

Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

ributnaga is on a distinguished road
Default Federal Skilled Workers (FSW) and Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) - Difference?

I have been reading around the forums and I am confused on why some go the FSW route and some go to the PNP route. In particular I am trying to figure out which route should I be taking.

Some notes on myself
  • I am most likely going to NOT fall in any special category. I am in the IT industry.
  • I am going to be in Vancouver BC on a Temporary Worker's visa and will most likely then begin my FSW/PNP application locally when I properly arrive and settle.
  • I am aware that I need to get my Arranged Employment Opinion (AEO) for this type of application

So what I wonder is
- What are the advantages with the PNP compared to FSW (and vice versa)?
- The PNP sounds more complicated since I first have to go to the Provincial Level and after still apply to the Federal from what I understand

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federal Skilled Workers (FSW) and Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) - Difference?

Originally Posted by ributnaga
I am most likely going to NOT fall in any special category. I am in the IT industry.
Do you already have a job offer and LMO?

I am aware that I need to get my Arranged Employment Opinion (AEO) for this type of application
Nope. You'd only need an AEO if you were in the UK and applying via FSW category 2 (arranged employment). For FSW cat 2, you need either an AEO or LMO and valid TWP, not both.

So what I wonder is
- What are the advantages with the PNP compared to FSW (and vice versa)?
- The PNP sounds more complicated since I first have to go to the Provincial Level and after still apply to the Federal from what I understand

Thanks in advance for any replies.
A lot of people choose PNP because they aren't eligible for FSW - there are many semi-skilled PNP programs that allow occupations such as truck drivers to apply for PR, whereas they wouldn't be eligible under the FSW program. Many others choose it because there are some streams where a job offer isn't required, so they can apply for PR from the UK without needing to convince an employer to go through the paperwork/hassle/wait of the LMO etc.

But for most who are already working in Canada it will come down to convenience and timescales. The PNP has historically always been quicker than FSW, although it doesn't seem to be at the moment. Other choose FSW because they then don't need to ask their employer to do anything further (unlike the PNP) and can just get on with it themselves, or just because they don't want the obligation to stay in the province that nominated them.

Probably not much help, but it really will depend on your circumstances and personal choice.

Good luck.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Federal Skilled Workers (FSW) and Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) - Difference?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Do you already have a job offer and LMO?
Already have a job offer and LMO is currently in the process (started this week). Cross fingers that it goes well.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You'd only need an AEO if you were in the UK and applying via FSW category 2 (arranged employment). For FSW cat 2, you need either an AEO or LMO and valid TWP, not both.?
Ah I see now. I guess it does mean I can just go ahead and apply for FSW once I get into Canada with my TWP.

I think that clears it up for me thus far. Hopefully things don't change much by the time I actually get into Canada
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:58 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

The other advantage to the PNP is that once the province has nominated you then whilst the federal government processes the PR application the province can provide you with a letter (in lieu of an LMO) allowing you to obtain/extend a TWP.

Whereas if your TWP runs out whilst going through the FSW process then you still need to obtain an LMO again, especially as not having a valid TWP will cause your PR application to fail under some categories of arranged employment.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BTJ
The other advantage to the PNP is that once the province has nominated you then whilst the federal government processes the PR application the province can provide you with a letter (in lieu of an LMO) allowing you to obtain/extend a TWP.

Whereas if your TWP runs out whilst going through the FSW process then you still need to obtain an LMO again, especially as not having a valid TWP will cause your PR application to fail under some categories of arranged employment.
Oooh, good point there. I guess it will come down to how long I get in my TWP when it gets issues in the end, whether I get 1, 2 or 3 years on it.