Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

FBI (U.S.) police report for CPP-O: "...with fingerprints", +/- an "Apostille"?

FBI (U.S.) police report for CPP-O: "...with fingerprints", +/- an "Apostille"?

Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default FBI (U.S.) police report for CPP-O: "...with fingerprints", +/- an "Apostille"?

(1.) Observation/FYI: I had to be ink-fingerprinted on 2 separate occasions at a U.S. police station in Seattle (01/2013, & then again in 03/2013), before the prints that I'd then couriered to the FBI (Clarksburg, WV) each time were deemed by them (i.e., the FBI themselves) to be of sufficient quality such that they could then issue me with a certified copy of my squeaky-clean criminal/arrest record in the U.S. (which I could then use to support my application for Canadian PR at CPP-O). So a lesson learned the hard way: I should've made damned effing sure that the regular U.S. beat cop who was about to record my fingerprints in ink on a card each time was bloody well 100% familiar with (despite his full-of-himself assurances that all would be well) with how to capture ink-fingerprints to the FBI's required standards.

(2.) Query: CIC's blurb on obtaining a U.S. police certificate to support a PR application says that one should mail to them (i.e., to CIC) an FBI "certificate with fingerprints." But the certified document that was provided to me by the FBI (it came to me by regular mail in mid-April 2013) didn't have my fingerprint card attached to it. So my question is this: for a U.S. police certificate to support a PR application, does CIC really want a physical copy of my inky fingerprints, or not? The FBI clearly say in their letter back to me that their policy (evidently since August 17th 2009) has been to not return fingerprint cards "In order to protect personally identifiable information..." So has CIC simply not yet brought their requirements page for U.S. (FBI) police reports up-to-date yet? Or is one actually expected to send CIC/CPP-O a separate copy of one's ink-on-card fingerprints in order to support one's U.S. background check?

(3.) Query: The official police report document which I received from the FBI duly had their Seal on it (but it's not their old raised Seal), & it was duly signed etc. by their authority. But there's a separate 2nd letter on a small sheaf of paper that accompanies their official letter in its envelope, & it mentions something which CIC doesn't: getting an "Apostille" from the U.S. Dept. of State (FBI: "If you require an Apostille..."). So my question is this: does CIC require that FBI police certificates should have an Apostille from the U.S. Dept. of State, or not?

With thanks in advance for any advice as any of you might be able to provide in this matter.

My journey towards Canadian PR via PNP (no immigration lawyer retained at any stage):
TWP #1 (09/2010, for 1yr).
TWP #2 (10/2011, for 1yr).
TWP #3 (10/2012, for 2yrs, after ticking “Temp. with intent to perm.” box on LMO application).
AINP (11/2012; ~3wks to be processed & approved, after 1 query back for a clarification).
PR Application sent to CIO, Sydney, NS (01/2013).
Receipt of Application acknowledged by e-mails (same day) from CIO & CPP-O (02/2013).
U.K. Police Clearance Report forwarded by courier to CPP-O (02/2013).
Australian Police Clearance Report & Driver Record forwarded by courier to CPP-O (02/2013).
Medical requested by CIC/CPP-O (02/2013).
Medical done in Seattle, WA (03/2013).
U.S. (F.B.I.) Police Clearance Report forwarded to CPP-O (04/2013).
Medical results acknowledged on e-CAS (05/2013).
RPRF payment requested by CIC/CPP-O (06/2013).
07/31st/2013: an e-mail from CPP-O demanding all 3 police clearance certificates by 8/31st; 20mins later a 2nd e-mail from CPP-O saying that they’d just managed to locate my British & Australian police reports, but still demanding the U.S./F.B.I. police clearance certificate by 8/31st.
08/2nd/2013: e-CAS still only acknowledging receipt of Application & Medical...
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:23 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FBI (U.S.) police report for CPP-O: "...with fingerprints", +/- an "Apostille"?

I think you have misinterpreted CIC requirements.

It's doesn't say that you must include the fingerprints to them, it says you must send the fingerprints to the FBI.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ted-states.asp

mail the letter, fingerprints and fee payment to:
FBI, Criminal Justice Information Services Division

The FBI will send you a letter with the results of their record check. That letter will be your police certificate. You should send the letter and any attached documents to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada office processing your file. All police certificates must be originals. Photocopies will not be accepted by our office.

I couldn't see anything on the CIC website that specified they required an Apostille.

Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FBI (U.S.) police report for CPP-O: "...with fingerprints", +/- an "Apostille"?

Originally Posted by siouxie
I think you have misinterpreted CIC requirements.

It's doesn't say that you must include the fingerprints to them, it says you must send the fingerprints to the FBI.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ted-states.asp

mail the letter, fingerprints and fee payment to:
FBI, Criminal Justice Information Services Division

The FBI will send you a letter with the results of their record check. That letter will be your police certificate. You should send the letter and any attached documents to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada office processing your file. All police certificates must be originals. Photocopies will not be accepted by our office.

