FBI checks query

Old Jan 10th 2008, 3:32 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default FBI checks query

Hi

I once lived in the USA for >6mo so need police checks from there as well as UK.
I followed CIC website(1) to FBI site(2), got forms(3), cover letter(4) etc. Got prints from local cop shop (£39 each!! gah!). Now I need to send them to FBI with payment.

Question is how best to pay.
There HAS to be something better than what I _think_ the alternatives are and I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who knows the ropes. Note - I need expedited service from FBI due to 90-days PNP limit for filing to CIC. The "normal" FBI turnaround times are really bad (16-18 WEEKS? - From a country that put men on the moon? WTF is with that?)

Payment Options:
1. No personal checks or cash (OK - I got that)
2. Credit card form but "Credit cards will not be used for expedited mail services"(4)
3. "money order, certified check" accepted BUT local bank says its like £25 to order one and I have to wait a week for it to be delivered.

So can someone please advise whats best. The FBI website is less than clear. The assistant at my bank didnt even know what the FBI meant by "money order, certified check".

Is there something ive missed? Can I use Western Union? Does the credit card payment REALLY disqualify me from benefiting from the "expedited mail services"? What does the FBI mean by "expedited mail services" in the first place?

Cheers
wbx

References
(1) http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ted-states.asp

(2)
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm

(3)
http://www.fbi.gov/filelink.html?fil...df/fpcardb.pdf

(4)
http://www.fbi.gov/filelink.html?fil...ver_letter.pdf

Last edited by wbexpat; Jan 10th 2008 at 3:34 pm. Reason: added references
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:13 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FBI checks query

sorry to bump this but I'm a bit stuck.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Ethel has a brilliant futureEthel has a brilliant futureEthel has a brilliant futureEthel has a brilliant futureEthel has a brilliant futureEthel has a brilliant futureEthel has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wbexpat
sorry to bump this but I'm a bit stuck.
From what I understand - you can go to a local bank and just ask for a Bank draft / Money order payable to XXXX in the amount of $$$.

For my experience, this is very instant and that you just need to pay the fee and they will just prepare on the spot. Bank draft seems to be the most viable and only option if you want to go ahead with the expedited service.

Note: Bank draft is just like a cheque but the difference is that the bank backs it so FBI will have full confidence of the fund clearance.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:23 pm
Truro NS

Originally Posted by Ethel
From what I understand - you can go to a local bank and just ask for a Bank draft / Money order payable to XXXX in the amount of $$$.

For my experience, this is very instant and that you just need to pay the fee and they will just prepare on the spot. Bank draft seems to be the most viable and only option if you want to go ahead with the expedited service.

Note: Bank draft is just like a cheque but the difference is that the bank backs it so FBI will have full confidence of the fund clearance.

Hmm. Our bank said it was £25 per money order and we would need to wait a week for it to arrive. Am I missing something?
Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:47 pm
Truro NS

A also email the US Govt department responsible for this.
I have posted the exchange below in the hope someone else finds it useful (names changed to protect the innocent). Actually their chap was very helpful and did sort of acknowledge that the website was less then clear.

Take home message:
YES you can use UK credit cards and
NO it doesnt take anywhere near "16-18 weeks" for processing.

Thanks everyone - particulalry Ethel.

wbexpat,

Our website can really stand some updating.

Our turnaround time for all work now runs only about five to ten business days. Actually, most of it gets out in about five days if we're not too backed up.

You can pay by credit card. In the past, the statement you noted just meant that credit cards didn't automatically get preferential treatment.
We accept any Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express credit card on the completed form. I am attaching a blank copy for your convenience.

You will have to send us the following items: a completed fingerprint form, payment for exactly $18, and a letter of request. Our mailing address is below.

Our normal method of return shipment is 1st Class US Mail at no cost to you. If you desire return shipment by courier service, you will have to provide a PREPAID return courier envelope. We cannot accept any third party billing, such as by credit card, for any courier service.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Gary

Monetary Instrument Handling
Criminal Justice Information Services Division
Federal Bureau of Investigation
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306

Fax (304)625-5236

[email protected]

----- Original Message -----
Date: Friday, January 11, 2008 11:01 am
Subject: query

