Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Federal Skilled Trade Certification

Federal Skilled Trade Certification

Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Emmasuede is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Federal Skilled Trade Certification

Hi All,

We have been advised by an immigration agent that we qualify to apply for PR under the Federal Skilled Trade Class, having been told on several occasion we can apply under certain classes by agents I am wary of this latest advise.

I have gone through all the papers associated to the class and most things seem in order except the certificate of qualification, having spoken to the trades secret adviser in Alberta they are telling us we can only get the certificate if sitting and exam in canada, but we have to send the certification with the visa application from outside of the UK.

Anybody been here and done it? can you shed some light on how we achieve this. We have no offer of employment, although be have spoken to over 30 companies that have told my husband to get in touch as soon as he lands. (he's a carpentry supervisor).

thanks
Old Nov 12th 2014, 11:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Federal Skilled Trade Certification

There's a lot of info on the forums about how to go about it, but from my limited knowledge he'll need to prove he's got a certain number of hours experience in the job and then apply to challenge the exam.

Do note though, that all economic classes are changing in January to an 'expression of interest' system which is predicted by most to make it much harder to qualify for, so you might want to get a wiggle on and try and apply before the end of December!

Best of luck.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks,

We have everything we need except the certificate of qualification, which we will not be able to get before the end of the year as it seems we would have to fly to canada to undertake the relevant exam to be issued with the certificate.

We have well over the hours needed, and all letters with this detailed on, we have english language IELTS, we have every single bit of paperwork need to send the application off, but seems we will miss out due to this Certificate of qualification :-( Just feeling very upset as we have done everything we can and always seem to miss out cause of one piece that wasn't clear.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 11:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emmasuede
We have well over the hours needed, and all letters with this detailed on, we have english language IELTS, we have every single bit of paperwork need to send the application off, but seems we will miss out due to this Certificate of qualification :-( Just feeling very upset as we have done everything we can and always seem to miss out cause of one piece that wasn't clear.
I'm sorry that you're down about it, but tbh I don't see how it's not clear? The CIC website states in the eligibility requirements that you need a job offer or provincial certification for the visa, plus it's in the application guide and the checklist? It's also been mentioned on your previous posts on the forum, perhaps you missed it - http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post11386139

If you don't think you can get it sorted before the end of the year, then the only thing you can do is keep an eye on the CIC website for info on the new system, and hope you're eligible to apply in 2015. You may need to get new copies of things such as your police certificates (as they must be less than 3 months old when submitted), but you can see what's on the new requirements and then get whatever you need to redone.

Best of luck for next year.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

jjbbc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,

We have everything we need except the certificate of qualification, which we will not be able to get before the end of the year as it seems we would have to fly to canada to undertake the relevant exam to be issued with the certificate.

Hi,
We are in exactly the same situation
Old Nov 12th 2014, 11:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Emma, I've just looked at your other posts and seen you were in Canada previously on a TWP - presumably your husband had his provincial cert (often called 'Red Seal') for that? So he might be able to just reuse it, I don't think he'd need to do it again or that it has a time limit on it?
Old Nov 13th 2014, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

He didn't have one as the jobs he worked were uncertified.

But thank you for your comments, they have made me feel much better
Old Nov 13th 2014, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

jjbbc - can you make head more tail of the provincial websites for trade certification. We have registered and got everything we need to submit for certification but it seems we have to do something extra to gain the correct ID but there is no help pages on the webpages to explain this. We are calling them tonight to ask but wondered if you had got further than us?

Many thanks

E
Old Nov 13th 2014, 12:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

He didn't have one as the jobs he worked were uncertified.
That's a shame. I did also wonder why he hadn't gone back over on a LMO exempt TWP if he was a carpenter heading for AB, but now I understand if he didn't have his Red Seal!

Best of luck with it, I hope you can get it sorted and qualify in 2015.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 1:36 am
Just Joined

jjbbc - can you make head more tail of the provincial websites for trade certification. We have registered and got everything we need to submit for certification but it seems we have to do something extra to gain the correct ID but there is no help pages on the webpages to explain this. We are calling them tonight to ask but wondered if you had got further than us?

Many thanks

E
Hi Emmasuede,

Sorry no Iam at a loss with it all.
We have everything in place ready to submitt apart from this certificate, for my husband who is a plumber he has all qualifications in uk and more than enough hours.
We havent registered yet, whats that all about.
All i can see now is that he has to get on a plane to Canada sit a exam come back to the uk and then we can submitt.If you ask me i think that is ridiculous plus all the expence alone that will cost e.g plane ticket,hotel,car food,exam....
Its all stressing me out
Old Nov 13th 2014, 1:37 am
Just Joined

Hi Emmasuede,

Sorry no Iam at a loss with it all.
We have everything in place ready to submitt apart from this certificate, for my husband who is a plumber he has all qualifications in uk and more than enough hours.
We havent registered yet, whats that all about.
All i can see now is that he has to get on a plane to Canada sit a exam come back to the uk and then we can submitt.If you ask me i think that is ridiculous plus all the expence alone that will cost e.g plane ticket,hotel,car food,exam....
Its all stressing me out
Old Nov 13th 2014, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Which province are you looking at moving too?

We are aiming for Alberta and there you have to register with the trades secrets in order to submit the application to be able to sit the exams to certify your trade (in our case Carpentry). Similarly my husband will have to fly out to sit the test to get the accreditation, the problem being that in order to apply prior to the change in Jan he will need to fly out in the next two weeks to ensure receiving results and submitting the application on his return.

Its all so confusing!!
Old Nov 13th 2014, 3:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by jjbbc
If you ask me i think that is ridiculous plus all the expence alone that will cost e.g plane ticket,hotel,car food,exam....
Its all stressing me out
Tbh, in the grand scheme of things and the cost of emigration, it's not much in comparison, but it will mean he can work for anybody he chooses and you move with the security of PR.

The alternative is for him to get a job offer and go over on a TWP, but that's far less secure and he'd likely earn less as well until he's certified (he'd need to do it no matter what, as it's a regulated trade), so it may be a worthwhile investment.

Bottom line is that it's a requirement for the visa and you can't apply without it (well, you could, but it would just be rejected!), so it's either got to be done, or you choose another visa route.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 3:51 am
Just Joined

Ontario hopefully