I couldn't see anything on the CIC website that specified they required an Apostille.

Thanks for your prompt & helpful response, Siouxie.

You're perfectly correct regarding there being no mention anywhere in CIC's blurb about any requirement whatsoever for an accompanying "Apostille".

But regarding the fingerprints, it's still unclear to me, & I quote CIC here verbatim:

"How to obtain a police certificate - United States.

Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?

Yes, Applicants should provide a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) certificate with fingerprints. State certificates may also be requested. The Visa Office will advise you if state certificates are required in your case."

So, to a native speaker of English that bolded sentence literally says that one should send one's fingerprints to CIC/CPP-O, no?

My journey towards Canadian PR via PNP (no immigration lawyer retained at any stage):
TWP #3 (10/2012, for 2yrs, after ticking “Temp. with intent to perm.” box on LMO application).
AINP (11/2012; ~3wks to be processed & approved, after 1 query back for a clarification).
Receipt of Application acknowledged by e-mails (same day) from CIO & CPP-O (02/2013).
Australian Police Clearance Report & Driver Record forwarded by courier to CPP-O (02/2013).
U.S. (F.B.I.) Police Clearance Report forwarded by courier to CPP-O (04/2013).
07/31st/2013: an e-mail from CPP-O demanding all 3 police clearance certificates by 8/31st; 20mins later another e-mail from CPP-O saying they’d located my British & Australian police reports, but still demanding the U.S./F.B.I. police clearance certificate by 8/31st.
08/2nd/2013: e-CAS still only acknowledging receipt of Application & Medical…
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:43 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You are welcome.

It may say that in the lead statement, however, in the following information given it clearly states that you need only send the letter and any attached documents to CIC.

Old Aug 2nd 2013, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

You are welcome.

It may say that in the lead statement, however, in the following information given it clearly states that you need only send the letter and any attached documents to CIC.

Understood. Then CIC simply need a native English-speaker to help them out by re-writing their opening sentence for them regarding U.S. (FBI) police certificates.

Actually CIC's linguistic inconsistencies are of infinitely less concern to me today than their revelation of 2 days ago that they've apparently lost the U.S./FBI police certificate which I'd couriered to CPP-O back in mid-April.

Somehow it seems that it never made it from CPP-O's Mail Room (where its delivery was duly signed-for) to my case-file upstairs. Now they're demanding that I provide it to them before 8/31st.

If the twerps had been regularly updating my e-CAS record as they're supposed to do (& get paid to do, I've no doubt), then I'd have known that there was an evident problem to be chased-up over three months ago.

I'm going to thoroughly enjoy knowing that my taxes are paying for these PS gits' retirement benefits in years to come. These people simply wouldn't be able to hold down a job out in the big bad world of the private sector.

U.S. (F.B.I.) Police Clearance Report forwarded by courier to CPP-O (04/2013).
07/31st/2013: an e-mail from CPP-O demanding all 3 police clearance certificates by 8/31st; 20mins later another e-mail from CPP-O saying they’d located my British & Australian police reports, but still demanding the U.S./F.B.I. police clearance certificate by 8/31st.
08/2nd/2013: e-CAS still only acknowledging receipt of Application & Medical…
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 6:17 am
Banned

Yes, I read about that debacle in a separate thread.

Have you emailed and sent them evidence of delivery and asked them to recheck your physical file to ensure it isn't in there? If your reply using an email they have previously sent you will normally get a response quite quickly.

Old Aug 2nd 2013, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I read about that debacle in a separate thread.

Have you emailed and sent them evidence of delivery and asked them to recheck your physical file to ensure it isn't in there? If your reply using an email they have previously sent you will normally get a response quite quickly.

Hi Siouxie,

Yes, I immediately reply-emailed them on 7/31st, faxed them yesterday, & 'Purolatored' a hardcopy response to them overnight last night from here in Edmonton, which was delivered to CPP-O's Mail Room (& was duly signed-for) ~3hrs ago.

No response at all so far to any of my urgent communications asking them to kindly go open my case-file & to please use their eyes when double-checking for it diligently amongst everything else in my voluminous case-file.

Per a kind Francophone CIC telephone-operator's suggestion yesterday, I'll be going to our local MP's office here in Edmonton on Tuesday next week in order to ask them to make a phone call to shake CPP-O's tree for me.

If still no joy, then I expect that I'll simply have to apply (which'd be the 3rd time I'll have written to the FBI) for another FBI police report, which I'd then hand-deliver to CPP-O myself so that I'd be able to look the staff over in their Mail Room, try to figure which one's got an ounce of gumption, & to then gently impress upon that select individual the importance of her/him doing their damned job.