> Dear Sir/Madam
>
> please help. I am unclear what to do.
>
> 1. I am a UK based Briton.
> 2. I have applied for Canadian permanent residency.
> 3. As such I need a US Police Certificate (I lived there 1993-1995).
> 4. This takes the form of FBI Identification Record - hence this
> email.5. I would like to pay by credit card for this service.
> 6. There are Canada-imposed deadlines meaning 16-18 weeks will not
> work.
> Questions:
>
> Can I use a UK credit card? Sometimes US authorities require US
> C/Cards.
> Your site says "Credit cards will not be used for expedited mail
> services". I don't understand this statement. Does it mean I
> cannot use
> credit card if I want my check processed more quickly than 16-18
> weeks?
> Please help!
>
> wbexpat
>
>
>
>
Old Jan 12th 2008, 2:08 am
Just Joined

Ethel has a brilliant futureEthel has a brilliant futureEthel has a brilliant futureEthel has a brilliant futureEthel has a brilliant futureEthel has a brilliant futureEthel has a brilliant future

A also email the US Govt department responsible for this.
I have posted the exchange below in the hope someone else finds it useful (names changed to protect the innocent). Actually their chap was very helpful and did sort of acknowledge that the website was less then clear.

Take home message:
YES you can use UK credit cards and
NO it doesnt take anywhere near "16-18 weeks" for processing.

Thanks everyone - particulalry Ethel.

wbexpat,

Our website can really stand some updating.

Our turnaround time for all work now runs only about five to ten business days. Actually, most of it gets out in about five days if we're not too backed up.

You can pay by credit card. In the past, the statement you noted just meant that credit cards didn't automatically get preferential treatment.
We accept any Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express credit card on the completed form. I am attaching a blank copy for your convenience.

You will have to send us the following items: a completed fingerprint form, payment for exactly $18, and a letter of request. Our mailing address is below.

Our normal method of return shipment is 1st Class US Mail at no cost to you. If you desire return shipment by courier service, you will have to provide a PREPAID return courier envelope. We cannot accept any third party billing, such as by credit card, for any courier service.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Gary

Monetary Instrument Handling
Criminal Justice Information Services Division
Federal Bureau of Investigation
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306

Fax (304)625-5236

[email protected]

----- Original Message -----
Date: Friday, January 11, 2008 11:01 am
Subject: query

> Dear Sir/Madam
>
> please help. I am unclear what to do.
>
> 1. I am a UK based Briton.
> 2. I have applied for Canadian permanent residency.
> 3. As such I need a US Police Certificate (I lived there 1993-1995).
> 4. This takes the form of FBI Identification Record - hence this
> email.5. I would like to pay by credit card for this service.
> 6. There are Canada-imposed deadlines meaning 16-18 weeks will not
> work.
> Questions:
>
> Can I use a UK credit card? Sometimes US authorities require US
> C/Cards.
> Your site says "Credit cards will not be used for expedited mail
> services". I don't understand this statement. Does it mean I
> cannot use
> credit card if I want my check processed more quickly than 16-18
> weeks?
> Please help!
>
> wbexpat
>
>
>
>
If its so much of a hassle getting bank draft then you should go ahead with the Credit card. It was hinted in the email that you could attach prepaid envelope if you want expedited mail. You can just go to UPS and register there and print yourself a self addressed label and put that label in your envelope (dont forget to put the sender as from the FBI). This will take you at most 15 minutes and save you a lot of heartache.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 11:31 am
Truro NS

Update for those of you who lived in the USA and need FBI checks for Canada.

I just got my results back.
It took 4 weeks from sending to receiving reply - much faster than the 14-16 weeks quoted by the FBI. Payment by credit card was accepted by them.

The only downside is my wife's prints were rejected as they were quite faint.
The moral of the tale is to get your local cop shop to do the job right. The copper who served us didnt seem entirely sure what to do. A shame as it cost £39. I am hoping they will do it again for free.

No matter, mine is the main one for now.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

chazcanning has a spectacular aura aboutchazcanning has a spectacular aura aboutchazcanning has a spectacular aura about

I wish I'd found this thread earlier . My cousin is a cop in Virginia beach and one of his buddies works for the FBI in Clarksburg in West Virginia. As I thought i'd need checks from the US he gave me all the info in what to do . It turned out that i didn't need a check as i'd only been there for 6 months . I still have the $18 draft that was required which is only payable to the treasury of united states. so if anyone needs one they can buy mine. You got of lightly with the finger prints I had to go to Kidlington HQ and they charged £90 a copy .
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 4:57 pm
Truro NS

