Federal Skilled Worker

Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:09 am
Just Joined

lenam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Federal Skilled Worker

Hello to you all,
this is my first time contacting you all. I have been following the various threads and would like to say a big thank-you for taking the time to share your experiences

Heres the bit about me, I am a UK senior probation officer wanting to immigrate to Canada. I have the DipSW qualification that enables me to work as a Social Worker in England a . I undersatnd that Canada needs more Social Workers and you can get a Visa without a Job offer? Thats what I thought until I did the screen assessment on the CIS site . The result being I am eligable to apply under the federal skilled Worker route but I will need a job offer first . CIS have said their employment dept will get in touch with regarding jobs.
Has anybody else had a similar expereince or words of wisdom for me about applying via this route to Canada:confused

Thanks for reading
Old Feb 19th 2011, 6:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federal Skilled Worker

Originally Posted by lenam
Thats what I thought until I did the screen assessment on the CIS site . The result being I am eligable to apply under the federal skilled Worker route but I will need a job offer first . CIS have said their employment dept will get in touch with regarding jobs.
If all you've got is a qualificiation in Social Work, then you are not eligible as a FSW without a job offer - you'd need at least one year's full-time work experience as a Social Worker (in the past ten years) to qualify.

And what is the 'CIS site'? You should only be looking at the CIC website (www.cic.gc.ca) as this is the official Canadian government website which has all the most up to date information on.

HTH, good luck.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

lenam is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Christmasoompa,
I have a typo as you noticed . I should have wrote "CIC" not "CIS". To male it worse the response I received was not fron CIC it was from Visa bureau migration consultants in the uk!
I have consulted the CIC site and complted the online screening and I gained over 67 points. Social Workers are on the list as required skilled labour . Hence why I was confused when Visa Bureau Migration consultants in the UK said I need a Job offer. I am wondering if I need to contact another migration consultant firm???? any ideas much appreciated

I think I should give you a bit more info about me , please bear with me .............

I do have have experience as a Social Worker but mostly as a Probation Officer. The DipSW (university diploma covered both professions in the UK) . I am currently a Senior Probation in the North of England Liverpool . I manage a team of 16 probation officers. My work in the Probation Services stems 11 yrs . I also have an Aunt in Toronto , she emigrated to Canada during the 60's(she has retired now).

I am so grateful for your reply . I dont seem to be attracting much attention, I guess there are not many people out there who understood what I was trying to explain. I am glad you did

Maybe this time I have explained myself better
Old Feb 21st 2011, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

seems very straightforward to me, don't think you need an immigration consultant for any of it.
Yes, if you have over 67 points and you are on THE LIST you can apply. Of course read further through it, you need as well funding and have to prove experience/education.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lenam
I have consulted the CIC site and complted the online screening and I gained over 67 points. Social Workers are on the list as required skilled labour . Hence why I was confused when Visa Bureau Migration consultants in the UK said I need a Job offer.
Sounds to me as though they're absolutely right - as I said above, just having a qualification in Social Work isn't enough, you need at least one year's full-time work experience as a Social Worker to qualify. Being a probation officer presumably won't count as the duties (I'm guessing) are very different to those listed under the Social Worker NOC code, plus Probation Officer has it's own NOC code.

To qualify as a Skilled Worker you'll need to prove you do the duties listed under the NOC code, plus have enough points, proof of funds, pass a medical etc.

I can't see how you'd be eligible unless you've actually worked as a Social Worker, but only you know for sure. Do a quick search for Visa Bureau to see what's been said about them in the past on the forum, and maybe contact another one or two consultants for a free visa assessment so get a second opinion as well.

Good luck.