FBI and AOR

Old Dec 11th 2005, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

panadol is a jewel in the roughpanadol is a jewel in the roughpanadol is a jewel in the roughpanadol is a jewel in the rough
Default FBI and AOR

Hi folks,

A couple of questions:

1) I have been hearing rumours that an FBI police certificate (for US clearance) is not sufficient as CIC may require clearance from the STATE you live in as well - the reason often cited is that certain state offences do not get recorded on a federal level. Is there any truth to this?

2) My AOR does not specifically provide a tentative timeline - it merely says that I should try not to contact CIC for 12 months, if I have submitted all required documents. Does this suggest that 12 months is an indication of when the application gets anywhere? Thanks in advance.

I must say I was pretty impressed with CIC in Colombo - they called me up in the US the day they received my application, to inform me that their fees had recently increased (the info on their website hadn't changed to reflect this) and asked me to let them have the balance money asap - even created a file number for me as we spoke.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 11:42 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FBI and AOR

Originally Posted by panadol
Hi folks,

A couple of questions:

1) I have been hearing rumours that an FBI police certificate (for US clearance) is not sufficient as CIC may require clearance from the STATE you live in as well - the reason often cited is that certain state offences do not get recorded on a federal level. Is there any truth to this?
Hi Panadol - can only comment on the FBI question. I lived in Mississippi for a few years and when I contacted them for advice on a state police check they said that all their checks were done through the FBI and that would cover me. So I just sent fingerprints to FBI in Virginia and three weeks later had a clearance certificate from them. HTH J
Old Dec 12th 2005, 1:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by panadol
Hi folks,

A couple of questions:

That was the story according to our lawyer in Toronto. My partner has had to request the information from four states as well as the FBI and the RCMP and Scotland Yard. We'll be dead before they all reply.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:59 am
Tab
Forum Regular

Tab is on a distinguished road

No need for any state check with our applications (US). CAIPS notes show the security check complete, so it was good enough.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 11:51 am
Just Joined

retropc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
That was the story according to our lawyer in Toronto. My partner has had to request the information from four states as well as the FBI and the RCMP and Scotland Yard. We'll be dead before they all reply.
Does it vary depending on the type of application? Or perhaps by state? Or is this a new requirement?

I applied as an in-Canada sponsored spouse, and sent FBI clearance with my application. Today I received a letter saying that I have to submit a state police certificate. The letter also says that I have to submit a certificate from England, although I haven't lived there since 1993. According to both the Guide, and the letter, the requirement applies only if I lived there for more than 6 months in the last 10 years. (I don't think I've spent six months total over there in the last 10 years.)

Regarding US clearance, I assumed the FBI form was required from reading the Buffalo office forms (when I was considering applying as a skilled worker, before I was married). Checking the in-Canada sponsored form, no specification is made as to where to get the US clearance.

I think I'll be calling CIC for confirmation tomorrow.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 2:46 pm
Tab
Forum Regular

Tab is on a distinguished road

Maybe they want to pick up on misdemeanors and traffic tickets that would not be shown on the NCIC report. They are in the driver's seat, so I guess you have to go along for the ride. Good luck.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

panadol is a jewel in the roughpanadol is a jewel in the roughpanadol is a jewel in the roughpanadol is a jewel in the rough

tres bizarro indeed. State police certs. don't seem to be asked for in the preliminary lot of documents you're asked to send. I guess the thing to do is to sit tight until you're asked for them... Thanks for the replies!
Old Dec 12th 2005, 11:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retropc
Does it vary depending on the type of application? Or perhaps by state? Or is this a new requirement?

I applied as an in-Canada sponsored spouse, and sent FBI clearance with my application. Today I received a letter saying that I have to submit a state police certificate. The letter also says that I have to submit a certificate from England, although I haven't lived there since 1993. According to both the Guide, and the letter, the requirement applies only if I lived there for more than 6 months in the last 10 years. (I don't think I've spent six months total over there in the last 10 years.)

Regarding US clearance, I assumed the FBI form was required from reading the Buffalo office forms (when I was considering applying as a skilled worker, before I was married). Checking the in-Canada sponsored form, no specification is made as to where to get the US clearance.

I can't say I know all the requirements, what happened to us this summer was that the lawyer sent us to a firm of retired cops in suburban Toronto who do only police checks. They had the addresses and procedures for what seemed to be every jurisdiction in the world. They said the requirement was for a clearance for every place where the applicant has lived for a total of six months in the past ten years. They were familiar with the procedure for the UK and several of the states, Utah slowed them for a moment but the forms were duly sent that day. They seemed knowledgable but we'll have to see which states respond.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:40 am
Just Joined

retropc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by retropc
According to both the Guide, and the letter, the requirement applies only if I lived there for more than 6 months in the last 10 years. (I don't think I've spent six months total over there in the last 10 years.)

Calls made... The advice on the UK clearance was to write to CIC to explain that I haven't lived in the UK in the last 10 years, and provide documentation. They weren't able to suggest what this documentation might be - my application already documents addresses in the US and Canada covering the last 12+ years. Over the phone they weren't able to confirm anything directly regarding my application.

So, back to International Fingerprinting Services this afternoon to set the state application in motion (the state website says 10-15 business days for processing), and I guess I'll get a UK check done just in case its needed.