Originally Posted by chazcanning

I wish I'd found this thread earlier . My cousin is a cop in Virginia beach and one of his buddies works for the FBI in Clarksburg in West Virginia. As I thought i'd need checks from the US he gave me all the info in what to do . It turned out that i didn't need a check as i'd only been there for 6 months . I still have the $18 draft that was required which is only payable to the treasury of united states. so if anyone needs one they can buy mine. You got of lightly with the finger prints I had to go to Kidlington HQ and they charged £90 a copy .
Whoa. Thats a shocker.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

chazcanning has a spectacular aura aboutchazcanning has a spectacular aura aboutchazcanning has a spectacular aura about

I've got a spare set if she wants mine
Old Nov 29th 2008, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

StefkeUK is on a distinguished road

Hi,
We are now trying to sort out the policy check. My wife is from the US so she need the background check from the FBI. I have booked today an appointment for the finger print but they request a letter who justifie that she need to do those finger print.

What have you used as a letter of reference ? i'm not sure what to use.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Stefke
Old Nov 29th 2008, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

LynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the rough

Hi

I once lived in the USA for >6mo so need police checks from there as well as UK.
I followed CIC website(1) to FBI site(2), got forms(3), cover letter(4) etc. Got prints from local cop shop (£39 each!! gah!). Now I need to send them to FBI with payment.

Question is how best to pay.
There HAS to be something better than what I _think_ the alternatives are and I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who knows the ropes. Note - I need expedited service from FBI due to 90-days PNP limit for filing to CIC. The "normal" FBI turnaround times are really bad (16-18 WEEKS? - From a country that put men on the moon? WTF is with that?)

Payment Options:
1. No personal checks or cash (OK - I got that)
2. Credit card form but "Credit cards will not be used for expedited mail services"(4)
3. "money order, certified check" accepted BUT local bank says its like £25 to order one and I have to wait a week for it to be delivered.

So can someone please advise whats best. The FBI website is less than clear. The assistant at my bank didnt even know what the FBI meant by "money order, certified check".

Is there something ive missed? Can I use Western Union? Does the credit card payment REALLY disqualify me from benefiting from the "expedited mail services"? What does the FBI mean by "expedited mail services" in the first place?

Cheers
wbx

References
(1) http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ted-states.asp

(2)
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm

(3)
http://www.fbi.gov/filelink.html?fil...df/fpcardb.pdf

(4)
http://www.fbi.gov/filelink.html?fil...ver_letter.pdf
Sent our fingerprints off last week to FBI and just used the credit card form. I had read the 3-4 weeks processing somewhere so didn't think it would be an issue. Our Cheshire police charged us £60 a piece for the prints though! I must have been their most compliant visitor at the local station as I wanted a perfect set! Sent mail Airsure and seems to have arrived there OK.
Cheers
Lynsey
Old Nov 29th 2008, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

nuin has a spectacular aura aboutnuin has a spectacular aura aboutnuin has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by StefkeUK
Hi,
We are now trying to sort out the policy check. My wife is from the US so she need the background check from the FBI. I have booked today an appointment for the finger print but they request a letter who justifie that she need to do those finger print.

What have you used as a letter of reference ? i'm not sure what to use.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Stefke
Hi

I just sent a short letter explaining that I need the clearance in order to send it to the Canadian consulate that was processing my Permanent Residency process. Usual opening and closing, thanking the FBI quick assessment of my request. Nothing more than that, no letter of reference.

HTH

Paulo
Old Nov 29th 2008, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

StefkeUK is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by nuin
Hi

I just sent a short letter explaining that I need the clearance in order to send it to the Canadian consulate that was processing my Permanent Residency process. Usual opening and closing, thanking the FBI quick assessment of my request. Nothing more than that, no letter of reference.

HTH

Paulo
Hi paulo,

I know the FBI won't be a problem. it s the police in england that want this letter in order for them to do those finger print.

So to rephrase my question: What type of letter did you gave to the british police in roder for them to accept to do this finger print ?

Thanks

Stefke
Old Nov 29th 2008, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

nuin has a spectacular aura aboutnuin has a spectacular aura aboutnuin has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by StefkeUK
Hi paulo,

I know the FBI won't be a problem. it s the police in england that want this letter in order for them to do those finger print.

So to rephrase my question: What type of letter did you gave to the british police in roder for them to accept to do this finger print ?

Thanks

Stefke
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. Hope someone here would have a solution for you.

Cheers
Paulo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.